GEORGETOWN was formed from DeRuyter, April 7, 1815. Its name is due to a suggestion of the Legislature in exchange for Washington, which was the choice of the inhabitants, but a name by which a town in Duchess county was then distinguished. It lies upon the south border of the county, west of the center, and is bounded on the north by Nelson, south by Otselic, east by Lebanon and west by DeRuyter. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the valley of Otselic creek into two north and south ridges, whose summits are 500 to 600 feet above the valley. Otselic creek, flowing in a southerly direction through the eastern part of the town, and is numerous branches spreading out into all parts of the town, are the principal streams. A portion of the headwaters of the Tioughnioga lie in the north-west part of the town. The soil upon the hills is a yellow loam and in the valleys a gravelly alluvium.
The Syracuse and Chenango Valley Railroad crosses the north-east portion and the Auburn Branch of the Midland Railroad (now abandoned,) the south-west portion of the town.
The population of the town in 1875 was 1,422; of whom 1,357 were native, 65 foreign, 1,417 white, 5 colored, 713 males, and 709 females. Its area was 23,689 acres; of which 14,385 acres were improved, 6,839 woodland, 2,465 otherwise unimproved. The cash value of farms was $690,560; of farm buildings other than dwellings, $82,660; of stock $116,325; of tools and implements $31,915. The amount of gross sales from farms in 1874 was $109,439, being, next to DeRuyter, the least of any town in the county.
There are eleven common school districts in the town. During the year ending Sept. 30, 1879, there were twelve licensed teachers at one time during twenty-eight weeks or more. The number of children of school age residing in the districts at that date was 431. There was one private school with twenty-two pupils in attendance. During that year there were seven males and eighteen female teachers employed; the number of children residing in the district who attended school was 351, not residing in the district, 15, of whom only one was under five or over twenty-one years of age; the average daily attendance during the year was 184.075; the number of volumes in district libraries was 201, the value of which was $99; the number of school houses was eleven, all frame, with their sites, embracing two acres and sixty-three rods, valued at $440, were valued at $5,390; the assessed value of taxable property in the district was $434,460. The number of children between eight and fourteen years of age residing in the district at that date was 99, of whom 60 attended district school fourteen weeks of that year.
Receipts and disbursements for school purposes:---
|Amount on hand Oct. 1, 1878||$ 78.90|
|" apportioned to district||1,240.23|
|Proceeds of gospel and school lands||54.69|
|Raised by tax||416.78|
|From teachers' board||122.00|
|" other sources||19.63|
|Paid for teachers' wages||$1,670.92|
|" school apparatus||6.00|
| " " houses, sites, outhouses, re-|
pairs, furnitures, fences, &c.
|" incidental expenses||70.80|
|Amount remaining on hand Sept. 30, 1879.||102.00|
SETTLEMENTS.---The first settlement was made in 1804, by Ezra Sexton, from Litchfield, Conn., who came in the summer of that year and located near the Otselic, on lot 58, a little south of the depot on the Syracuse & Chenango Valley Railroad, where Barnett Wagoner now lives, and resided there till his death. He was a man of some local distinction, having been a justice of the peace and captain of a militia company. His children removed from the town a great many years ago. The cemetery near the railroad in the east part of the town is a portion of his land. It was appropriated by him to burial purposes on the death of a child of his, which is said to have been the first death in the town.1
Settlements were made this same year (1804) by John C. Payne, Elijah Olmstead, Apollos Drake, Joseph Bishop, Bethel Hurd, Eleazer Hunt and Olmstead Brown, and in this or the following year by Josiah Purdy.
John C. Payne married a daughter of Benjamin Pierce, of Hamilton, whence he removed to this town. He located on lot 115, about one and one-fourth miles south of Georgetown village, where Loren W. Brown now lives. He sold out to Elijah Brown soon after the close of the war of 1812 and returned to Hamilton, where he died. His wife kept the first boarding house for the University students ausband went to Rockford, Ill., to live with her oldest daughter, Electa, who married Elder Jacob tist revivalist preacheijah Olmstead was a son of Elder Olmstead of Schodack, Rensselaer county; but he dire. Owing to sickness in his family he sold to Josiah Purdy, a blacksmith from Sherburne, who located about a mile south of the village, on the farm now occupied by William F. Drake, and died there. He was twice mardying on the homestead. His first wife was Phebe Conkling, who died March 30, 1839, aged 75, and by whom he had seven child dead. After her death he married the widow Brown, by whom he had no children.
Apollos Drake was a native of Vermont and removed to Hamilton about the same time as the Paynes, with whom he was distantly connected, locating on the site of theversity, between Deacons Payne and Olmstead. After three years he removed to Westford, Otsego county, whence, in the fall of 1804, he removed to Georgetown. He took up fifty acres, which are now owned and occupied by his son Theron O. Drake, and that fall made a small clearing and built a log house, which stood just in the edge of the orchard on that place on the opposite side of the road from where Theron now lives. There were then only three log houses in the town, those of John C. Payne, Ezra Sexton and Elijah Olmstead. Mr. Drake and his wife died on the farm on which they settled, the former Sept. 20, 1839, aged 70, and the latter, Dec. 11, 1832, aged 57. Four children were born after their settlement here. Of the nine children only three are living, Theron O., who succeeded his father on the homestead, and Laura, who married William Brown, and Sophia, widow of Russell Niles, both of whom are living in Cazenovia. The others, with the exception of Nancy, who died in infancy, married and settled in this and adjacent towns, though the eldest four afterwards removed to Ohio.
Joseph Bishop and Eleazer Hunt, the latter from Stafford, Conn., located on the site of the village, and
Elijah Brown was born in the town of Colchester, New London Co., Conn., August 21, 1789. His parents were Samuel and Lydia (Birge) Brown, also natives of Connecticut. Elijah was the second of a family of five children, whose names were as follows: Elisha, Elijah, Alfred, Erastus and Lydia, all these are now dead. Elijah spent his early years at home and was employed on the farm, and attended the district school winters. In 1809 the 30th of November he married Margaret Williams of Colchester. She was born the 16th of October 1784, and was a daughter of Elijah and Editha (Day) Williams.
Elijah came to Georgetown in 1813, settled on lot 115, and lived there until he died. He bought 75 acres and added to that from time to time about 225 acres. He was a successful farmer and a man of excellent business qualifications. He was called to fill several offices of trust by his townsmen among which were those of assessor and supervisor, which he held many years. He was originally a whig and on the formation of the Republican party he united with that and voted for the party's first candidate for the Presidency. In religious sentiment he was a Congregationalist and was a member of that church in Georgetown. His wife was a member of the same church. Elijah died the 9th of September, 1859, and his wife, January 4, 1851.
They had a family of seven children whose names and dates of birth are here given: Lydia B., born March 29, 1812, married Alanson Niles, in 1826, and died March 11, 1844; Lavinia, born Dec. 27, 1813, married Rev. Lorenzo E. Swan, Hay 1, 1838; Harriet, born Jan. 6, 1816, married Lyman F. Bonney, July 26, 1841; a son, died in infancy; Elijah W., born July 8, 1822, married Ruth F. Robey, Feb. 17, 1846; Loren W., born ]an. 12, 1825, married Elcena D. Prentiss, Dec. 18, 1850, and Julia Ann, born June 18, 1827, died Oct. 5, 1852.
Elijah W. Brown has been honored by his fellow citizens of Georgetown. They have elected him to the best offices in their gift and the duties of the same have been performed in a manner that convinced them that their confidence was not misplaced, and that reflected the highest credit upon himself.
Loren W., resides on the old homestead. He is one of Georgetown's most valued citizens. He has been successful as a farmer, and is respected and admired by all whose good fortune it is to have his acquaintance, for his many excellent qualities of mind and heart.
The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Georgetown, Madison county, N. Y., Dec. 19, 1820. He is a son of Alfred and Mary (Adams) Brown, natives of Colchester, New London county, Conn. His father was born April 20, 1788, and died May 3, 1863. The mother was born in 1790, and died March 20, 1869. They came to Georgetown in 1815, and settled on lot 115, where our subject now resides, and lived there until they died. The late Alfred Brown was a prominent man during his residence in Georgetown. He was elected to several offices in the gift of his townsmen and performed the duties of the same credibly to himself and satisfactorily to the people.
Alfred A. was the third of a family of seven children. He remained at home and worked on the farm, attending the district school and the Academy at Eaton winters, until he was twenty years of age. After that he taught school winters until he was twenty-eight, working on the farm at home during the summer months.
In 1847 the 11th of September, he was united in marriage with Sarah E., daughter of john C., and Eliza (Barnett) Wagner, of Georgetown. She was born the 7th of April 1828. Her parents were natives, the father of Washington county, born Feb. 20, 1796, and the mother of Vermont, born Jan. 31, 1803. The former died Jan. 14, 1878, and the latter Oct. 19, 1868. They had five children, viz: John B., born April, 29, 1826; Sarah E., as above; Levi P., born March 12, 1830, died Oct. 14, 1873; Charles C., born Aug. 19, 1831, and Hannah W., born Jan. 26, 1835.
Mr. Brown inherited, and has exhibited through life, the New England traits of character---readiness to labor and to learn, strength of will, forecast, and sympathy with those movements which have for their end the well-being of the country, and for their means the advancing condition of all classes and races.
He is one of Georgetown's most valuable citizens. In all business relations he is honorable and upright, ever the same in private business or official life.
He has served his town and county in the performance of the duties of its principle offices, and enjoys the high regard and esteem of his fellow townsmen.
In 1852 he was elected justice of the Peace, and held that office twenty years. In 1862 he was elected Supervisor, and again in the years 1863, '64, '65 and in i878. In 1864 he was the Republican nominee in his district for Member of Assembly, and was elected by a majority of about 1,500, beating Lucius P. Clark, one of the most popular men in Madison county. In 1867, he was appointed by Gov. Fenton to the office of Loan Commissioner, and held the office until 1870.
Mr. Brown is a member of no religious denomination, but is independent in his views. He takes an active and interested part in the Sunday-school work of his town, and has charge of the classes there, and has been an active worker in that interest throughout the county.
To Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born seven children. Names and dates of birth are here given: Nellie X., born March 23, 1851, married Thomas H. Munro, of Camillus, Onondaga county; Newell H., born Aug. 15, 1853; Charles D., born Jan. 3, 1856; Cora E., born Oct. 25, 1857; John A., born June 27, 1861 ; Albert A., born June 20, i864, and Lizzie M., born April 9, 1867.
Bethel Hurd settled on lot 69, about a mile and a half north of the village, where Benjamin Fletcher now lives, and died there May 19, 1817, aged 68, and Mary, his wife, Nov. 17, 1813, aged 58. He had five sons who married and settled on the same road between him and the village, and occupied their farms many years. Ezra and Benjamin died here, the latter June 7, 1866, aged 79. Daniel removed to Erie county. David and Stephen removed and died west, the former August 28, 1874, aged 84, and the latter Sept. 15, 1867, aged 72. In Mr. Hurd's house was kept the first store in the town, by a man named Truesdale; there also the first religious exercises were conducted by Ezra Sexton.
Olmstead Brown settled on fifty acres purchased of John C. Payne, on lot 115.
Mitchell Atwood, Matthew Hollenbeck, Bailey Carter, William Payne, Joseph P. Harrison and Calvin Cross joined the settlements in 1805.
Mitchell Atwood came from Litchfield county, Conn., and settled two and a half miles north of the village, on the farm now owned and occupied by Mitchell Sanford, where he resided till his death, March 21, 1874, aged 97. He built in that locality in 1805 a saw-mill,2 which he replaced with a new one about 1820, and which he operated till it rotted down. The third mill on that site was built in 1847 by Hiram N. Atwood, son of Mitchell Atwood.
Matthew Hollenbeck was also from Litchfield, Conn. He settled in the north part of the town, on the farm now owned by Austin Hawks, and died there. Bailey Carter settled on a farm adjoining John C. Payne's farm, but removed from the town at an early day. His farm forms a part of Loren W. Brown's farm. William Payne, also from Connecticut, settled in the north part of the town on lot 45, where John Morris now lives, and died there June 8, 1854, aged 79, and Hannah, his wife, Dec. 18, 1849, aged 68. His sons, Bradford and Weston H., settled and died in the town. Most of the other sons removed from the town. Hannah, wife of Daniel Harrison, of Georgetown, is a daughter of his, and the only one of his children living in the county. Weston H. Payne, born in 1805, was the first child born in the town. He died Oct. 6, 1843, aged 38. Joseph P. Harrison settled in the north part of the town, on the farm now owned by his son Daniel Harrison, and occupied by the latter's son-in-law, L. E. Beach. He died there Dec. 13, 1814, aged 35, and Elanor, his wife, March 3, 1826, aged 47. Daniel is the only one of his children left in the town. Calvin Cross was a native of Bennington, Vt., and removed thence to Hamilton in 1795, and from thence to Georgetown in 1805. He settled in the north-west part of the town, where Delevan Way now lives.
Captain Samuel White came in about 1805 and settled in the north-west part of the town, where his grandson, Zelotes A. White, now lives, and where he and his wife died.
Those who settled in the north part of the town came generally from the same locality and about the same time. They mostly took up small farms, most of which afterwards passed into other hands, one individual often acquiring two or more of them.
Other early settlers, but of a somewhat later period, were Elijah Brown, Ebenezer Hall, Jesse Jerrold, Zadock Hawks, John Gibson, Charles Belden, David Parker, Philetus Stewart, Doctor Smith, Benjamin Bonney, Reuben Buckingham and James McElwain.
Elijah Brown was a son of the Elijah Brown who bought the improvements of John C. Payne, and came here about the time that purchase was consummated. His father never settled here. Elijah was joined a few years later by his brother Alfred and both they and their wives died on that farm. Elijah died Sept. 16, 1859, aged 74, and Margaret Williams, his wife, Jan. 4, 1851, aged 66. Alfred died May 3, 1863, aged 75, and Mary Adams, his wife, March 20, 1869, aged 79. Both were married when they came here. Elijah had seven children, all of whom were born here, and four of whom are living, Lavinia, widow of L. E. Swan, a Baptist minister in Cazenovia, and Harriet, widow of Lyman F. Bonney, Elijah Warren and Loren W., in Georgetown, the latter, the youngest son, on the homestead. Elijah Warren has been Supervisor of this town for many years. Alfred taught school nine winters in succession in District No. 6, when he first came in. He likewise had seven children, of whom four are living, Alfred Augustus, on the homestead, and Louisa, wife of Barnett Wagoner, in Georgetown, Eliza, wife of David M. Darrow, of West Eaton, and Laura, wife of Elder E. D. Reed, pastor of the Baptist Church in Erieville. Alfred Augustus was for several years Supervisor of this town, and a Member of Assembly in 1865.
Ebenezer Hall came from the New England States and settled a little north of the depot, where Charles Wagoner now lives. He removed to the village when well advanced in years and kept for several years the present hotel, which he built. He died in the town Jan. 4, 1860, aged 87.
Zadock Hawks, who was born Sept. 15, 1770, came from Hawley, Mass., in 1815, and settled two miles north of the village, on the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson, Austin Hawks, where he resided till his death, Jan. 30, 1863. He married in Massachusetts Rhoda Parker, who also died on the homestead Jan. 9, 1824, aged 49. He was a tanner and shoemaker by trade, but did not follow the former business here, though he did the shoemaking. They had eight children, who mostly married and settled adjacent to the homestead, though Israel C. is the only one left here. Horace succeeded his father on the homestead and died there Dec. 6, 1876, aged 81. He was a Member of Assembly in 1846.
David Parker and Asa West came in company from Massachusetts about 1808, and took up a lot in the north part of the town. Parker afterwards removed to the village and kept tavern. He died while thus engaged, March 21, 1824, aged 77. Sarah, his wife, died June 5, 1823, aged 74. Philetus Stewart settled in the north part of the town, where his son, Sanford, now lives, and died there Aug. 16, 1872, aged 87, also his wife, Susannah, Jan. 14, 1868, aged 82. Doctor Smith settled on the east line of the town, on the farm now owned by Luman Fisk and occupied by his son, PerLee Fisk. He was a carpenter and joiner and mason, and found employment at his trade in addition to his occupation as a farmer. Benjamin Bonney, from Connecticut, also settled on the east line, opposite the Doctor Smith farm, where his grandson, Loren, now lives. He died Jan. 19, 1868, aged 86, also his wife, Rhoda, March 23, 1854, aged 63.
Reuben Buckingham, son of Gideon and Jemima (Pelton) Buckingham, was born in Connecticut, Aug. 29, 1745, and removed from Seabrook, in that State, to Georgetown, in 1806. He settled on the south line, on 160 acres, which are now occupied by George Amsbry, Orlando Dutton, the widow of Charles DeClercq and Richard Bliss, and died there Feb. 4, 1828.
A romantic interest attaches to the locality in this town know as Muller Hill, from the brief residence there of the distinguished French refugee, the Duke of Barry,3 commonly known to this locality by his assumed name of Louis Anathe Muller. In 1808, having purchased in New York a large tract of wild land in the western part of Georgetown, he removed with his wife and a few Frenchmen from New York to Hamilton, where he took up abode while the quaint mansion on Muller Hill, which has awakened so much interest and speculation as to the true character of its builder, was in process of erection. The seclusion afforded by the isolated and inaccessible situation selected for his future abode was evidently the deep-seated purpose of his residence here, and gave color to the prevalent supposition that he sought safety in retirement from the royal wrath of Napoleon Bonaparte, of whose hatred he made no secret. That he was a man of great wealth and culture and accustomed to the usages of refined society was evident, and that he had ranked high in the military of his native France---so high as to make him a dreaded obstacle in the way of the accomplishment of Napoleon's ambitious schemes---was made highly probable by the unguarded utterances which occasionally, though rarely, broke the reticence which characterized his life in this vicinity, and now less the air of authority which pervaded his presence, implying that he had been accustomed to command.
The Muller mansion is situated about three miles west of Georgetown village, and although it has suffered greatly from the ravages of time, and still more from the negligence and destructiveness of its tenant occupants, is still an object of interest, though not at all suggestive of the immense sum lavished upon it and its surroundings.4 The house is seventy by thirty feet. The timber (all of which is cherry) and bricks, together with other articles used in its construction, were brought from Hamilton, but not upon horseback, as a contemporary has remarked. The sills are massive and rest upon a foundation of solid masonry. The walls of the superstructure consist of cherry timbers eight inches thick and eleven feet high, standing upright, mortised into the sills and doweled together, making a fortress-like structure. These were covered outside with clapboards and lathed and plastered within. The interior was elegantly finished, the fire-places lined with black marble, and supplied with costly furniture. Some three hundred acres of land were cleared in its immediate vicinity and made ornate with fruit trees and shrubbery. The brook
Horace Hawks was born in the town of Hawley, Franklin county, Mass., November 19th, 1795. His parents, Zadock and Rhoda (Parker) Hawks, were natives also of Massachusetts. The former was born September 15th, 1770, and died January 30th, 1863; the latter was born January 1st, 1775, and died in 1824. They were married January 1st, 1795, and had eleven children born to them, namely: Horace, born as above; Arunah, born January 22d, 1797, died young; Emily, born November 22d, 1798, died in 1879; Levi P., born April 6th, 1801, died in infancy; Olive and Orra, (twins,) born June 4th, 1802, both now dead; a daughter born; Zadock, born August 8th, 1805, died in October, 1865; Consider P., born October 16th, 1807, died in February, 1839; Jeremiah L., born April 21st, 1810; and Israel C., born, March 6th, 1816, still living.
Horace lived at home and attended the district school until he was ten years old; he never attended school after that age. He then went to the town of Deerfield, Franklin county, Mass, to live with his uncle, and learned the trade of tanner and currier, and followed that occupation until he came to Georgetown in 1814. The entire distance from Massachusetts was made on foot. He followed various occupations here for about a year, and then went back to Massachusetts and remained another year. He then came back to Georgetown in company with his parents. They settled on Lot 58, and lived there until they died,-- the father aged ninety-four years, and the mother forty-nine years. Horace lived on the old home farm until he died, December 6th, 1876, and the same is now owned and occupied by his son Austin.
In 1820, Horace married Hannah, daughter of Gideon Bordwell, of the town of Shelburne, Franklin county, Mass. She was born March 12th, 1799. By her he had nine children, namely: Gideon Bordwell, born February 26th, 1821, died September 17th, 1823; a son, died in infancy; Polly, born February 24th, 1823, died May 22d, 1872; John Q., born March 31st, 1825, married Palmyra C. Niles, August 31st, 1848; Rhoda, born January 26th, 1827, married Benjamin Fletcher, of Georgetown, in 1847; Eli, born January 15th, 1829, married, first, Flora Douglass, and for his second wife, Elizabeth Potter, both of Wisconsin, where he is now residing in Dodge county; a daughter, born January 24th, 1831, died in infancy; Austin, born January 30th, 1833, married Susan S. Wadsworth, January 3d, 1855, she died May 1st, 1S55,--his second wife, Arvilla A. Amsbry, he married June 1st, 1859; and Sally B., born January 19th, 1835, married John Fletcher, in January 1857, and is now residing in Lake City, Minnesota.
Six years after the death of his first wife, Mr. Hawks married Miss Tryphena Bordwell, a cousin of the former. By her he had no children.
Mr. Hawks is remembered by the people of Georgetown as one of the most prominent and useful citizens of the town during a long and busy life. He was chosen by them to fill some of its most important and responsible offices, and served the town in all these places with a fidelity and honesty of purpose that won for him the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens of all parties.
In the second year of his residence in Georgetown, he was elected to the office of Constable and Collector, which was the start in his long and honorable career. He was elected Justice of the Peace, and held that o/ ice about twenty years. He was also elected Supervisor of his town, and held that office n number of years. In 1840, he was appointed Enumerator in taking the United States Census that year. In 18-14, he was elected to the Legislature, and took his seat in the following year. He was appointed Appraiser of lands taken by the Syracuse & Utica Railroad, now the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. He was also elected President of the Eaton and Georgetown Plank Road Company, and held that office until he died; and during the twenty-eight years he held the office he never missed the annual meetings of the Company but twice. In 1870, he was appointed by Judge Kennedy to the o/ice of Railroad Commissioner. In his early years he took up the study of surveying, and during the first years of his residence here he was engaged in all parts of the surrounding country making surveys of lands.
In politics, Mr. Hawks was a staunch Democrat, frank and fearless in advocating the measures and principles of his party. He possessed strong common sense and uncommon sagacity in business affairs. He was a good neighbor, and kind friend, an affectionate husband, and loving father. In religious sentiment he was a Congregationalist, and united with that Church in Georgetown in 1831. He helped to build the Church in that village, and was Trustee and Clerk of the Society several years, and was liberal of his means in aid of the same. He was a member of the American Bible Society more than forty years and until he died, and made all of his children life members of the same."
Anticipating Bonaparte's disastrous retreat from Russia, Muller, on the opening of that fatal campaign, at once made preparations to return to France; and in 1814, on the abdication of Bonaparte and his imprisonment at Elba, he took his family to New York and leaving them there went to France. In 1816 he returned to this country. But during his absence the agent in whose care he left his Georgetown property had stripped the house of its furniture, disposed of the stock and other movable property, and decamped with the proceeds, leaving behind him a scene of desolation and ruin. Dismayed with the air of wanton destruction which pervaded his deserted village and the cherished objects with which he had surrounded the home of his exile, he sold the estate in 1816 to Abijah Weston, a merchant of New York city, for $10,500, and repaired to France, never more to return.
But little remains beside the house to indicate that Georgetown was ever the seat of a magnificent ducal residence, surrounded by the objects which are the associates of opulence and culture. The house is now owned and occupied by A. W. Tillotson, who came recently from Cazenovia, where he had been engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Tillotson has greatly improved its interior, which had suffered from the carelessness of its former occupants, but the exterior is denuded of paint, and otherwise unattractive from years of neglect.
TOWN OFFICERS.---The first town meeting was held at the house of John Holmes, March 5, 1816, and the following named officers were elected: William Payne, Supervisor; Epaphroditus Whitmore, Clerk; Ebenezer Hall, Daniel Alvord and Pitt Lawrence, Assessors; Daniel Hitchcock, Collector; Elijah Brown and Hanford Nichols, Overseers of the Poor; Alfred Brown, Asa West and Alexander McElwain, Commissioners of Highways; Daniel Hitchcock and Royce Collister, Constables; Robert Benedict, Ira Allen and Samuel White, Commissioners of Common Schools; Robert Benedict, Epaphroditus Whitmore, Daniel Hitchcock, Amos Gere, Elijah Jackson, Menoris Williams, Aaron Shepard, Nathan Benedict, Gad Taylor, Bradley Ladd, John Gipson, (probably Gibson,) John Alderman and Apollos Drake, Overseers of Highways and Fence Viewers.
The following is a statement of the votes cast in Georgetown, April 30 and May 1 and 2, 1816:---
|For||Daniel D. Tompkins,||for||Governor||15|
|"||John Taylor,||"||Lieut. Governor||15|
|"||Samuel M. Hopkins,||"||"||28|
|"||James B. Eldridge,||"||"||36|
|"||Thomas H. Hubbard,||"||Congress||36|
The following list of the officers of the town of Georgetown, for the year 1880-81, was kindly furnished us by A. C. Stanton :---
Town Clerk---Albert C. Stanton.
Justices---Zelotus A. White, Albert C. Stanton, Alanson J. Brown, Otis H. Whitmore.
Assessors---Austin A. Hawks, Philo Parker, John A. Wilson.
Commissioner of Highways---Milton D. Allen.
Overseer of the Poor---Hannibal C. Priest, Chas. M. White.
Constables---Newel H. Brown, Hiram R. Briggs, Milton D. Allen, Arthur Perry.
Collector---Newel H. Brown.
Inspectors of Elections---George W. Fletcher, James A. Thorp, J. Floyd Stoddard.
Sealer of Weights and Measures---A. C. Stanton.
Game Constable---Jerome W. Brown.
Excise Commissioners---Frank Whitmore, Lucius E. Beach, Albert E. Laselle.
The following have been the Supervisors and Clerks of the town from its organization to the present time:---
|1816-23.||William Payne.||Epaphroditus Whitmore|
|1824-5.||E. Whitmore.||John Brown.|
|1826.||Daniel Alvord.||Alexander McElwain.|
|1827.||S. B. Hoffman.||E. Whitmore.|
|1830.||do.||Ira B. Howard.|
|1835.||W. F. Bostwick.||E. Whitmore.|
|1842.||Truman Amsbry.||Alfred P. Blakeslee.|
|1843.||Truman Amsbry.||Rossetter Gleason.|
|1844.||Samuel Wickwire.||Zinah J. Moseley.|
|1845.||Elijah Brown.||William P. Bonney.|
|1848-9.||Zinah J. Moseley.||do.|
|1851-2.||Enoch L. Savage.||do.|
|1853-4.||Zinah J. Moseley.||do.|
|1855.||W. P. Bonney.||Robert Ray.|
|1858.||do.||William P. Bonney.|
|1859-60.||Elijah W. Brown.||James M. Hare.|
|1861-2.||C. M. Amsbry.5||do.|
|1863-5.||Alfred A. Brown.||do.|
|1866.||John W. Northrop.||Amasa Jackson.|
|1867.||do||William P. Bonney.|
|1868-9.||Elijah W. Brown.||do.|
|1870-1.||John W. Dryer.||do.|
|1872.||Elijah W. Brown.||Edgar C. Salisbury|
|1873, 6.||do.||William P. Bonney.|
|1878.||Alfred A. Brown.||Edgar C. Salisbury.6|
|1879.||Elijah W. Brown.||Albert C. Stanton.|
Georgetown is pleasantly situated in the valley of Otselic creek, a little south-east of the center of the town, and is distant about 2¾ miles from the station of the same name on the Syracuse and Chenango Valley Railroad. - It contains two churches, (Baptist and Methodist Episcopal,) a district school, one hotel, six stores, a cabinet shop, (Clark E. Sanford,) a cooper shop, (George Griffith,) a tannery, a carriage and blacksmith shop (Levi G. Dutton,) two shoe shops, (Robert Stewart and john Peckham,) two harness shops, (Rexford R. Hall and J. L. Hare,) a black-smith shop, (William Dutton & Son,) and a population of about 400.
The village is locally known as Slab City, a name which was suggested by Apollos Drake at the raising of the frame of the first saw-mill in the town, as a parallel with that of Log City, by which Eaton was previously designated.
MERCHANTS.---The first merchants in the village were Messrs. Dudley and Bemis, who commenced trading soon after the first settlement was made in the lower story of a building which stood opposite the Methodist church, but they did not continue long. In 1817, soon after Dudley & Bemis left, John F. Fairchild, from Sherburne, opened a store on the north-west village corner, where the residence of George Curtis now stands. He also kept tavern on the site of the present hotel, but was, however, preceded in that business by others. He traded and kept tavern a good many years. He removed to Cazenovia and was for several years engaged in the publication of The Republican Monitor in that village.
The first merchant of any importance was Ira B. Howard who opened a store about fifty-five years ago on the site of the residence of Hannibal Priest. He traded till about 1835, when he sold to Samuel and Charles Wickwire and went to Michigan. The Wickwires were brothers and came from Hamilton, to which village Charles returned after trading about a year, having sold his interest to his brother Samuel, who, about 1837, formed a co-partnership with Zinah J. Moseley, under the name of Wickwire & Moseley. Wickwire and Moseley continued about seven years when Samuel Ballard, from Lebanon, became a partner, and the business was conducted under the name of Wickwire, Moseley & Ballard between one and two years, when they sold to Elnathan Ellis, who owned the store. Moseley still resides in the village; but his mind is shattered, an affliction brought about by excessive mental labor. He was one of the most active business men in the town. He held various important town trusts, and was for some years Superintendent of the County Poor House.
About a year before Ellis & Hare closed out, Nelson Parmelee, and Enoch L. Savage, from Cazenovia, commenced trading in a small building which occupied the site of Hannibal Priest's shop. When Ellis & Hare vacated their store they moved into it. After a year or two Parmelee sold to John Clough.
The store now occupied by Jerome A. Norton was occupied for short periods by John Northrop, Northrop & Way, Northrop & Priest and Northrop & Henry, these changes, in all of which John Northrop was interested, taking place within three or four years. Zinah N. Dutton, a native of Georgetown, brought a stock of goods from Canastota about 1873, and after trading some two years removed to Oneida. In December, 1877, Jerome A. Norton, from Taylor, in company with Mrs. Nancy Norton, his brother's wife, occupied the same store and traded till the death of the latter in June, 1879. Mr. Norton still carries on a general merchandise business.
The other merchants now engaged in business here are S. C. Whitmore, who carries on a general merchandise business in the store built by Moseley & Hare in 1850 for Mr. Savage, and in which he and Mr. Hare afterwards conducted their business; W. A. Hare, a native of Georgetown, who is dealing in boots, shoes, drugs, medicines and groceries; Dwight Whitmore, a native of Georgetown and dealer in groceries and gent's furnishing goods, who commenced business March 1, 1874; Albert C. Stanton,
The subject of this sketch was born in Hoosack, Rensselaer county, N. Y., October 5th, 1803. His parents were Ebenezer and Sarah (Wright) Moseley. The former was born February 14th, 1769, and died the day he was ninety years old, in the town of Georgetown, February l4th, 1859. The latter was born May 9th, 1777; she died in Georgetown, September 3d, 1850. They settled in Lebanon about 1805, and in Georgetown in 1840. They had four children, viz: Alvin, born February 4th. 1798, died January 2d, 1879; Elizabeth, born December 28th, 1799, died April 9th, 1867; Sarah, born May 26th, 1801, died March 1st, 1803; and Zinah J., born as above.
These parents were not blessed with an abundance of this world's goods, and their children were forced to go out to work for their own living while yet very young. Their advantages for obtaining an education were, therefore, extremely limited, and our subject attended the district school not more than two or perhaps three terms, and never any school after he was ten years old.
For want of information we can speak only of that portion of our subject's career that dates from the time of his arrival in Georgetown in 1836. That year he, in company with Horace Campbell, engaged in merchandising. Mr. Campbell soon retired, and Samuel Wickwire, who had been in trade here, was taken in as a partner, and they continued together for some years. His next business venture was that of keeping a hotel, which business he followed successfully a few years. In 1855 he, in company with his son-in-law, William W. Hare, built a tannery, and carried on that business several years. He also carried on farming: quite extensively, and dealt in live stock very largely. He has been one of Georgetown's most active and enterpising business men, and no citizen of the town has been more highly esteemed for qualities of a high order. He has been kind to the poor; the unfortunate never appealed to him in vain for help; they were not only certain of his sympathy but his kindly assistance, and it seemed to afford him pleasure to do what he could consistently to alleviate the suffering and distress of the worthy poor; and now when the deepest affliction is upon him, he has the sympathy of all true men and women. Some three years ago he became entirely blind for some unknown cause, and since that time what is deplored more deeply by his family, and friends that are legion, his mind has become so shattered that he fails to recognize even the members of his household. He is tenderly cared for by his daughter, Mary S. and her husband, Mr. Allen, who are doing all in their power to smooth his pathway down to his last resting place.
When Mr. Moseley could take an interest in politics he was a staunch Republican. He was it firm and active friend of the Government in its struggle with a wicked rebellion, and rejoiced in its final triumph.
As an evidence of his popularity, his townsmen elected him to several offices of trust, the duties of which were performed with that honesty of purpose that has characterized his business and social life. He has been Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, and County Superintendent of the Poor six years, and again the same office nine years in succession. He was also appointed Loan Commissioner, and performed the duties of that office several years. In religious sentiment he was a Baptist, and was a member of the church early in life, but severed his connection with it in Georgetown several years ago for reasons that seemed to him sufficient. '
In 1824,the 21st day of September, he was united in marriage with Mary, daughter of Deacon Timothy and Mary (Herrick) Conant, of Lebanon. She was born June 15th. 1805, and died March 28th, 1870. Her parents were among the early settlers in Lebanon. They had a family of nine children, namely: Wesley, Mary, Dorcas, Alexa, Roxcy, Stoughton, Jane, Susan and Clarissa; only two of whom are now living,--Jane, now Mrs. Russell Whitmore, of Georgetown, and Clarissa, wife of Rev. Mr. Gorman, of Wisconsin.
The children born to Zinah and Mary Moseley were four in number, and their names and dates of birth are as follows: Roxcy, born January 20th, 1829, married William W. Hare of Georgetown, May 9th, 1848, died December 23d, 1877; Orren E., born April 13th, 1833, died February 27th, 1834; Mary C., born June 6th. 1838, died July 7th, 1838; and Mary S., born July 16th, 1842, married Milton D. Allen, of Georgetown, Sept. l9th, 1866.
POSTMASTERS.---The first postmaster was probably John F. Fairchild, who was succeeded by David Parker, Alexander McElwain, Dr. Epaphroditus Whitmore, who held the office nineteen years, Zinah Moseley, William W. Hare, who held it some ten or twelve years, James Hare, William H. Johnson, (under Buchannan,) Harvey Robie, William Way, and W. A. Hare, the present incumbent, who was appointed March 30, 1874.
PHYSICIANS.--- The first physician was Epaphroditus Whitmore, a native of East Haddam, Conn., whence he removed about 1804 Hamilton, where he studied medicine with Dr. Thomas Greenly, and married Susannah Hovey of Madison. He was licensed by the Madison county Medical Society and in 1810 established himself in practice in Georgetown, continuing till his death, Nov. 6, 1851, aged 67, though he did not practice much during the latter years of his life.
Dr. Whitmore taught the first winter school, though a summer school had been previously kept by Sarah Dimmock, niece of Mrs. Pitt Lawrence, the latter of whom is recollected as one of the best women in the town, but who, contrary to the adage that "the good die early," lived to the remarkable age of 94 years--dying April 2, 1867. Miss Dimmock's school was kept in John C. Payne's frame house, which was then otherwise unoccupied. Dr. Whitmore's school was kept in Seth Smith's kitchen. Mr. Smith attended the mill in the village, and his house stood near it. This room was given up by the Smiths during the day for school purposes and occupied after school hours by their numerous family. This then was the only school in the town and was attended by children from all quarters of the town. Mr. Theron Drake was one of the Doctor's scholars, as he was also of Miss Dimmock's, and is probably the only one left of that class.
Drs. Guthrie, Blakeslee, Truman and Elliott Stewart practiced here, but only for short periods. Truman was located at Otselic. Dr. Babcock practiced here four or five years about the opening of the war, and removed to the western part of the State. Dr. Reynolds practiced in company with George W. Harris a short time and removed to South Otselic.
The present physicians are Benjamin Franklin, George W. Harris, Albright Dunham and Charles M. White, the former of whom has practiced here since 1844, with the exception of a year and a half spent in Ohio in l869-'70.
The tannery at Georgetown is owned by Mrs. Sarah Hartjen, whose husband, Christian Hartjen, acquired possession in April, 1875, and operated it till his death, Aug. 6, 1879, since which time the business has been conducted by his widow. It was built by J. W. Dwyer about 1859, on the site of one burned the same year. It contains thirty vats and tans about forty sides per week.
A half mile north of the village is a saw mill owned by Eber Salisbury, which was originally built by Bradford Payne in 1852, burned about 1858 or '9, and rebuilt by Payne the same year, and operated by him till it came into the possession of Mr. Salisbury, who again rebuilt it about 1865. It is situated on Otselic creek, which supplies the motive power. It contains also a feed run which was put in in 1876.
On the same stream, about two miles south of Georgetown, is a grist-mill and saw-mill owned by Richard Bliss. The first saw-mill on this site was built about 1819 by Manning Drake, who operated it several years. He sold it to Gideon Peckham, who after some five or six years sold it to Wheeler Dryer, on whose hands it went to decay. During Peekham's occupancy Charles DeClercq made shingles in it for several years. Dryer sold the privilege to Jonathan Robie, who rebuilt the mill in t84r and operated it for many years. He transferred the property to his son, Harry, who built the grist-mill about 1865 and sold both in April, 1872, to Henry Wadsworth, from whom they are known as Wadsworth's Mills. In the spring of 1879 Mr. Wadsworth sold them to Richard Bliss, the present proprietor.
The Blakesley House in Georgetown has been kept since ]an. 2, 1876, by Oscar M. Stewart. The first hotel on this site was built some seventy years ago. The present one was built as early as 1840 by Ebenezer Hall, who kept it several years.
Brown's Free Hall in Georgetown village, is an institution of the place deserving notice as well from its quaint appearance, its unusual architectural design, as the object for which, and the agency through which, it is claimed to have been built. It is not our province, neither shall we attempt a discussion as to the reasonableness or fallacy of the claims made as to its origin, but simply premise that there is very respectable, if unprejudiced, authority which predicates the ability of the builder to construct such a work unaided by any external influence. Mr. Timothy Brown, its builder, is a Spiritualist, and a man of very fair intelligence, with a reputation for industry and, in other respects, integrity. We quote from the Banner of Light of Jan. 18, 1879, a communication, which, though not made by him, is endorsed by him, as embracing the facts in regard to this singular building, the hall of which, though used for public purposes generally, is especially dedicated to the uses of free speech. After referring to certain clairvoyant phenomena, the Banner says :---
"Along with this was borne in upon him the conviction that this house must be built, and consecrated to Spiritualism and to free speech in the service of humanity. He could not resist the conviction, and it became the aim and enthusiasm of his life. He bought a wood-lot, got out his own logs and hewed his timber for the frame, which he began to build himself. Not a carpenter, and all unused to tools, he found that if he put his chisel in the wrong place his arm had no power to use the mallet or strike a blow, but when the chisel was rightly placed the blows were freely dealt. So, amidst the doubt or ridicule of his neighbors, the frame of a front building, thirty-five feet square, was finished. A master carpenter took charge of its raising, and when it stood complete he said to the people, 'This is as good and perfect a frame as I ever saw,' and they went home astonished. All this time, and through all the ten years which he took to finish his task, he was obliged to make a living and go on as he best could, on simplest fare and with constant labor, up to sixteen hours a day. His brave wife could not share his enthusiasm, but wrought as a skilled cheese-maker in the factories near by, and so won good wages and kept his house in order.
"With the frame raised he still toiled on, and all the building, save doors and window-sashes---everything, from cellar floor and foundation stones to the quaintly beautiful and unique carving of the cornice, is the work of his own hands-not a week's work to help him, and that of common laborers. All these years he wrought after the spiritual model, ever clear in his mind, and felt that he was guided by supernal intelligence and skill.
"The upper floor was a hall thirty-five feet square, the lower part the home of his wife and himself. He then [in 1874] bought at small cost a second-hand Presbyterian church, put it in the rear on the north side, built a piazza, and laid a floor to divide it into two stories, threw all the upper floor, front and rear, together, and his free hall is now seventy feet by thirty-five, plainly but neatly fitted up to seat some six hundred people or more, and the whole perfected building is the architectural ornament of the town. The singular yet beautiful carving on the front would attract attention anywhere. Good judges say that the work is substantial and thorough, the skill in its finer parts remarkable."
CHURCHES.----The first church formed in the town was of the Presbyterian order and soon after the settlement of the town was begun, but it has lost its organized existence. The church edifice built by this society was the first one in the town. It was built in 1824, a half mile north of the village; was subsequently removed to the village, and in 1874 was sold to Timothy Brown, who made of it a rear addition to his free hall noticed previously.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Georgetown.---About 1830, Rev. J. M. Snyder, then stationed at Earlville, was invited by persons of this persuasion to hold meetings in what was then known as the Atwood school-house, two miles north of Georgetown village. As the result of his labors a Methodist class was formed, composed in part of the following named persons: Julius Hitchcock (leader) and wife, Peter Nichols and wife, and Luke Hitchcock, son of Julius, the latter of whom is now one of the agents of the 'Western Book Concern.' The first class formed in the village was composed of Josiah Purdie and wife, _____ Beebe and wife, Julius Way and wife, and William Bostwick and wife. In 1841 the second class was formed by the union of the other two, and one of its members---T. O. Drake, still remains here.
Their church edifice was built by the Free church, which was formed in 1845 by a division in the membership of the Presbyterian church on the subject of slavery, and was purchased by the Methodists at a cost, including bell, of $650.
Since the charge has been in its present form, composed of the churches in North Otselic and Georgetown, the pastors have been T. Cooper and W. Bunnell each of whom served one year ; J. S. Brooks and I. Lord, each three years, the latter of whom died during the third year, when E. A. Peck was appointed to fill his place; T. F. Harris, three and a half years; D. Williams and H. C. Andrews, each one year; A. S. Durling, two years; and S. A. Luce, the present pastor, who is serving his first year. The number of full members is 112; probationers, 8; the attendance at Sabbath school, 80.
The Georgetown Baptist Church.---In 1813, a branch church in Otselic was formed from the DeRuyter church, comprising members in the south part of Georgetown, from which was formed the first church in Otselic. About that time Pitt Lawrence was converted in Georgetown. He was a man of influence and talent, so a branch church was continued with meetings mainly held in Georgetown. R. H. Benedict, who was pastor at De Ruyter, did missionary work and administered the first baptism in the town. Elders Cooly and Mealthy also preached and baptized the first settlers. Jonathan Wade, Jacob Knapp and J. L. Moore preached to this branch church from time to time. Allen B. Freeman preached to them one year. Oct. 29, 1831, a meeting was held in the school-house south of the village, of which Deacon Samuel Payne, of Hamilton, was chosen moderator and John Brown, clerk. At this meeting it was resolved to organize a church, and on the 12th of November following this resolution was carried into effect. Twenty-one entered into church covenant and were recognized by a council, Nov. 26, 1831.
John B. Morrow was born in the town of Augusta, Oneida county, N. Y., October 4th, 1820. His parents were William and Elizabeth (Butler) Morrow, natives of Ireland, who were born, the father in 1790, and the mother in 1800.
They came to America when quite young and settled in the town of Augusta, Oneida county, where they lived three years, and then came to Georgetown and located on the farm where the subject of this brief sketch is now living. They remained here thirty-one years, and then returned to the town of Augusta and lived there until they died. The mother died September 17th, 1855, aged fifty-five years and ten days, and the father January 6th, 1873, aged eighty-three years, four months and twenty-seven days. They had ten children, namely: John B., Mary L., William D., (died June 5th, 1857,) Isabel, Elizabeth, Jane. Frances, Annvernette and James E.,--all are now living except William D.
John B. lived at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he married Susan Marshall, of the town of Eaton, Madison county, the (6th of January, 1846. By her he had four children, as follows: Frances, born April 17th, 1849, died December 30th, 1851; Francelia, born March 26th, 1855, married Albert E. LaSell, of Lebanon, February 6th, 1872; J. Franklin, born July 8th, 1858, died December l5th, 1872; and Gertrude, born January 24th, 1861. The mother of these children died February 12th. 1875.
March 6th, 1876, Mr. Morrow married Jennie A. Barker, of Oswego, N. Y. She was born January 31st, 1850, and is the daughter of P. B. and Frances M. (Perry) Barker. By this wife he has one son, Franklin A., born June l5th, 1877.
The farm on which Mr. Morrow lives originally contained 170 acres, and since his purchase of it from his father, he has added to it from time to time until it now contains 327 acres. Mr. Morrow has been a hard working, industrious farmer, and a great portion of his highly cultivated and improved farm was cleared by his own hands, and now it may safely be said that it is one of the very best in the county.
Mr. Morrow commenced life without a shilling, (to use his own words,) and has succeeded by energy and perseverance in accumulating a fine property. He had no advantages for an education--two terms at a district school being all that he ever enjoyed; but the training he received during his minority and his natural ability and determination admirably fitted him for the work of carving out of the wilderness the comfortable home which now, in his declining years, rewards him for his toil and industry.
Mr. Morrow is generous in support of all worthy enterprises, and is universally esteemed by all who know him for his many excellent qualities of head and heart.
Dec. 10, 1831, Allen A. Freeman was received by letter and engaged to preach one-half the time for a year. At the same time Pitt Lawrence was elected deacon and John Brown, clerk. Mr. Freeman was a very worthy man and rendered invaluable service to the church in its infancy.
The first persons baptized were S. P. Way, who afterwards became a minister, and Amanda Cross; the ordinance was administered by Amos Kingsley.
Their church edifice was built in 1834 and dedicated in November of that year.
The pastors, their terms of service and the number of baptized by each, is as follows :---
|D. G. Corey, ordained March 5, 1835,||3||years,||Baptized||54.|
|O. H. Reed, 1839-'40||2||"||"||32.|
|Nathan Wood, ordained Sept 2. 1841,||4||"||"||19|
|R. L. Wariner,||2||"||"||---|
|Reuben Persons, ordained Aug. 22, 1848,||4||"||"||20.|
|A. Hall, ordained by this church,||2||"||"||9.|
|William C. Hubbard,||l½||"||"||9.|
|E. C. Cook,||2||"||"||1.|
|Wm. Hickey, ordained Feb. 26, 1859,||1||"||"||11.|
|I. K. Bronson,||8||months,||"||l.|
|J. R. Haskin,||4||years,||"||15.|
|C. S. Crain,||7||"||"||15.|
|W. Mudge, commenced in 1879, the present pastor.|
In 1837 and '38 the church was without a settled pastor, and had at this time their first trials with unworthy members. During portions of the years 1840 and '41, between the pastorates of O. H. Reed and N. Wood, the church was supplied from Hamilton. In 1841, Edmund B. Cross was set apart to preach the gospel. He has filled an eminent place in the missionary field of India. In 1847, between the pastorates of R. L. Wariner and Reuben Persons, Nathan Palmer, a student from Hamilton, and Stephen Holroyd supplied them. Following the pastorate of E. C. Cook, B. W. Morey supplied them one year, and succeeding that of William Hickey, they were supplied two years by Revs. L. E. Swan, Morey and Koonts. They were supplied for a short time after I. K. Brownson closed his labors by Mr. Welber. In 1874, succeeding the pastorate of C. S. Crain, they were supplied by Revs. Swan and Morey, and for a few months in 1875 by Ross Matthews, of Hamilton.
The following have been the changes in membership:---
|No. of||constituent members||21|
|"||received by letter||152|
|"||" on experience||14|
|"||dismissed by letter||130|
|Present number of members7||144|
MANUFACTURES.---The stave-mill at Georgetown Station, of which W. H. Lynn is proprietor, was built about six years ago by W. H. Lynn and C. Jaquith, who carried on the business till the death of Jaquith, some two years after, when his brother A. J., took his interest and held it some three years. The establishment gives employment to thirteen men about six months of the year.
WAR OF THE REBELLION.---Georgetown furnished 150 men to aid in the suppression of the Rebellion and 20 who resided here but enlisted in other towns. Of the former 31 were natives, and 76 residents of the town; 6 re-enlisted as veterans, 6 were substitutes, and 2 were drafted; 1 enlisted for five years, 134 for three years, 3 for two years and 15 for one year. They were distributed among the various branches of the service as follows: 1 each in the 81st, 93d, 96th, 111th, 117th and 185th, 3 in the 184th, 5 in the 35th, 15 in the 114th, 19 in the 76th and 26 in the 157th infantry regiments; 1 in the 20th, 2 in the 15th and 9 in the Oneida Independent cavalry organizations; 1 each in the 1st, 5th and 9th and 2 in the 3d artillery regiments; and 1 each in the 1st Mo. Engineers and 68th Illinois.
Statement of bounties received :---
|1||received||a town||bounty of||$ 10.|