His boyhood was spent in Lincklaen, Chenango county and Brookfield, Madison county. At the age of 11 he experienced religion. But neglecting a public profession, soon went into darkness, and lived in religious obscurity for five years. The winter after he was 17 he was quickened by the Holy Spirit and confessed Jesus openly. April, 1839, he was baptized and shortly after united with the Seventh-Day Baptist Church of Adams, Jefferson county, N. Y., where his family were then residing. March, 1840, he moved with his parents to Watson, Lewis county, N. Y., and united with the church in that place. There he was licensed to preach; and in that and adjoining towns, he continued to herald the gospel message with encouraging efficiency, leading many to Jesus, till June, 1842, when he visited his native place, where together with Oneida, Herkimer, and Otsego counties, he spend the summer in his chosen work.
September 11, 1842, he was married to Miss ESTHER LANDPHERE, daughter of ASA and SUSANNAH LANPHERE, of Plainfield, Otsego county, N. Y. June, 1843, he made arrangements to enter school in De Ruyter Institute, where he remained two years. He united with the Seventh-Day Baptist Church, in Otselic, Chenango county, N. Y., where he was ordained to the work of the gospel ministry, Jan. 14, 1844. During his two years in school he preached in Otselic, Truxton, (now Cuyler,) and elsewhere as opportunity offered compatible with school duties.
June, 1844, he settled as pastor in Lincklaen, Chenango county, N. Y., where and in Otselic he continued in pastoral work till the spring of 1847, except that he taught a term of select school during the winter of 1845 and 1846. Here, Jan., 1847, he lost his first born and only child. The spring following he settled in Preston, Chenango county, N. Y., as pastor, preaching also in Oxford and McDonough. The spring of 1849 he returned to De Ruyter to resume the study of Greek, but a severe sickness thwarted his plan, so that from early autumn he worked as missionary in Herkimer and Chenango counties.
February, 1850, he accepted the unanimous call of the 2d Seventh-Day Baptist church of Brookfield, Madison county, N Y., and entered upon the pastorate the 1st of March following. He had been preceded upon this field by one of the best and most able pastors, Rev. E. S. BAILEY, for more than 30 years. He was young and felt illy prepared to assume the responsibility of the position. Helped of God he held it eight years, and left it from a sense of duty, when his charge desired his continuance. The church more than doubled its membership, notwithstanding depletion by deaths and removals during his pastorate. In March, 1858, having accepted a call from a sense of duty some months before, he entered upon the pastorate of the 1st Seventh-Day Baptist church of Hopkinton, R. I., with a membership of between 300 and 400, and one of the oldest churches in America. This very responsible charge he held 6 years, during which, more than 100 were added to the church. During this time he attended more than 130 funerals. Again in the winter of 1863 and '64, Mr. CLARKE, contrary to the wishes of his church, but from a sense of duty, accepted a call to the pastorate of the Seventh-Day Baptist church of Albion, Dane county, Wis., of between 200 and 300 members-a large church-and having in its midst, one of the best academies west of the Lakes; a very important field. Here he remained for six years, having the confidence and kindest regards of his people. On this field he was also under God very successful in his ministry, building the church and in leading the perishing to Jesus. While upon this field he baptized about 200, and received to the fellowship of the church 175 members.
During the autumn of 1869 he received a call to the pastorate of the Seventh-Day Baptist church, of De Ruyter, N. Y. His church had grown to 385 members. He had built him a fine home and was pleasantly situated. The church at De Ruyter was small, numbering but a little over 100 members, and its condition very critical; yet he, reaching the conviction that it was his duty to do so, decided to accept the call, and entered upon the duties of his new charge Jan. 1, 1870. During the term of this pastorate, 10 years, the church under his ministry has more than doubled its membership, notwithstanding depletion by death and removals. Besides the care of his own church, he has supplied the Seventh-Day Baptist church, of Lincklaen, 4 miles south, with preaching once in two weeks, at 1:30 P.M., for eight years, and the Seventh-Day Baptist church of Otselic, ten miles away, at a later hour, once in two weeks, for two years. He has also supplied the Baptist church of New Woodstock on 1st day for about two years, the Baptist church of South Otselic one year, the Baptist church of Plymouth one year, the Baptist church of Beaver Meadow three years, and the Congregational church of Lincklaen three years, all of which are from six to twenty miles away.
He has held revival meetings with more or less success on nearly all of these fields, and besides these and the fields of his pastorates, he has labored successfully as an evangelist in Watson, Alfred, West Edmeston, Verona, Cuyler, Berlin and Cincinnatus, N. Y., Northampton, Mass., Berlin and Edgerton, Wis., and other points both east and west.
His services as a clergyman have always been in demand on the 1st day, so that he has preached almost as constantly on Sunday as on the Sabbath. Mr. CLARKE has been an earnest worker, devoting his whole time to the work of the ministry.
During the 36 years since he was ordained to the gospel ministry he has preached more than 600 funeral sermons, and an average of about four sermons a week, or 1,488 sermons; and now, at 57, Mr. CLARKE is hale and strong, as though but in his prime, having a mature experience. Having been a close student of human nature and books he has acquired a fund of knowledge and christian graces which prepares him, by the grace of God, for many more years of greater usefulness.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 606.
WAIT worked at home on the farm, attending school during the winters, until 1819, in which year, the 28th of January, he was united in marriage with MERCY MINER, of Brookfield. She was born Oct. 8, 1728, and died Oct. 30, 1826.
WAIT after his marriage continued to work at home, assisting his father in the management of the farm, until 1823, when he leased a farm near North Brookfield and worked it two years. He then went back to his father's, having bought a portion of the old homestead farm, and worked it and the balance of the farm on shares. Here he remained until March, 1935, then he removed to Clarkville, where he has resided up to the present time. Soon after his settlement in Clarkville, he entered into co-partnership with BENJAMIN GROTON and they carried on the harnass-making business in connection with the manufacture of boots and shoes eighteen years. Since 1853 he has been engaged in the real estate business, settling up estates and performing the duties of the various offices to which he has been elected. During his long residence in the town of Brookfield he has been honored by his fellow citizens to an extent most flattering to himself, and that shows he has had in the highest degree their confidence and esteem. In 1827 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and that office he has held sixteen years. He has been Assessor six years and Supervisor six years. He was appointed County Superintendent of the Poor, and that office he held six years. In 1836 he was elected to the Legislature, and took his seat in 1837.
Having something of a martial spirit in his early life, he joined a militia company in his town, and was at different times ensign, lieutenant and captain of the same many years.
In 1853 Mr. CLARKE was appointed by JOHN A. (afterwards General,) DIX, agent of the John I. Morgan estate, in Oneida, Herkimer, Madison and Chenango counties, and the duties of that office he performed until the 14th of January, 1880, to the entire satisfaction of all concerned, and is at present engaged as appraiser of the lands of said estate. Mr. CLARKE united with the Baptist church in North Brookfield, and was a member of the same twenty years before he moved to Clarkville, and after his removal to the latter place he united with the church there. In 1851 he was elected deacon of the church, and still holds the office.
In politics,, Mr. C., is a Democrat, and his first vote was cast for candidates of that party.
By his first wife, Mr. CLARKE had seven children, three of whom died in infancy. Those who reached maturity were as follows: ELBERT W., born Feb. 23, 1821, married LOUISA STEELE, of Sardinia, Erie county, N. Y., Sept. 5, 1841. He was a minister in the Baptist church. He died June 21, 1856. HARRIET, born Jan. 20, 1823 married NELSON HOXIE, of Brookfield; MARYETTE, born Sept. 8, 1827, married ADIN BROWN, of Brookfield. She died Dec. 27, 1847. ELIZA S., born Oct. 27, 1829, married ADIN BROWN, Sept. 8, 1848.
In 1847, August 19, Mr. CLARKE married BERSHEBA D. BECKWITH, widow of SAMUEL BECKWITH, of the town of Exeter, Otsego county, N. Y. She was born Aug. 7, 1811, in Newshoreham, R. I. Her parents were JOSIAH and ANNE (DODGE) MOTT. They were also natives of Newshoreham. The former was born April 30, 1786, and died July 5, 1825. The mother was born Dec. 17, 1784, and died March 24,1879, aged 93 years. Mrs. CLARKE is a member of the Baptist church in Clarkville, and has been 32 years.
By his last wife, Mr. CLARKE has no children.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 528.
DAVID and ORRA COE were the father and mother of the subject of this sketch, ALBERT E. COE, who was born in Smithfield, April 22, 1808, the eldest of nine brothers and sisters, viz: SANFORD M., CAROLINE M., ELIASHIB E, ELI A., MARY C., GEORGE W., JOHN W., and J. HENRIETTA. The second and ninth named above are dead, six live in Madison county and one in Onondaga county.
At seven years of age ALBERT began going to the country school held in Captain RAYMOND's house, following marked trees through the woods in company with a neighboring boy of about his own age. This continued, and in log houses and shanties, until the school-house was built in Siloam, (then Ellinwood's Hollow.) Here he continued going to school, chiefly during the winter, as the farm work kept him at home during the summers. At the age of six years he witnessed the execution of MARY ANTOINE, in Peterboro, and nine years later, that of her father, ABRAM ANTOINE in Morrisville. Both executions were public. Thousands of people were present.
ALBERT lived at home until he was 21 years old, when he married MARY, daughter of AMOS BRIDGE, of that town, in her nineteenth year. They were married Jan. 1st, 1829. ALBERT then bought the farm next west of his birth place, moved upon, cleared and improved it, until it was known as one of the best farms in Smithfield. Just as life seemed to be opening brightly for them, death took Mrs. COE from her husband's side, May 15, 1844, leaving him with five children to mourn her loss. He remained on the farm with the children, and in May, 1845, married CHARLOTTE T. READ, daughter of JOHN A. READ, of New Hartford, Oneida county, formerly of Massachusetts. Mr. COE still continued to improve his farm until 1852, when he rented it and removed to Oneida, occupying a house he had built the year previous. Here he has since lived, engaged chiefly in buying and selling real estate. In 1853, he erected a brick block for renting purposes, which was at that time the most prominent building in the place.
In September, 1874, his wife CHARLOTTE died, leaving five children and husband in affliction. Four of the twelve children rest with their mothers in Glenwood Cemetery, viz: SARAH C., an infant, FRANKIE L., and RALPH W. These are now living ORRA E., BENEDICT, A. WELLS, LEDYARD W., now in Milwaukee, DAVID R., EDDIE W., MARY C., WILLIE S., and HATTIE S., one in Oneida and Utica. ALBERT E. COE, with the help of two of his sons, has been for the last ten years, and is now in the mercantile business in Oneida, Madison county, in the block built by himself.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 736.
ISAAC COE was not as highly favored as many others with school privileges, but he was endowed with a quick and active mind, wise in his conclusions and able to give a reason for his views, which caused many to seek his advice and counsel. In early life he applied himself to farming, also engaging in the boot and shoe trade. In 1806 he sought a home in the west. Packing his goods, he, with his family, consisting of wife and four children, moved to what at that time was considered quite a western section, Madison county. He was very active in the building up, and development of the county. He soon gathered around him a large circle of friends holding their good will and respect until his death, which occurred June 23d, 1841. His wife, POLLY COE, died Nov. 27th, 1858. Mr. COE, during the war of 1812, manifested his patriotism by engaging in it, showing himself a faithful soldier. He was a successful business man, leaving at his death a fine property. Three of his daughters occupy the old homestead and retain one hundred and sixty acres of fine farm land.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 621.
Mr. COLE early gave his attention to farming, and resolved not to spend his life in the mere drudgery of farm work, but applied with energy his brains as well as his hands, knowing no other thought than success, and success has crowned his efforts. In 1860 he purchased his present farm; from year to year applying himself with true purpose until he has acquired the reputation of being one of the most thorough and systematic farmers, not only in this county, but in the State. To be convinced of this, one has but to visit his farm, barns and stables where they will see perfect order and cleanliness.
Too much cannot be said concerning his fine blooded stock, their condition, general appearance and arrangements for their keeping. He has given particular attention to the raising of cattle known as Holderness, and possesses one of the finest herds of that breed in the country. At all fairs where they have been exhibited they have elicited commending attention. They are noted especially for their value in butter producing qualities, so it is not strange that Mr. COLE can always obtain the highest gilt-edged price for his butter. We would recommend personal inspection on the part of all who feel interested in fine cattle.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 621.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 610.
JAMES COOLIDG, when a youth, assisted his father in all the arduous duties of the farm, and as was too often the case in those early pioneer days, his advantages for securing an education were extremely limited, not being able to attend school more than five or six weeks during the winter.
After his marriage he fitted himself for a surveyor giving proof of severe application and praiseworthy ambition. In after years he devoted much time to the work of Surveyor. Mr. COOLIDG, in early life, worked at the carpenter's trade, and has always been quite ingenious in the use of carpenters' tools. One of his most praiseworthy efforts in that direction was the cutting out of wood a complete map of the town of Madison, with all the hills, streams, valleys, lakes, ponds, &c., with mathematical precision and accuracy. He has served his town in many ways, and incurred the respect of all. He was a magistrate twenty-four years. He engaged in farming until about 1860, when he sold his farm and engaged in lighter occupation, and now, at the age of 94 years is full of vigor and activity. His first wife, JANET KENDALL, was born in 1792, married 1814, died 1816. Second wife, SOPHIA STEBBINS, born 1798, married 1819, and died Jan. 26, 1832. Third wife, SALLIE SIMMONS, born 1801, married 1833, and died Sept. 24, 1834. Fourth wife, HARRIETT HAZZARD, born 1802, married 1834, and died 1838. Fifth wife, PHOEBE THOMPKINS LAWRENCE, born 1798, married 1842, and died Jan. 6, 1849. Sixth wife, MARY COBURN SMITH, born 1803, married 1851, and died May 11, 1877. He has four children, three dying in infancy and has one son now living, FRANCIS COOLIDG, born Dec. 1813, and now residing in Kansas. He still manifests much vigor and energy, quick in memory, warm hearted and interesting in conversation. Mr. COOLIDG throughout his life has been an industrious, hard-working man, and now, near the close of his earthly career, can look back upon the record of a well-spent life, having not a tarnish upon his honor and integrity.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 613.
His parents were farmers, hence HENRY D., was reared to know full well the value of time and money. He continued to live with his parents until he was nearly twenty-two years of age having very limited advantages for an education. In 1822 he went to Chautauqua Co. and purchased a farm of 200 acres which he left in care of his brother DANIEL S., and returned to his native place.
He remained here nearly a year and then returned to Chautauqua Co. and sold his farm. September 9, 1824, he was married to PRUDENCE CLOOK of Brookfield by whom he had five children, only one of whom is now living., Mrs. CRANDALL was born in 1796, and died Nov. 25, 1833. In 1825 he purchased fifty-one and a quarter acres of land lying east of West Edmeston, Otsego Co., on the side-hill, paying for the same seven dollars an acre, one-seventh down. On this farm he commenced housekeeping. July 17, 1834, he was married to PHOEBE DYE of Brookfield. In 1835 he purchased a farm of 150 acres in Edmeston, Otsego Co., where JAMES SAWYER now lives and kept adding thereto until he owned 468 acres of good tillable land. In 1855 he removed to Brookfield, Madison Co., on to a farm of 155 acres which he purchased a year before. Here he was enjoying life with his estimable wife when just as night had thrown her sable curtain over the day of December 7th, 1865, this happy family was doomed to pass through a scene of blood and death the like, but few are called upon to experience. On the evening mentioned Mr. CRANDALL came in from his work when all at once there appeared two men in his house demanding his money and bonds; upon refusing to comply with their demands Mr. C. was violently assaulted by the ruffians and was so far successful in defending himself unaided by any weapon, as to get one of them down on the floor where he kept him some minutes, but the other desperado drew a revolver and would have shot Mr. C. had he not seized a stick of wood and knocked him down, but the ruffian fired and the ball made a slight flesh wound just over the right eye and on top of the head. Mr. C. then went into his bed room on the pretense of getting his money and bonds, but in fact to get a weapon, a stick some three feet long which he remembered as standing at the head of his bed. When he was about to return to renew the battle, he saw a hand with a pistol in it through the partly opened door. The pistol was fired but owing to the darkness the shot did not take effect. As the second man's hand appeared, Mr. C. struck it a fearful blow with his club, and rushed out upon his assailants and would have been more than a match for them had not some unknown third party come up behind and knocked him down. He was then shot just below the right eye, the ball passing downward and lodging in the roof of his mouth where it remains to this day. He was also shot in the back part of the head causing flesh wounds. The last Mr. C. remembers of that sad affair his wife was alive and uninjured., but when he awoke to consciousness he learned that his wife had been shot through the head, the ball entering just above the right ear and coming out above the left ear, and that she had been buried about two weeks. The villains left Mr. CRANDALL for dead, but went away without any money or bonds except a few dollars Mrs. C. had in her possession. There was a large amount of bonds, some $2,500,000 and about $700,000, in bank notes, that the robbers came for but they failed to find the treasure as it was hid in a straw bed. The perpetrators of this horrible crime have never been brought to Justice. There was an arrest made and trial of a man named BELLFIELD in 1879, but he was acquitted.
Mr. CRANDALL married his present wife MARIAN E. MANNING, March 4th, 1867. By her he has five children, viz: HENRY D., MARIAN E., and LOUISA J., (twins,) BYRON M., and CARRIE P. Mr. C. settled in Leonardsville in 1867 and resided there until 1874, when he purchased his fine home in West Edmeston, Otsego Co.
In politics Mr. C. is a Republican. He is a member of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church at West Edmeston as is his wife. Mr. C. has been a successful farmer and has accumulated a fine property. He began life poor and has to attribute his success to a perseverance and energy characteristic of self-made men.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 542.
Mr. CRUMB is public spirited and his influence and efforts have contributed much towards the improvements which have from time to time been projected for the benefit of the place. As a man and a citizen his record is good and his life gives evidence of what industry, integrity and energy can accomplish in individual success and social attainments.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 605.
JOHN, the first child of JOHN and BETSY (WRIGHT) FISK, was born Aug. 16th, 1796, in Otsego Co. He worked on the farm at home for his parents until he was married, in 1816. He then went to farming for himself. The farm he purchased was covered by a dense forest and several years were spent in clearing it up. He worked for others several years, clearing land by the acre. He carried on farming all his life and acquired a large property. He was an extensive bee keeper, having as many as 150 colonies at times and realizing, several seasons, as high as one thousand dollars from his honey and bees, and keeping his stock unimpaired. He carried on the dairying business very largely, having at times as many as one hundred cows. For several years, he was one of the most extensive butter and cheese makers in Madison Co.
Mr. FISK was one of old Madison's solid men; he was successful because he was faithful and enterprising and endowed with an energy and will that removed all obstacles to success. His advantages for an education were poor, a few terms at the district school, being all he that he ever enjoyed. As a mental mathematician he was a wonder, being able to work in his mind the most difficult problems in interest and such others as he encountered in his business affairs.
He was never an office seeker and took no interest in politics. He was a Democrat. In religious sentiment, he was a Universalist but never a member of any church. He contributed liberally of his means in support of the Society in his town. He was kind to the poor and needy and ever ready to lend a helping hand, when he believed the object was a worthy one; of that he had to be satisfied. He was a kind husband and indulgent father and his children were taught the value of industry and economy. When his parents became old and needed care and support, and that tender regard that every parent has right to expect from their children, his duty was faithfully and affectionately performed. He supported them and carefully looked after all their wants. For all the noble qualities that characterize the truly useful citizen, good friend and kind neighbor, Mr. FISK was beloved, and when death claimed him, the town of Lebanon was called on to mourn the loss of one of its best citizens. He died March 21st, 1866.
Oct. 16th, 1816, JOHN FISK married MILLEY, daughter of GAYLORD and MILLEY (LOVELAND) STEVENS, of Lebanon, natives of Conn. (They had seventeen children.) She was born Jan. 5th, 1795 and died Nov. 16th, 1864. JOHN and MILLEY FISK had eight children as follows: ALBERT, born Aug. 28th, 1847, died in Wisconsin in 1850, PHEBE, born Nov. 28th, 1819, married ALONZO SABINS. Sept. 15th, 1837, OLIVE, born June 26th, 1821, married NELSON SLOCUM, HARRIET, born Feb. 12th, 1824, married ELISHA STEADMAN, ANN, born June 25th, 1826, married OSCAR STEWART, EPHRAIM, born Feb. 10th, 1827, married NANCY R. CAMPBELL of Lebanon, Sept. 11th, 1851. She died May 17th, 1875. He then married Miss RETTIE BARBER, of Otselic, Chenango Co., Nov. 15th, 1876, LUMAN, born July 16th, 1829, married ANGELINE CLOSE, of Smyrna, Chenango Co., and JOHN, born Dec. 6th, 1840, married NETTIE MORROW, of Augusta, Oneida Co.
EPHRAIM lived at home, working on the farm until he was married, and then until his father died, aiding him in the management of his extensive business. He is one of the most extensive farmers in the county, and carries on a large business. In politics he is a Democrat, but in town matters, votes for the best man. Has been Assessor, Supervisor for four years and at present is Justice of the Peace. LUMAN is a prominent man in the town and has been a farmer, now out of business and residing at Lebanon village. JOHN is residing on the old homestead and operates the farm of about 300 acres. He has held several offices of trust and responsibility and at the present is Excise Commissioner. He is a member of the Congregational church at Lebanon.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 577.
In 1861 he was married to Miss JANE ARNOLD, also a native of De Ruyter, and educated at the same school. She was the daughter of EPHRAIM and JUDITH MITCHELL ARNOLD, who immigrated from Hartford, Conn., about 1815. They had eight children, five of whom are now living.
Mr. GAGE early gave his attention to farming and stock raising, in which he has been very successful. After his marriage he took the entire management of the farm, his father retiring from active business and settling in De Ruyter village. He has two hundred acres of as fine land as can be found in the town. His buildings show careful attention and the grounds surrounding them are laid out with much taste. It may be classed among the most attractive homes in the State. Mr. and Mrs. GAGE have but one child, a daughter, Miss CARRIE GAGE, born in 1862.
Mr. GAGE now devotes himself principally to the breeding of fine wool Merino sheep, for which he has a reputation well known through the county.
Mr. AZRA GAGE was born in the town of South East, Duchess county, N. Y., June 5, 1790, and came with his father, JUSTIN GAGE, to Madison county in 1800; consequently was one of the early settlers. He died Jan. 16, 1866. In 1816 he was married to Miss POLLY HERRICK, a native of Springfield, Otsego county, born September, 1797. They had three children: MARY M., born July, 1817, who married Dr. JAMES WHITFORD, of Otsego county, now of Onondaga Valley; EDWARD J., born May 8, 1822; and CAROLINE L., born November, 1827, who married JOHN D. PATTERSON, then of San Francisco, a native of Madison county, and now living at Geneva, N. Y. He is still proprietor of an extensive ranch of several hundred acres in California. Mrs. GAGE, (the mother,) resides with Mrs. PATTERSON at Geneva.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 605.
Mr. & Mrs. PAUL GREENWOOD had ten children, viz: JONAS, born February 18th, 1797, believed to be now dead; LUCY, born February 10th, 1799, married CALVIN SHAPLEY, and died September 11th, 1830; ELI F., born January 16th, 1801, and was crushed to death in a mill in 1848; SALLY, born April 15th, 1802; MARION, born July 1st, 1804; ERASTUS, born July 5th, 1807, killed by a limb of a tree falling on him, May 24th, 1819; IRA, born July 4th, 1810; LEVI P., as above; CORNELIA, born April 5th, 1814, married JOHN POWELL, died August 23d, 1865; and ROXANA, born August 12th, 1822, married LODERIC PLYMPTON, of Wayne county.
LEVI lived at home until he was about eighteen years old, working on the farm, and attending district school winters. He also attended the academy at Hamilton about a year. He taught school winters and worked summers at farming from the time he left home until he was twenty-one. He then commenced reading medicine at Hamilton in the office of Dr. PETER B. HAVEN, Sr., and continued in his office and attending lectures at Fairfield, Herkimer Co., till 1840, graduating there at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Western District of New York in February of that year. On the first day of May, 1840, he came to Erieville, where he is still practicing medicine. His worldly possessions on his arrival here consisted of a passably decent suit of clothes and two dollars in money. He formed a co-partnership with Dr. JOHN HEFFRON, and they practiced medicine together eleven years. He then severed his connection with Dr. HEFFRON and began for himself, and continued alone till April 1st, 1863. He then gave Dr. WESLEY M. CARPENTER, a former student of his, a share in his business, and the partnership existed until the 1st of November, 1868, when Dr. CARPENTER was elected to the Legislature. After the close of his term, Dr. CARPENTER came back and they practiced together another year, when he removed to New York city, where he now resides.
Dr. GREENWOOD continued alone in his practice until June, 1873, when he associated Dr. CHARLES H. RANSOM, a graduate of University Medical College of New York city, with him in his business, and the partnership is still continued.
Dr. GREENWOOD has practiced medicine forty years with a success rarely met with. His ride has been as extensive and constant as that of any physician that has ever practiced in Madison county. He has been devoted to his profession, and has found the duties of it pleasant and agreeable rather than irksome. He has been kind and lenient to the poor, never refusing to respond to the calls of those whom he knew could not pay for his services. It has been his rule to make his charges in cases of the poor and unfortunate so low that they were able to give him something in settlement. He has, thereby, not only secured the love and respect of his patrons both rich and poor, but he has lost few outstanding accounts.
Dr. GREENWOOD is popular, and his friends and acquaintances are legion. In politics he is a democrat, staunch and fearless in his advocacy of the principles and measures of his party. He has been Supervisor of his town, and has been Railroad Bond Commissioner several years. Possessed of an ample fortune of which he himself is the architect, dwelling in a pleasant home, unblemished in reputation, ever ready with judicious counsel and helpful hand, never an aspirant for any political office, commanding the respect of the public and the affection of his friends, - yet he has not grown idle. With leisure awaiting his enjoyment, time and fortune at instant command, he has never laid off the harness of busy life; and he is wise, for no rust is so corrosive as the rust that comes from premature rest after a life packed full with interests and energies. His leading characteristics are great activity, strict integrity, and a desire to be useful. He is of the better class of self-made men. Such men are pillars of society and salt against the world's corruption. Long may he live, mingling ever with men in the busy walks of life, always a warm side for his friends, and a cheerful word for everybody, - an admirable illustration of the splendid possibilities a pioneer farmer's boy with hands, heart and head, that he knows how to use, may achieve in America.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 648.
Top of Page
Madison Co, NY Page