In the year 1857 Mr. HALE married for his second wife, SOPHIA D. MILLER, second daughter of H. A. MILLER, of Great Bend, Jefferson county, N. Y., and to whom he was greatly attached. Mr. HALE died May 5, 1874, his loss regretted by a large circle of friends and deeply mourned by his surviving partner. His life was a busy and active one, and by his cheerful disposition and generous warm-heartedness he drew around him many warm friends. His hand was ever ready and his purse open to those who needed help.
Mrs. HALE, widow of CHAUNCY H. HALE, is very pleasantly situated in Canastota, giving to her husband's memory all the love and tenderness that she lavished so freely upon him while living, trusting that when she too is called they will be re-united where partings never come.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 736.
When he was twenty-one he married Mary KNOX, daughter of JOHN and JENNY (CAMPBELL) KNOX, of Blandford, Mass. She was born July 16, 1782.
DAVID and MARY HAMILTON has eleven children, four sons and seven daughters, viz: MONISNA, born May 22, 1799, still living; PERCIA, born May 10, 1803, died in infancy; SALLY, born July 1, 1805, died in September, 1812; LEVERETT, born April 16, 1807, married ROXANA LUCAS, April, 1836, died March 29, 1850; BETSEY E, born June 18, 1809, married DAVID WELLINGTON, February, 1830; ALMOND D., born Dec. 23, 1811, died March 1, 1813; DAVID A., born Jan 16, 1814, married LUCY CHAPHE, September, 1839; SARAH L., born April 2, 1816, married LOVANDER LUCAS, January, 1839, died March 6, 1840; MARCIA R., born Sept. 24, 1818; SAMUEL W., born Jan. 20, 1821, married ELIZABETH MORROW, January, 1852; and MARY J., born May 26, 1823.
DAVID, after his settlement here, following farming until within a few years of his death, which occurred Oct. 28, 1858. His wife died July 9, 1860.
He was a Democrat, and took great interest in the success of his party. He was an upright, conscientious man, and had the respect of his townsmen, and was highly esteemed by all whose good fortune it was to know him intimately. In all his dealings with his fellow men he was just and honorable.
He belonged to no religious denomination, but was an attendant of the Universalist church in Erieville.
His funeral services were held at his former home, and were conducted by a Baptist clergyman. His wife was a Presbyterian. She was a devoted wife and an affectionate mother. The town of Nelson lost, in the death of this venerable couple, two of its most useful and honorable citizens, and their memory is revered by a large circle of acquaintances and a fond family.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 645.
He is the eldest in a family of six children, five of whom are now living. His parents WILLIAM and SEMANTHA HARRIS were, with the exception of a few years, life-long residents of Cazenovia. The doctor's facilities for securing an early education, except those of the district schools were far inferior to those of the present day. Much of his time during the early years of his life was, in the summer, occupied in agricultural pursuits. Having a desire for mental culture and discipline, he spent a large share of his leisure time in reading and study. This method of securing an education without collegiate advantages was attended with many difficulties, which with decision of character and persevering effort he overcame, and at the age of twenty-one years, with a desire for honorable distinction, and the means of obtaining a competence, he entered the office of Dr. GEORGE SHELDON, a prominent and successful practitioner of the time, and commenced the study of medicine. A previous though somewhat limited knowledge of Physiology and Anatomy, was now made available in the further prosecution of his medical studies.
In the year 1848 having concluded the requisite course of reading and study and being deemed qualified by a board of medical examiners he commenced the practice of medicine. In 1854, he was married to Miss SARAH N. HATCH, of Cazenovia. As the result of this union, during an interval of thirteen years, four children were born, three of whom, two sons and one daughter are now living. During a long residence in Cazenovia, and an extensive and successful practice, extending over a term of thirty years, the doctor has found time to fill several official positions of trust to which he has been elected by an intelligent constituency. For a term of years he held the position of surgeon on the staff of Col. T. F. PETRIE and Col. JAMES WHITFORD. In the spring of 1862 having sustained a creditable examination he received the diploma of the Metropolitan Medical College. In 1864 he passed the examination of the Board of Censors and was duly elected a permanent member of the Eclectic Medical Society of the State of New York.
At the Annual Meeting of the Society in New York, Dr. HARRIS was unanimously elected president of the same and as an executive officer contributes to the success of that body, and the credit of himself.
The doctor has for many years been closely identified with, and a zealous worker in the cause of temperance, a co-laborer with others for the elevation of humanity.
An acute sense of individual responsibility and a strong conviction of accountability present and future has ever made him an earnest student, and worker in the cause of reform. As a citizen, Dr. HARRIS has the esteem and confidence of the community. As a physician a constantly increasing and eminently successful practice speaks for itself.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 683.
HORACE lived at home and attend the district school until he was ten years old; he never attended school after that age. He then went to the town of Deerfield, Franklin county, Mass., to live with his uncle, and learned the trade of tanner and currier, and followed that occupation until he came to Georgetown in 1814. The entire distance from Massachusetts was made on foot. He followed various occupations here for about a year, and then went back to Massachusetts and remained another year. He then came back to Georgetown in company with his parents. They settled on Lot 58, and lived there until they died, -the father aged ninety-four years, and the mother forty-nine years. HORACE lived on the old home farm until he died, December 6th, 1876, and the same is now owned and occupied by his son Austin.
In 1820, HORACE married HANNAH, daughter of GIDEON BORDWELL, of the town of Shelburne, Franklin county, Mass. She was born March 12th, 1799. By her he had nine children, namely: GIDEON BORDWELL, born February 26th, 1821, died September 17th, 1823; a son, died in infancy; POLLY, born February 24th, 1823, died May 22d, 1872; JOHN Q., born March 31st, 1825, married PALMYRA C. NILES, August 31st, 1848; RHODA, born January 26th, 1827, married BENJAMIN FLETCHER, of Georgetown, in 1847; ELI, born January 15th, 1829, married first, FLORA DOUGLASS, and for his second wife, ELIZABETH PORTER, both of Wisconsin, where he is now residing in Dodge county; a daughter, born January 24th, 1831, died in infancy; AUSTIN, born January 30th, 1833, married SUSAN S. WADSWORTH, January 3d, 1855, she died May 1st, 1855, -his second wife, ARVILLA A. AMSBRY, he married June 1st, 1859; and SALLY B., born January 19th, 1835, married JOHN FLETCHER, in January 1857, and is now residing in Lake City, Minnesota. Six years after the death of his first wife, Mr. HAWKS married Miss TRYPHENA BORDWELL, a cousin of the former. By her he had no children.
Mr. HAWKS is remembered by the people of Georgetown as one of the most prominent and useful citizens of the town during a long and busy life. He was chosen by them to fill some of its most important and responsible offices, and served the town in all these places with a fidelity and honesty of purpose that won for him the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens of all parties.
In the second year of his residence in Georgetown, he was elected to the office of Constable and Collector, which was the start in his long and honorable career. He was elected Justice of the Peace, and held that office about twenty years. He was also elected Supervisor of his town, and held that office a number of years. In 1840, he was appointed Enumerator in taking the United States Census that year. In 1844, he was elected to the Legislature, and took his seat in the following year. He was appointed Appraiser of lands taken by the Syracuse & Utica Railroad, now the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. He was also elected President of the Eaton and Georgetown Plank Road Company, and held that office until he died; and during the twenty-eight years he held the office he never missed the annual meetings of the Company but twice. In 1870, he was appointed by Judge KENNEDY to the office of Railroad Commissioner. In his early years he took up the study of surveying, and during the first year of his residence here he engaged in all parts of the surrounding country making surveys of lands.
In politics, Mr. HAWKS was a staunch Democrat, frank and fearless in advocating the measures and principles of his party. He possessed strong common sense and uncommon sagacity in business affairs. He was a good neighbor, and kind friend, an affectionate husband, and loving father. In religious sentiment he was a Congregationalist, and united with that Church in Georgetown in 1831. He helped to build the Church in that village, and was Trustee and Clerk of the Society several years, and was liberal of his means in aid of the same. He was a member of the American Bible Society more than forty years and until he died, and made all of his children life members of the same.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 586.
EPHRAIM came to the town of Cazenovia, with his parents when he was three years old. They settled at a little place in the town of Peth, where they resided the most of the time after their settlement in the town. His father was a tailor by occupation and followed the business during his active life.
The early years of EPHRAIM were spent at home and he was put to learn the carpenter's and joiner's trade, when he was fifteen years old, which business he followed almost exclusively till 1860. He settled on the farm where he now resides in 1850, and has added to his first purchase until he has about 300 acres. Sept. 7th, 1830, he was married to CHARLOTTE M., daughter of SAMUEL and CHARLOTTE (MILLS) MORRIS. Her father was born in R. I., 1768, and died in Cazenovia, , 1860; her mother was born in Boston, Mass., in 1770 and died Feb 11, 1808.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 684.
Mr. HESS was married at the age of twenty-five to SARAH E. HAYNES, of Preble, Cortland Co., N. Y. His father, DAVID HESS, was born and reared in the town of Rensselaerville, Albany Co., being of a family of nine children that lived to an aggregate age of over seven hundred and fifty years; was married at the age of twenty-one to PRUDENCE SHAW, one of seven children of JOHN SHAW, a British deserter in the Revolutionary war, who served our country in a number of hard battles and until the time of peace. They then moved to Fenner, Madison county, and bought a farm where they owned and occupied the same until their death, both living to a ripe old age; he being largely interested and very successful in agriculture and politics for twenty-seven years, filling the most important offices of the town.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 735.
JOHN HILL died Sept. 23d, 1879, leaving not only the results of his industry and care, but what his children may prize more, his principles of honor.
ISYPHENE ANNAS HILL was the daughter of OLIVER ANNAS, who moved with his father into the town of Nelson, Madison Co., N. Y., from the state of Vermont. Her father married APHEMA ALDRICH, in Wooster Co., Mass. OLIVER ANNAS bought and cleared a farm in the town of Fenner, where ISYPHENE, their first living child was born, June 30th, 1806. Her parents were of the old Quaker stock, rigid in their principles and exemplary in their habits. She was brought up to understand all kinds of spinning, weaving and the patchwork of those primitive times. At the early age of eighteen, considering herself an adept in those arts, she consented to marry and start life with JOHN HILL, a promising young man, who knew, even at that early age, many of the hardships of life. They were married Sept. 19th, 1824 and began for themselves, with but a small portion of this world's goods. If one of the Proverbs from the "good book," may be quoted here, with slight variation. "She did him good, all the days of his life," being a true and loving help-meet to the man with whom she chose to walk life's rugged pathway, combining rare sweetness with great firmness of disposition, she was a helmet of safety, for her somewhat spirited family to rely upon. In all differences, exercising a remarkable wisdom in protecting each from the faults and weakness of the other, thereby producing a harmony of which she was ever the strongest, sweetest note. Always remembering the time when a thorough education would have been a luxury to herself and a power to her husband, with his natural abilities, could the state of the country schools in those times have furnished such a matter, when they were at the age to prize an ample course of study, they united in many a noble self-sacrifice and gave generously to their family the advantages of which they had been deprived, encouraging their improvements with loving admonitions. At the age of thirteen she united with the Methodist church and as we will be acknowledged by her church society, neighbors and friends, been a worthy christian character. "Her children rise up and call her blessed." And although left for a period of widowhood, she awaits the call of the divine Master, with peaceful resignation. Her daughters can tell theirs, of the good wrought by a brave christian woman, who taught her children all to pray, believing it the key which opens the door to all good thoughts within the mind. Heroic in patience, strong in adversity, sweet be the close of life, hoping for the words, "Well done thou good and faithful servant."
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 699.
JOSEPH BARNUM HOYT was born in the city of Utica, N. Y., Sept. 28, 1806. He is the second child and oldest son of DAVID P. and MARY HOYT, who came from Danbury, Conn., and settled in Utica in 1803. He received much of his education in the Utica Academy, and was a classmate of HORATIO SEYMOUR.
November 24, 1829, he was married to Miss MARGARET H. GARDNER, of Salem, Mass. She was born in 1809. The fruits of this union were six children, five of whom are now living, one being the wife of JOHN CRAPO, a prominent merchant of Albany, N. Y.
Mr. HOYT is well known as a writer of pamphlets and newspaper articles relating to the public good. He is a man who feels and thinks more of the advancement of the public welfare than of his own interests and has devoted much of his time and best energies in that direction. He was the first man to advocate the legal reduction of passenger fares on the N. Y. Central R. R. to two cents per mile, and after a vigorous resistance made by those in the interest of the company, the measure was finally carried through the Legislature, and has undoubtedly been of great advantage to the company as well as the traveling community. He also advocated about the same time the building of four tracks on the same line. He was one of the first to advocate the Union Pacific Railroad, and recommended that it be built by the United States Government as a national enterprise. He has been ever foremost in support of the great enterprises that have proved of permanent benefit to the people of the country, showing that he possesses in a marked degree the power of forecasting the future from the past and present signs of the times. During his residence in Utica, he was prominent as a citizen, and held several offices of trust and responsibility. Upon the death of his father he was appointed general agent by the administration of his estate, and settled up the same.
Mrs. HOYT died Feb 1, 1857. The following year he removed with his family to Cazenovia, where he has since resided.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 682.
In 1808 Mr. HUBBARD removed with his family to Sherburne, Chenango county, where he remained about five years. In June, 1813, he settled where the village of Hubbardsville is now located and engaged in distilling and subsequently in tanning and farming occupations that he followed up to the close of his business career in 1853.
Mr. HUBBARD was most thoroughly an active and successful many a respected citizen will gratefully recall his generous financial assistance in early business life.
Physically, Mr. HUBBARD was delicately framed, and was active to a remarkable degree, even up to the close of his life. At times he was gloomy and despondent, and at others he was happy and vivacious, quick at repartee, and was noted for his sharp pithy sayings. He was a man of strong convictions, frank and fearless in their expression, and energetic in carrying them out. He was a kind and indulgent husband and father, a genial friend, a generous neighbor and a useful and public spirited citizen.
He was liberal and kind to the poor; and it can be said of him that "he made the wilderness blossom as the rose," and kept pace with the foremost men of his time in agricultural improvements valuable to himself and to his neighbors as well.
In political sentiment Mr. HUBBARD was a whig, then an abolitionist of the Gerrit Smith stamp. His money and a hearty God-speed was ever ready to assist the slave from bondage, until the formation of the Republican party, with which he united, and was ardent and energetic in his support of its principles and measures. He lived to see the close of the great rebellion, and no man was more gratified than he when Abraham Lincoln read his famous emancipation proclamation announcing to forty millions of people that slavery was forever abolished in the United States.
He was liberal in his religious views, and charitable towards all, ever trying to find some excuse for the erring.
Up to this death which occurred at his residence in Hubbardsville, May 17, 1876, at the age of 92 years and 3 months, he was the oldest man living in the town.
The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Mr. MARSHALL of Madison, there being present a large attendance of the substantial residents of the community, among whom he had lived sixty-three years.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 682.
The first five generations here were represented in direct descent by the name of THOMAS HYATT.
THOMAS HYATT, 2D, settled at Norwalk, Conn. The records of that town show that he received bounty lands for having participated in the "direful swamp fight" of "King Phillip's war," which took place Dec. 29, 1675.
THOMAS HYATT, 3D, became one of the twenty-five original purchasers and settlers of Ridgefield township. The purchase was made in 1708 of "Catoonah, Sachem of Ramapoo Indians, for consideration of "One Hundred Pounds." Deacon JAMES BENEDICT was also one of said original purchasers, and married SARAH HYATT, sister of THOMAS, April 7, 1708.
THOMAS HYATT, 5TH, emigrated to Nelson, Madison county, N. Y., with his son ABIJAH, in 1830. ABIJAH HYATT was chiefly noted as a pioneer Methodist, both in his old, and new home; and always an honor to his creed. His son AARON S. HYATT, settled in Fenner, N. Y., in 1832, bringing on an emigrant wagon, his household goods and family. He was among the first to develop the dairy interest in Central New York. As early as 1842, he was proprietor of a dairy of fifty cows, and for a long time took high rank, and deep interest in the business. His children are FRANCIS AUSTIN, AARON S., JR., and ELECTA, wife of MARLIN LYON. After learning first principles as taught in the District school, Mr. HYATT was educated at "Red Creek Union Academy," and "Oneida Conference Seminary," becoming a student at the Seminary, spring term of 1844. He remembers with pride as students of that term, Gen. Joseph R. Hawley, Gov. Leland Stanford, Bishop Andrews, Judge Andrews, and many others less conspicuous, but who had acted well their part in life. After leaving school, Mr. HYATT located on a farm in Fenner. His first experience in political life was as candidate for clerk of the town, on the Anti "Know Nothing ticket." Everybody in those days were Know Nothings, and of course, he was beaten. Next year he was nominated on the same issue, and elected. Having held numerous town offices, he was in 1860, nominated by acclamation for Member of the Legislature, and elected by 822 majority, receiving more votes in his town, than Abraham Lincoln. He was again nominated for the Assembly in 1871, elected by a much larger than usual majority, and declined re-nomination.
Making no pretensions to a brilliant political career, he has always recorded his vote on the side of the taxpayers, and against all appropriations for other than the legitimate expenses of government. Mr. HYATT was married to ELIZABETH MARTHA ROBINSON, of Perryville, Oct. 22, 1850, by whom he has three sons, - FRANK H., a lawyer of Morrisville, AARON SANFORD, a physician at Wacousta, Mich., and THEODORE FREMONT. Mrs. HYATT died March 20, 1869. He was married June 26, 1878, to MARY ELIZABETH BENEDICT, of Brooklyn, formerly of Sherburne, Chenango county. She is a lineal descendant of Deacon JAMES BENEDICT, of Ridgefield, before mentioned.
Tolerably successful in business, with comfortable home surroundings, and of a disposition to do to the best of his ability whatever he undertakes, the subject of this sketch is a fair representative of the large class of workers, known as "independent farmers."
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 705.
From the rectitude of his habits of life he commanded the respect and confidence of those who knew him, identified himself with the active friends of schools and the cause of education, and on the side of human freedom whenever the subject of slavery called for consideration and action. He is at the time of this sketch one of the oldest inhabitants of Canastota, and remembered as worthy of being called a neighbor in the true sense of the term from the earliest day of his residence here.
The pastime of his latter days has been occupied in the cultivation of flowers, a garden of which beautifies the surroundings of his residence, erected by him in 1838, an engraving which may be seen on another page and which is commendable commentary upon his good taste and worthy of emulation.
In 1875 his public spirit and liberality prompted him to erect a beautiful, spacious morgue dedicating it to the public and locating it at a commanding point within and near the entrance of Mount Pleasant Cemetery of canastota as a gratuitous permanent gift.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 738.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 606.
GEORGE LAWRENCE is a son of THOMAS LAWRENCE and was born at Clockville, in the year 1829. At the age of twenty-one, he purchased a farm in the town of Fenner, Madison Co., whereon he resided seven years. He then removed to his present farm. He is now extensively engaged in the culture of hops, and also in connection with his brother, U. N. LAWRENCE, who resides on an adjoining farm, in the manufacture of malt. The brothers purchase their barley chiefly in Chicago, Ill., and their malt finds a market in New York City and Brooklyn.
Mr. LAWRENCE is one of the stable, enterprising men who do much in any community to give it character and progress.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 737.
By his untiring activity and unfailing integrity he arose step by step to positions of trust and honor. He served the State efficiently on its canals and railroads. He became an owner of property, and on the lands then obtained he laid out streets and built residences. He was the projector of village improvements that will help to keep his memory precious for many years to come.
He was twice married, and leaves the companion of his last choice to mourn the loss of one, to whom she was nurse, adviser, helpmate and friend. His benefactions were many through life, though of an unostentatious nature. He was ever a true friend of the Christian church, and in his latter years a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in this place. During a precious revival meeting here occurring during the pastorate of Rev. SELAH STOCKING, he united with the church as also his companion, who for many years had been a possessor of Christian faith. Every pastor who has known him here has reason to be thankful for the care he has given for their welfare, and the readiness with which he sustained all church enterprises. God had dealt liberally with him and he gave liberally in return. The church deeply feels his loss, friends mourn his departure, and the country at large feels his absence. His last sickness was brief but painful, his death calm, and peaceful - his dying testimonies wondrously clear and transparent. "I cannot see you" he said to his wife, "but I can see Jesus." "He is my Saviour, I can trust him." We that saw him die felt to say "Let me die the death of the righteous."
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 737.
JOHN LINCKLAEN was born in Amsterdam, Holland, Dec. 24, 1768. His early life was spent in Switzerland, where he received most of his education. At the age of fourteen he entered the Dutch navy, remaining in the service for several years, soon attaining the rank of Lieutenant under Admiral DeWINTER. It was while in this navy that the opportunities presented themselves which allowed him to visit many of the most important places of Europe and Asia. In 1792 he emigrated to the United States in the employment of the Holland Land Company. He surveyed the land purchased by that Company, and the following year he was made general agent of the same.
He soon conceived the idea of laying out a town, which he did, giving it the name of Cazenovia, in honor of his much esteemed friend, Mr. CAZENOVE, an Italian.
For some thirty years of active life, Mr. LINCKLAEN held a place second to none in the industrial and social development of his town, and has left behind him abundant proof of his ability and wisdom in causing to be laid out and erecting the first buildings in what is now known as the pleasant village of Cazenovia, in Central N. Y., Madison county.
JOHN LINCKLAEN was also prominent in the Holland Purchase in Genesee county. As no foreign company could then hold and transfer lands, or give titles for the same in this country, under existing laws, the celebrated tract known as the Morris reserve, containing over thirty hundred thousand acres was deeded to the different persons in their own names who represented the different branches of the Holland Land Company. These were HERMAN Le ROY, JOHN LINCKLAEN and GERRIT BOON.
In 1814 Mr. LINCKLAEN became deeply interested in religion, and afterwards became an earnest christian-worker. He was active in the erection of the then new "church on the green," and contributed liberally towards its building and support. The same building having undergone thorough repairs from time to time is still an ornament to the village, and a memento of the founders.
The site of Mr. LINCKLAEN's first dwelling is familiar to the early residents of the village on the bank of the beautiful Cazenovia Lake, opposite the present residence of Mr. BURR.
This house was destroyed by fire in 1806. He then selected a new site at the foot of the lake which was then known as Lake Owahgena, where he built a substantial brick house, which is still occupied by the family, and is considered one of the attractive spots in the town.
Mr. LINCKLAEN in 1797 married the eldest sister of Mr. J. D. LEDYARD. Mr. LEDYARD succeeded Mr. LINCKLAEN as agent of the Holland Land Company, also succeeding to his private estate. Soon after, he removed the office to a more central position in the village, where it still remains, and is occupied by Ledyard Brothers, sons of J. D. LEDYARD. Mr. LINCKLAEN's life is so full of activity, so replete with generosity, and honesty, and all that makes manhood truly noble and great, was stricken amidst its usefulness and vigor. A victim of paralysis, he died in his prime, Feb. 9, 1822, aged fifty-four years.
His memory will love long in the hearts of the then youth of the day.
[Note from previous pages: had adopted son, JONATHAN DENISE LEDYARD.]
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 681.
Top of Page
Madison Co, NY Page