LEBANON was formed from Hamilton Feb. 6, 1807, its name being suggested in the Legislature by General Erastus Cleveland, of Madison, who championed the bill which divided the original town of Hamilton into four towns, as it was then composed of four townships, the 5th forming the town of Lebanon. It is the center town on the south border of the county, and is bounded on the north by Eaton, south by Smyrna, east by Hamilton, and west by Georgetown. Its surface is a hilly upland, lying mostly between the Chenango and Otselic valleys, the former of which, extending through the east border of the town, is beautiful and fertile, expanding to about a mile in width, and bordered by steep hill-sides. The highest summits, in the western part, are 500 to 800 feet above the valley. The other streams are small, but numerous, and are tributary to the Chenango.
The town is mostly underlaid by the rocks of the Hamilton group, those of the higher groups prevailing in the west part. Good stone for underpinnings is obtained from a quarry in the latter on the farm of Mr. Grassfield, near the east border of Georgetown; and in the former, up the gorge a mile west of Smith's Valley. The stone from the latter was used for State purposes, for building locks and abutments on the canal. The soil upon the hills is a gravelly loam, underlaid by hardpan, and in the valleys, alluvium. The people are engaged almost exclusively in agricultural pursuits, dairying being the chief branch of agriculture. Hops are raised but not extensively. The dairies arc mostly private ones, there being only two factories in the town.
The New York, Ontario and Western Railroad crosses the east border of the town along the valley of the Chenango, connecting at Smith's Valley with the Utica, Clinton and Binghamton Railroad, which extends a short distance into the north-east part of the town, and at Earlville with the Syracuse and Chenango Valley Railroad, which extends diagonally through the central part of the town, from north-west to south-east.
The population of the town in 1875 was 1,473; of whom 1,362 were native, 111 foreign, 1,461 white, 12 colored, 760 males and 713 females. Its area was 26,125 acres; of which 20,682 acres were improved, 4,922 woodland, and 521 otherwise unimproved. The cash value of farms was $1,262,525; of farm buildings, other than dwellings, $163,710; of stock, $220,185; of tools and implements, $47,971. The amount of gross sales from farms in 1874 was $152,119.
There are twelve common school districts in the town. During the year ending Sept. 30, 1879, there were twelve licensed teachers employed at one time during twenty-eight weeks or more. The number of children of school age residing in the districts at that date was 421. . During that year there were seven male and sixteen female teachers employed; the number of children residing in the districts who at-tended school was 330; in other districts, 23; of whom seven were under five or over twenty-one years of age; the average daily attendance during the year was 192.010; the number of volumes in district libraries was 604, the value of which was $272; the number of school houses was twelve, eleven frame and one stone, which, with the sites, embracing one acre and 137 rods, valued at $465, were valued at $2,995; the assessed value of taxable property in the districts was $695,498. The number of children between eight and fourteen years of age residing in the districts at that date was 47, of whom 42 attended district school fourteen weeks of that year.
Receipts and disbursements for school purposes:---
|Amount on hand Oct. 1, 1878||$ 4.35|
|Amount apportioned to districts||1,300.90|
|Proceeds of Gospel and school lands||62.69|
|Raised by tax||392.32|
|From teachers' board||112.00|
|From other sources||1.00|
|Paid for teachers' wages||$1,665.16|
|" school apparatus||.50|
|" school-houses, sites, fences, out-houses, repairs, furniture, etc.||74.20|
|" incidental expenses||126.82|
|Amount remaining on hand Sept. 30, 1879||5.06|
SETTLEMENTS.---Lebanon was one of the six towns originally patented to Col. William S. Smith, who soon after transferred the major portion of it to Sir William Pultney, reserving, however, a large tract bordering the Chenango. There were, therefore, two agencies active in promoting the settlement of the lands in this town, and under their stimulus it was both rapid and important.
In 1791, the year in which Mr. Smith's purchase was made, but previous to the consummation of the purchase, that gentleman commissioned his friend, Joshua Smith, a native of Franklin, Conn., who was an officer under him in the Revolution, to select lands for him in the Chenango Twenty Townships, then recently opened to settlement. Joshua Smith visited the lands that year, making the journey upon horseback, and having built a log house for future occupancy about a hundred rods south of Smith's Valley, where Nathaniel Barr now lives, he returned East, and on his report Col. Smith's purchase was made. These were the first measures looking to the settlement of the town. Joshua Smith afterwards returned here, married and raised a family, but subsequently removed to Riga, Monroe county.
Col. Smith sent his brother, Justus B., here to act as agent for the sale of these lands, and he, together with his brothers John and James and five sisters, afterwards joined him in the settlement. The Smiths were natives of Long Island, wealthy and highly educated, and all the brothers were officers in the Revolution. Col. William S. Smith, was graduated at Princeton college in 1774. He was appointed the first United States Marshal fur the District of New York, Sept. 26, 1789; and a Representative in Congress from 1813 till his death. He died in Smith's Valley in 1816, before the expiration of his Congressional term. Justus B. Smith died there the same year, or rather at the residence of John W. Bulkley, with whom he went to live shortly before his death. He was a bachelor, and lived on the east side of the river, at the lower landing, three-fourths of a mile below Smith's Valley Station.
The first settlement, however, was made by Jonathan Bates, from Vermont, who, in the fall of 1792, came in company with Enoch Stowell, from New Hampshire and John and James Salisbury from Vermont. The Salisburys located in Eaton; Bates and Stowell on the north line of this town, on lot 7, in the north-east part, Bates where Joshua Cramphin now lives, and Stowell where his son Horace now lives. They erected a bark shanty and during that fall cleared twenty acres of land. They then went to Bainbridge and spent the winter with friends from Vermont who had settled in that town. The following spring Bates returned with his family which was then the only one in the town, and resided on the farm he first located till his death, April 20, 1827, aged 72, also his wife Elizabeth; who (lied April 25, 1828, aged 77. His son Henry succeeded him on the homestead and died there August 14, 1831, aged 39. David, an older brother of Henry's, who was a cooper, lived in the town a great many years, and removed to Cazenovia where his wife died, when he removed to Richfield Springs and died there. None of the family are left here.
Enoch Stowell returned a little later and married here Cynthia, sister of Benjamin Church, who came in soon after Stowell and settled a little below him, on the opposite side of the flats, where, till recently and for many years, James Betts lived. He died June 3, 1859, aged 92. His son Horace who succeeded him on the homestead, is the only one of the children left in the town.
Settlements were made in the spring of 1794 by David Hartshorn and Samuel Felt, and during that year by David Felt, brother to Samuel.
David Hartshorn, who had previously prospected the locality, came from Lisbon, Conn., with his family, consisting of his wife Lemira Lillie, a native of Windham, Conn., and one child, John, and settled at Wheeler's Mills, on the west bank of the Chenango, a half mile above Smith's Valley, to which his farm ex-tended. He kept tavern here at an early day and for several years, and here his wife died.
John Hartshorn, his oldest child, was the first postmaster at Smith's Valley. He was appointed about 1817 and held the office till his removal to Syracuse, in 1820. He is still living in that city and was 87 years old March 11, 1879.
Jacob Hartshorn and Joseph Phelps, the former a brother and the latter a brother-in-law of David Hartshorn's, came in a little later and settled in the north part of the town.
Samuel Felt settled on the west side of the Chenango, in the locality of Earlville, and David near him. They were from Sumrnerstown, Conn. Samuel had been in the previous year, selected his land and erected a cabin. Both the Felts died early, Samuel, July 31, 1803, aged 68, and David, August 3, 1810, aged 47. Both had large families, their children generally settling near them, and many of them died there. Samuel's sons were Jehiel, Samuel, Elam, John, Jabin, Sylvester and David. Elam died August 7, 1843, aged 68. Asa, a son of David's, died here Jan. 24, 1875, aged 87. Horace, another son of David's, who was born here Aug. 18, 1795, was one of the first, if not the first, children born in the town. He died Nov. 27, 1851, aged 56.
Lent Bradley and Solomon Jones settled in the town as early as 1797. Mr. Bradley located on lot 4, on the north line, where John Bennett now lives, and both he and his wife died there.
John W. Bulkley came as early as 1798, and David and Dunham Shapley and Arunah Moseley about that year.
The Shapleys and Moseley were members of the Shaker Community at New Lebanon, Columbia county, in which David Shapley was a ruling elder, so highly esteemed that his father made obeisance to him. They clandestinely left that community in company with three female members whom they afterwards married. David brought Lydia, sister of Arunah Moseley, and Moseley, Sally, sister of the Shapleys. David settled about a mile below Jonathan Bates and Enoch Stowell, where his son Lewis, and grandson, Spencer Shapley, now live; Dunham, a younger brother, about a mile south-east of him, on a farm now owned by Deloss White, a lawyer in Hamilton; and Moseley on the east border of the Campbell Settlement, where Palmer Kenyon now lives. Each died where he settled.
The Campbells settled here at an early day, previous to 1800. There were nine distinct families, all of whom were related, and came from Sterling, Conn., viz: Daniel, Allen, James, Steward, Isaac, Archibald and John,1 sons of the widow Patience Campbell, and John and Charles, sons of the widow Nancy Campbell. They all settled in the west part of the north-east quarter in the north part of the town, at what is known as Campbell Settlement. Both Nancy and Patience came in with their children. Nancy, who was then seventy years of age, taught in her house in 1801, the first school in the town. She lived with her sons, who settled on adjoining farms, Charles where Thomas Price now lives, and John where Amos Green now lives. Patience lived with her son James, who located where Norman Congdon lives. Steward settled adjoining the latter, on a farm of fifty acres now owned and occupied by Alfred Seymour, who also owns and occupies the farm on which their brothers, John, Isaac and Archibald settled. Daniel and Allen settled in the east part of the Campbell settlement, which comprised several hundred acres, on the farm now owned by Mrs. Anna Faucett, of Eaton, and occupied by George C. Cady. A part of the farm is occupied by the Kingsley Brook Reservoir. Both farms passed into the hands of John G., oldest son of Allen Campbell, and from him to his only child, the present owner. With the exception of Steward, Little John," and Isaac, who went west, and Daniel, who died on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Stephen R. Campbell, near the south line of the town, all the original settlers of the Campbells died where they located.
Daniel and Elisha Wheeler, brothers, came from Chatham, Columbia county, about 1797 or '98. Daniel settled about three miles west of Lebanon Springs, and both he and his brother engaged in milling operations, and were the first to supply the great want of the settlers in this locality,---a saw and grist-mill. They were both millwrights. Elisha built a saw-mill on the west side of the Chenango, at Smith's Valley, in 1798; and Daniel a grist-mill soon after on the east side of the river, about a mile above Smith's Valley. The latter was destroyed by fire about 1804, just after having been repaired and supplied with new stones obtained from Albany. This loss was felt to be a public calamity, and the next day as soon as the misfortune was made known the settlers gathered from the surrounding country for miles around at the scene of the conflagration. Arrangements were made before night for the rebuilding of the mill, and operations were commenced the following day. The saw-mill now owned by Mr. Simmons occupies the site of the old saw-mill. The grist-mill occupied the site of the Armstrong mill, which, after the construction of the canal feeder, which injuriously affected the water power, was used as a carriage shop, and at present as a store house by Waldo Armstrong, who owns the property, which was previously in possession of his father, Jabin, some forty years.
Settlements were made about 1800 by Malchiah Hatch, Dane Ballard, Elihu Bosworth, Jabin Armstrong, Thomas Buell and Abraham Webster. Hatch was a prominent man in his day. He settled near the Shapleys, on what is known as the Ladd farm, where he died at an early day.
Dane Ballard came from Pelham, Mass., to Madison, in 1800, and settled just north of the Rhode Island quarter, where John B. Coe now lives, whence, in 1803, he removed to Lebanon, settling on lot 58, on the site of Lebanon village, which is on lots 57 and 58, the north and south street being the lot line. He located on the place now owned by Alexander D. Thayer, where, in 1804, he built the first saw-mill on the site of the present one in Lebanon village.
Silas Seymour, the seventh and youngest son of his father's family, was born in Hartford, Conn., May 7, 1777, and removed soon after his father's death the same year, to Stillwater, N. Y., and his brother, William, who brought him up, and who, together with his next two brothers, were in the American army and present at the surrender of Burgoyne, on the 17th of October following. There, in 1800, Silas married Sally Gilbert and removed the same year to Lebanon, where he took up some sixty acres on lot 24, which, by subsequent acquisitions, he increased to over two hundred acres, the major portion of which is owned by his son, Alfred. There he resided till his death, August 2, 1845. His wife also died there Oct. 5, 1850.
Elihu Bosworth came from Guilford, Conn., as early as 1800, and settled in the north-west part of the town, on the farm now occupied by Peter Nevin, where he resided till within a short time of his death, which occurred in the county house about 1853 or '4.
Silas Seymour, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Hartford, Conn., May 7, 1777. His parents were Eleazer and Anna (Merrills) Seymour, also natives of Connecticut. Eleazer was a nail maker, and followed that occupation when the use of machinery in the business was unknown. Silas was the seventh son in a family of twelve children whose names were as follows: William, Jesse, Noah, Joel, John, Eleazer, Silas, Lucy, Lydia, Mehitable, Rhoda and Elizabeth. William, Jesse and Noah were in the Revolutionary army, and were present at the surrender of Burgoyne at the battle of Stillwater, Oct. 16, 1777.
Silas married Sally, daughter of Eleazer and Sarah (Weeks) Gilbert, at Stillwater, Saratoga Co., N. Y., Nov. 2, 1800. She was born April 1, 1779. They moved to Lebanon, Madison Co., in the winter of 1801, and settled on lot 25, and lived there until they died. The death of Silas occurred the 2d of August, 1845, and that of his wife, Oct. 5, 1850. They had eleven children, ten of whom came to maturity, viz: Fanny, born Dec. 19, 1801; Eleazer, born May 3, 1803, (dead): Lucy Ann. born Jan. 26, 1805, died in infancy; Miranda, born Sept. 12, 1806 Henry, born April 15, 1808; William, born Oct. 19, 1810; Sally, born June 3, 1813: Maria, born May 3, 1815; Alfred, Jan. 8, 1817; Charlotte, April 14, 1821; and Mary, July, 14, 1827; nine of whom are yet living.
Silas cleared the land on which he settled and followed farming for a living. He was elected the first town clerk at the organization of the town in 1807. He held that office many years. He held other positions of trust, but was never an office-seeker He was nominated for Assemblyman several times, but the party he belonged to (Whig) was in the minority, and he was always beaten. He was in every sense of the word a home man. He was the friend and supporter of educational interests.
He taught his children to avoid all bigotry, sectarianism and intolerance, believing that liberal views conduced to the best development of human character. His belief religiously was that Christ came to bless the world with sentiments to be practically applied in the affairs of every day human life for the benefit of the world at large.
His advice and counsel was sought by those in trouble, and he always advised peace and conciliatory measures in the adjustment of personal affairs. He was the foe of intemperance, and his voice was heard on all proper occasions in condemnation of that evil as well as of slavery everywhere.
He was a humanitarian of the broadest and truest type, and when death claimed him, the town in which he lived so many years of upright and perfect life lost one of its purest and noblest citizens.
Alfred, the ninth child of Silas and Sally Seymour, has always lived on the old homestead, and is now occupying the house built by his father in 1828. It is a stone structure, and from present appearances, will stand the worst usages of time and the elements for ages to come. Alfred is one of the leading men of the town, really filling the place left vacant by his father. He is a Republican in politics, but has never been an aspirant for office. Being a close reader he is capable of discussing intelligently the affairs that agitate the public mind. He is a deacon in the Congregational church at Lebanon village, now serving his second term of that office. He was secretary of the Agricultural Society of the town of Lebanon, and was afterwards president of the same when it was in its most flourishing condition.
He is a warm advocate of temperance, and takes an active part in measures designed to promote the prosperity of the town, and the moral and intellectual improvement of its citizens. He has carried on farming extensively, and has been highly successful.
January 1st, 1846 Mr. Seymour married Rhoda H., daughter of William and Mercy (Tifft) Green, natives of Rhode Island. Her father was born April 1, 1779. He was a son of Amos and Elsie Green. William married Mercy Tifft, daughter of Jeremiah and Rhoda (Hoxie) Tifft, May 1, 1801; Mercy was born May 20, 1785. They came and settled in Brookfield about 1803. They had eleven children, as follows: Hoxie, born August 28, 1802, (dead); Mary, born Dec. 24, 1804 (dead); William, Jr., born Jan. 14, 1807; Eliza, born April 5, 1809, (dead); Jeremiah T., born Oct. 18, 1811, (dead); Mercy, born Oct 18, 1814; Peleg, born April 14, 1817; Levi, born June 16, 1819; Amos, born August 31, 1821; Martha E., born Oct. 15, 1823 (dead); Rhoda H., horn March 27, 1826. The mother died Sept. 20, 1839, and William, the father, died in Lebanon where he had moved after the death of his wife, March, 1857, aged 78 years.
To Alfred and Rhoda Seymour have been born seven children The names of those living are Silas W., born August 2, 1847, married Amelia Morgan, in 1867, now a merchant and postmaster at Lebanon village; Sarah M., born Feb. 19, 1849, married Albert Morgan in 1866; Arthur W., born Oct. 2, 1854, and Frank D., born May 27, 1857.
Jabin Armstrong, who married soon after coming here Clara Hartshorn, niece of David Hartshorn, came from Connecticut and settled just below David Hartshorn, between him and Smith's Valley.
Thomas Buell was from New Hampshire. He settled as early as 1800, on a large farm2 in the south-east part of the town. Buell died Oct. 1, 1820, aged 64, and Irene, his wife, March 17, 1839, aged 79.
Deacon Abraham Webster, brother of Dr. Noah Webster, the lexicographer, came as early as 18o2, probably from Hartford, Conn., and settled about the center of the north-west quarter, where Reuben H. Geer now lives. There he raised his family and there his first wife died.
Rev. Matthias Cazier was born in Delaware, of French ancestry, Oct. 4, 1752. His grandparents fled from France to escape the penalties of the edict of Nantes and settled on Staten Island. He served three years in the American army during the Revolution, and at its close finished his studies at Princeton, where he was graduated and received a license to preach. After a year spent in the South for the benefit of his health he became the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Crane's Corners, (Newark,) N. J., where May 29, 1789, he married Lydia Crane, with whom, in 1790, he removed to Castleton, Vt., becoming the first settled pastor in that town, in consideration of which fact he received a State grant for 160 acres of land. In 1800 he removed his family to Salem, Conn., and in company with a friend explored Central New York with a view to settlement. In that year he purchased 800 acres in Lebanon. In 1802 he removed his family from Salem to Hamilton, and in 1804 to their new home in Lebanon, locating his habitation on lot 22, in the north-west part of the town, where Otis Dunham now lives, where lie died in June, 1837.
Daniel Clark came from Colchester, Conn., in 1803, and settled in the south-east part of the town, where he died Feb. 18, 1853, aged 85, and Hannah, his wife, March 7, 1853, aged 78.
Orsamus Gilbert and Francis Whitmore joined the settlements in 1805. Gilbert came from Becket, Mass., in January, with a three-horse team, and settled in Lebanon village, in the house now occupied by his daughter Annas, widow of William Tompkins, which he built in the winter of 1805. It is the oldest house standing in the town. It has since received two additions. He left his family at Madison while he came and built a log-house, bringing them in the following spring. He was a cloth dresser by trade and established there a carding machine. He died here March 9, 1843, aged 72. He married in Massachusetts Annas Blair, who died August 9, 1853, aged 82.
Francis Whitmore was a native of Connecticut, whence he removed to Wilbraham, Mass., where, in 1802, he married Sally Stebbins, with whom, in 1805, he removed to Lebanon Hill in the south part of the town, about two miles west of Earlville, where the Hutchins family now lives. In 1817 he removed to the place now occupied by Justus Swift, where he died in 1841.
Ephraim Gray, a native of New Lebanon, Columbia county, removed thence in 1807, and settled on 86 acres, a half mile east of Lebanon village, which are now owned by his son, Cooley C. Gray, where he resided till his death, Feb. 21, 1851, aged 71.
Benjamin Hewes came in about 1807 or '8, and settled on lot 59, in the west part of the town, where Martin Day now lives, and resided there till his death.
Other early settlers were Thomas Hueston, Daniel Stowell, Deacon Asa Tenney, Captain Roderick Moore, Philip Kibbie, Captain Truman and Jabez Billings, John Sheldon, Giles Collins, and Richard Taylor.
Thomas Hueston, who married Susan, daughter of Archibald Campbell, came in with the Campbells and settled in the same locality, in the west border of the Campbell Settlement. He afterwards removed to the farm on lot 57 now occupied by Sidney T. Campbell and subsequently to Michigan in 1831. Daniel Stowell was a brother to Enoch Stowell. He came in at a later day, and settled in the east part of the town, where John Harmon now lives, but removed from the town at an early day. Deacon Tenney also settled the east part of the town, but lived there only a short time. Captain Moore settled on the farm on lot 24, now owned by William Geer, and afterwards removed to lot 41, in the west part of the town, where John Fisk, Jr., now lives. He either died there or removed from the town at an early day. Philip Kibbie kept the first tavern in the town, on the river road between Earlville and Smith's Valley. The Billings, Sheldon and Collins, located south of the center of the town on what is known as Collins' Hill. Henry Taylor was a highly respected colored man from Lebanon, Conn., who located on a farm on lot 18, on which he was succeeded by his son, Henry D. Taylor. He planted on that farm the first nursery in this section of country, and from it the stock was furnished for the old orchards in this and adjoining towns.
Curtis Hoppin, though less early, was a prominent settler. He was a native of Guilford, Conn., and came here in 1810 from Berkshire county, Mass. He came in the spring and on foot, and settled on lot 18, in the north-west part of the town, on the farm now owned by Lucius Hopkins, and occupied by Peter Nevin. Later in the season he brought in his family. About 1831 or '32 he bought out Joel Bradley, on lot 4, on the north line of the town, where John Bennett now lives, and died there Nov. 8, 1868, aged 83. With Bradley he became the proprietor of a saw-mill property, which was the first saw-mill built in the west part of the town. It was built about 1808, by ----- Hoyt, from Utica, and afterwards passed into the hands of Eason Northrop, from whom Bradley purchased it. There is no mill on the site now. He was also interested with Amos Pettis in a woolen-mill a little below Eaton village, which was burned in 1844.
TOWN OFFICERS.---The first town meeting was held in the red school-house in this town, and the following named officers were elected: John W. Bulkley, Supervisor; Silas Seymour, Clerk; Giles Collins, Josiah Lasel and Jacob Kennedy, Assessors; Malatiah Hatch and Roderick Moore, Overseers of the Poor; Jacob Kennedy, Daniel Clark and Roderick Moore, Commissioners of Highways; David Hartshorn and Joseph Hitchcock, Constables; Joseph Hitchcock, Collector; George Morey, Walter Baker, Clark "Willcocks," Stephen James, Orsamus Gilbert, Samuel Lewis, Abraham Webster, Jacob Hartshorn, Justus B. Smith, Ezra Gates, John W. Bulkley, Elisha Wheeler, Darius Sperry, Sheldon Smith, Gardner Salsbury, Moses Pomeroy, William Taggart, James Dorrance, Roderick Moore, Archibald Campbell, David B. Hitchcock, Aaron Davies, Giles Collins and William Sloan, Overseers of Highways and Fence Viewers; Charles S. Campbell, Pound Keeper.
At a special town meeting held at the red school-house Nov. 23, 1807, it was "voted that we agree to be centered," and " that the center be as near the center of the town as the ground will admit." John W. Bulkley, Constant Merrick, Jacob Kennedy, Moses Wylie and Roderick Moore were appointed a committee to select the spot. Their action was ratified at a special meeting held at the house of Oliver Mead, Dec. 7, 1807, and Constant Merrick, John Niles, Malatiah Hatch, William Austin and Moses Wylie were appointed a committee to " draw up" subscriptions for the purpose of building a town house 40 by 50 feet, two stories, and to wait on Captain Aylmer Johnson to obtain the land. But for some reason the town house was not built, and the meetings were held, with but few exceptions, at the red school-house till 1820. From that time till 1834 they were held continuously at the Baptist meeting-house, "near Zor Benedict's."
March 1, 1808, a fine of twenty shillings was imposed on the occupants of farms for allowing Canada thistles to grow on the same or highway adjoining, after six days' notice, one-half to go to the informant and one-half to be applied to the destruction of those weeds. March 5, 1811, a bounty of $13 was voted for killing wolves.
The first Commissioners of Schools, elected at the annual meeting of March 2, 1813, were Constant Merrick, Amos Crocker, Moses Wylie; and School Inspectors, James Campbell, Curtis Hoppin and Francis Whitmore.
The following is a statement of the votes cast in Lebanon, April 30, 1807:---
|"||Daniel D. Tompkins,||"||"||33|
|"||Thomas Storm,||"||Lieut. Governor||153|
|"||John W. Bulkley,||"||Assembly||182|
The following list of the officers of the town of Lebanon for the year 1880-81 was kindly furnished us by Edward G. Gilbert:---
Supervisor---Sidney D. Smith.
Town Clerk---Edward G. Gilbert.
Justices---Henry Seymour, Amos F. Campbell, Ephraim Fisk.
Assessors---Truman Baker, Herman Snell, Henry Taylor.
Commissioner of Highways---Asa Hartshorn.
Overseers of the Poor---Sidney T. Campbell, Samuel Wood.
Constables---Isaiah S. Head, Burton Brown, C. Dewitt Rice, Clark D. Willcox.
Collector---Frank W. Armstrong.
Inspectors of Election---District No. 1---Edwin M. Lamb, Jarvis A. Head, Frank E. Wynn; District No. 2---Morris N. Campbell, Sanford Baker, Francis C. Sherman.
Game Constable---Alburtus I. Guthrie.
Excise Commissioners---John Fisk, Jacob Bowen, R. Perlee Fisk.
The following have been the Supervisors and Clerks from the organization of the town to the present time:---
|1807-9.||John W. Bulkley.||Silas Seymour.|
|1822-4.||Daniel Clark.||Josiah Owen.|
|1837.||Erastus B. Burroughs.||do.|
The progenitors of the Fisk family in the town of Lebanon, Madison Co., N. Y., were John and Betsy (Wright) Fisk. The former was born in Otsego Co., about 1768 and the latter in the town of Holden, Otsego Co., the same year. They came into the town of Eaton and settled near where Pecksport is now situated, in 1802. They moved into the town of Lebanon and settled where John Fisk, a grandson, is now residing and carried on farming. They had eight children, as follows: John, Betsy, Sally, Harvey, Polly, Wright, Mahaley and Alta, only two of whom are now living, Sally and Polly, the former living near West Eaton and the latter in Sangerfield, Oneida Co., N. Y. John and Betsy (Wright) Fisk were poor but hard working people. They were pioneers in this County and the hardships and privations incident to an early settlement in the wilderness were severely felt by them. They died at great ages, the former in 1852 and the latter in 1851.
John, the first child of John and Betsy (Wright) Fisk, was born August 16th, 1796, in Otsego Co. He worked on the farm at home for his parents until he was married, in 1816. He then went to farming for himself. The farm he purchased was covered by a dense forest and several years were spent in clearing it up. He worked for others several years, clearing land by the acre. He carried on farming all his life and acquired a large property. He was an extensive bee keeper, having as many as 150 colonies at times and realizing, several seasons, as high as one thousand dollars from his honey and bees, and keeping his stock unimpaired. He carried on the dairying business very largely, having at times as many as one hundred cows. For several years he was one of the most extensive butter and cheese makers in Madison Co.
Mr. Fisk was one of old Madison's solid men; he was successful because he was faithful and enterprising and endowed with an energy and will that removed all obstacles to success. His advantages for an education were poor, a few terms at the district school, being all that he ever enjoyed. As a mental mathematician he was a wonder, being able to work in his mind the most difficult problems in interest and such others as he encountered in his business affairs.
He was never an office seeker and took no interest in polities. He was a Democrat. In religious sentiment, he was a Universalist but never a member of any church. He contributed liberally of his means in support of the Society in his town. He was kind to the poor and needy and ever ready to lend a helping hand, when he believed the object was a worthy one; of that he had to be satisfied. He was a kind husband and indulgent father and his children were taught the value of industry and economy. When his parents became old and needed care and support, and that tender regard that every parent has a right to expect from their children, his duty was faithfully and affectionately performed. He supported them and carefully looked after all their wants. For all the noble qualities that characterize the truly useful citizen, good friend and kind neighbor, Mr. Fisk was beloved, and when death claimed him, the town of Lebanon was called on to mourn the loss of one of its best citizens. He died March 21st, 1866.
Oct. 16th, 1816, John Fisk married Milley, daughter of Gaylord and Milley (Loveland) Stevens, of Lebanon, natives of Conn. (They had seventeen children.) She was born Jan. 5th, 1795 and died Nov. 16th, 1864. John and Milley Fisk had eight children as follows; Albert, born Aug. 28th, 1817, died in Wisconsin in 1850, Phebe, born Nov. 28th, 1819, married Alonzo Sabins. Sept. 15th, 1837, Olive, born June 26th, 1821, married Nelson Slocum, Harriet, born Feb. 12th, 1824, married Elisha Steadman, Ann, born June 25th, 1826, married Oscar Stewart, Ephraim, born Feb. 10th, 1827, married Nancy R. Campbell of Lebanon, Sept. 11th, 1851. She died May 17th, 1875. He then married Miss Rettie Barber, of Otselic, Chenango Co., Nov. 15th, 1876, Lumen, born July 16th, 1829, married Angeline Close, of Smyrna, Chenango Co., and John, born Dec. 6th, 1840, married Nettie Morrow, of Augusta, Oneida Co.
Ephraim lived at home, working on the farm until he was married, and then until his father died, aiding him in the management of his extensive business. He is one of the most extensive farmers in the county, and carries on a large business. In politics he is a Democrat, but in town matters, votes for the best man. Has been Assessor, Supervisor four years and at present is Justice of the Peace. Lumen is a prominent man in the town and has been a farmer, now out of business and residing at Lebanon village. John is residing on the old homestead and operates the farm of about 300 acres. He has held several offices of trust and responsibility and at present is Excise Commissioner. He is a member of the Congregationalist church at Lebanon.
|1838.||Curtis Hoppin.||William Robinson.|
|1839-40.||do.||Stephen S. Sabin.|
|1847.||Joseph A. Norton.||Jason Owen.|
|1849.||do.||Edwin M. Lamb.|
|1850.||Joseph A. Norton.||do.|
|1851-2.||David Clark.||Alex. Y. Whitmore.|
|1854-5.||do.||Oliver A. Benedict.|
|1857-8.||do.||Edwin S. Benedict.|
|1860-1.||John C. Head.||do.|
|1862-5.||E. M. Lamb.||do.|
|1866-7.||Geo. W. Baker.||Chas. W. Brasse.|
|1870.||Albert O. Pierce.||Edwin L. Lewis.|
|1871.||Edwin M. Lamb.||John B. Gilbert.|
|1874.||do.||J. Mott Throop.|
|1875.||do.||Edward G. Gilbert.|
|1878.||John S. Ross.||George Holman.|
|1879.||Sidney D. Smith.||John B. Gilbert.|
Lebanon, locally known as "Toad Hollow," is situated about a mile west of the center of the town, and is a station on the Syracuse and Chenango Valley Railroad. It contains a Congregational church, a district school, one hotel, two stores, a saw-mill, tannery, creamery, (owned by Henry Seymour,) a black-smith shop, (Cornelius Downey,) a carriage shop, (B. N. Gustin,) a shoe shop, (George Holman,) a carpenter shop, (Edwin M. Lamb,) and a population of 162.
MERCHANTS.---The first person who sold goods in the town was Justus B. Smith, who kept a small stock in the basement of his house, on the farm now owned and occupied by Whipple Clark, the house in which he lived being now used as an out-building. He traded there several years in a small way and was succeeded in that locality by James Dorrance, who continued but a short time.
The first regular merchant who traded in a store built for the purpose was Jonathan Thayer, Jr., whose father, Captain Jonathan, came here from Butternuts about 1800, and settled on lot 61, about two miles west of Lebanon, where young Thayer commenced trading about 1808. He soon after moved into the village and built and traded in the store which now forms the rear part of Pike & Seymour's store, having been removed from its original location---the site of Gilbert's store---by his son Sylvester, when the latter store was built by him in 1834. Jonathan traded there till his death, May 20, 1830, at the age of 47. The elder Thayer, who was a Revolutionary soldier, and his wife, Martha, died on the farm they settled, the former Feb. 24, 1827, aged 74, and the latter Feb. 12, 1827, aged 68.
Orson and William L. Sheldon continued business a year or two in the Gilbert store, when William, who was also a cattle and wool dealer, withdrew, Orson continuing alone a year or two, when he sold to Curtis Hoppin, whose son-in-law, Joseph A. Norton, carried on the business from about 1844 or '45 till 1853, when Edwin M. Lamb became associated with Hop-pin, whose interest was purchased by Joseph D. Avery in 1859. Mr. Lamb withdrew in the spring of 1864, Avery continuing in trade till April, 1865, when the goods were sold at auction.
Horace A. Campbell, son of the pioneer, Charles Campbell, built the upright part of the hotel in the village about 1833 or '34 for a store, and traded there two or three years, when he converted it into a tavern, which he kept till about 1853. He removed soon after to Earlville, where he died Nov. 14, 1879. Henry A. Leet, while he kept the tavern also sold goods there, continuing till his death, March 23, 1861, since which time it has not been occupied as a store.
Benjamin Baker, who came here from Washington county about 1863 or '64, and was variously employed till about the latter part of 1865, commenced trading in the Gilbert store at the latter date, and continued some two years. Erastus Wellington, nephew of David Wellington, an early settler in Nelson, traded in the Gilbert store from the latter part of 1866 till 1869, when he was succeeded by Milton E. Danforth, who soon after associated with himself Isaiah S. Head, who continued under the name of Head & Danforth till July, 1870, in the spring of which year they built the store now occupied by Pike & Seymour, and failed just as that building was ready for occupancy.
The present merchants are Fisk & Gilbert, (Ephraim Fisk and John B. Gilbert,) both natives of the town, who commenced business in April, 187o; and Pike & Seymour, (LeRoy B. Pike and Silas W. Seymour,) the former of whom established the business Nov. 1, 871, in company with Abraham Martin, and continued it under the name of Pike & Martin till Feb. 15, 1872, when Martin withdrew. March 18, 1873, Silas W. Seymour became associated with Mr. Pike and the business has since been conducted tinder the name of Pike & Seymour. Mr. Pike came from Pekin, Niagara county, Mr. Seymour is a native of Lebanon, son of Alfred Seymour.
PHYSICIANS.---The first physician was Joseph Stowell, from Stowell, Mass., where he taught school as late as 1799, in which year Achsah, widow of John Blair, now living in Lebanon village, was his pupil there. He removed soon after, about 1800, and settled on the south-east corner lot of the town, No. 91, near Earlville, where Homer Hall now lives, and there lived and practiced till his death, about 1831 or '32. His son Kittridge succeeded him on the homestead and also died there.
Constant Merrick came from Lanesboro, Mass., as early as 1803, possibly in 1802, and settled on Billing's Hill, about two miles south-east of Lebanon. About 1806, he removed to Lebanon village, to the house which stood on the site of Edward Gilbert's residence, where he lived and practiced till his death, July 29, 1828, aged 56.
John Clarke came from Windham, Conn., in 1806, and settled lot 45, a little north-west of the center, on the farm now owned by Henry Seymour, where he resided till his death, about 1840, at the age of 95 years, having discontinued practice many years previously.
Erastus B. Burroughs came from Greene, N. Y., where his parents resided, in the fall of 1827, having just completed his studies at Fairfield Medical College. He settled in the village and immediately gathered about him a class of students, whom he located in contiguous places for the purpose of drawing patronage by way of consultations. Among these students were Albert G. Purdy, who came from Chenango county in 1828, located first in Eaton, whence, after several years' successful practice, having served during the time in the Assembly, he removed to Oneida, where he was again elected to the Assembly, and died there; Milton Burnett, a native of Georgetown, who located at Morrisville, where he practiced many years, removing eventually to Oneida, where he died, having, while practicing in Morrisville, been elected Sheriff; Frederick Bradley, a native of Georgetown, who located in Westfield, Chautauqua county, and died there; ____ Dunham, from Chenango county, and Ralph Shepard, a native of Georgetown, both of whom located in Michigan; and James Stewart, from Georgetown, who located in Lincklaen, and subsequently removed to Illinois.
Dr. Burrough's health failed about 1841, and he went to Key West, Florida, returning in June, 1842. His health continuing to fail, in February, 1843, he returned to the home of his parents in Greene, where he died June 26, 1843, aged 41.
Lyman O. Horton came here from Hamilton, his native place, in 1843, and located in the village, where he practiced till about 1854, when he removed to Lincoln county, Ill. John Baker and Cyrus his brother, homeopathists, were contemporary with Orton, and practiced in company from about 1848 to 1853. They removed to the western part of the State. Frank D. Beebe, now in Hamilton, practiced here from 1855 to 1862. Elam Root, from East Hamilton, took Beebe's place, and after three or four years' practice removed to Union, Broome county, where he is now practicing.
The present physician is James Mott Throop, who was born in Hamilton, July 4, 1838, graduated at the University of New York in 1862, and came here immediately from the army, Dec. 7, 1866.
POSTMASTERS.---The first postmaster at Lebanon was Jonathan Thayer, who was appointed about 1814 or '15 and held the office till his death, May 20, 1830. He was succeeded by his son Sylvester, who held it till 1833, when Orrin Thayer, second son of Jonathan, was appointed. He was succeeded by Horace A. Campbell about 1836. Orrin Gilbert next held it a short time, when William L. Sheldon was appointed and held it till near his death in 1847. H. A. Campbell succeeded Sheldon, and was followed Oct. 4, 1853, by Edwin M. Lamb, who was succeeded by Reuben S. Hall about 1857 or '58. Joseph D. Avery next held it from 1861 to 1865, when Milton E. Danforth was appointed and held it till about 1870, when Charles W. Brasse received the appointment and was succeeded in 1873 by John D. Gilbert, who held it till May 17, 1876, when Silas W. Seymour, the present incumbent was appointed.
MANUFACTURES.---The saw-mill at Lebanon is owned by L. D. Pope and E. M. Washburn, who purchased the property in July, 1878, of S. K. Hawkins, who operated it about three years and rebuilt it during the first year of his occupancy. It contains one muley saw, which is propelled by water from the small stream running through the village.
The first tannery in Lebanon village was established just north of the school house by Thomas Bright, in 1838, and operated by him till 1841. The tannery then passed into the hands of Alanson Bishop, who sold it after three years to Sylvester Thompson, who afterwards associated with himself Lyman D. Swan. They changed the site to the present location in 1854 and continued the business till about 1862 or '63. It passed successively at short intervals into the hands of Jarvis A. Head and Lester Hayward, the former associated with John C. Head, Solomon Baker, James Deyo and Sullivan E. Sabin, Samuel C. Gates, Roswell Whitman, who repaired it and sold it in March, 1875, to the present proprietor, Anton Pfeiffer, who was associated with his son Joseph from 1875 till his death Feb. 27, 1878. It contains sixteen vats, and tans 1,000 hides and 6,000 to 7,000 calfskins per annum.
The hotel at Lebanon village---the main part---was built for a store in 1833 or '4, by Horace A. Campbell. The south-east portion was built in 1829, by Dr. Burroughs, for an office, for which purpose he used it till about 1833 or '4, when he sold it to Mr. Campbell, who then built the main part as an addition, and subsequently converted it into a tavern. It has been kept by Lewis Tallett since March, 1879. With the exception of the hotel at Middleport, east of Smith's Valley, which was once the seat of considerable business enterprise, kept by Jacob Carpenter, whose father once owned a steam-mill in that locality, it is the only hotel in the town.
CHURCHES.---The Congregational Church of Lebanon was organized Oct. 2, 1802, as the Third Congregational Church of Christ in the town of Hamilton. Pursuant to request, Rev. Ezra Woodworth, pastor of the First Congregational Church in Hamilton, "attended in the 5th township in Hamilton, Oct. 1, 1802, for the purpose of forming a church" therein, and the following day Abraham Webster, Lent Bradley, John C. Wagoner, Elihu Bosworth, Isaac Campbell, Dolly Webster, Rachel Galloway, Caty Bosworth, Joanna Wagoner, Elizabeth Campbell, Sarah Wagoner, Sophia Webster, Eunice Webster, Elizabeth Huston and Solomon Jones, some of whom had not previously entered into church fellowship, met, adopted a confession of faith and Church covenant, and were constituted a church by Rev. Ezra Woodworth.
The records of the church previous to 1817 are very meager and concerned mostly with the admission of members. The first baptism recorded took place July 30, 1804, when Thomas Wilkins was received on letter, Freelove, his wife, on experience and baptism.
It does not appear from the records that they had a settled pastor before 1825, July 26th of which year they voted to invite Preston Cummings to become the pastor. He accepted and was ordained Aug. 23, 1825, by a delegation of ministers from the Union Association. Feb. 20, 1827, Mr. Cummings requested to be dismissed from the pastoral care of the church and was formally dismissed by the Association a few days later.
September 2, 1831, they resolved to request the Chenango Presbytery to ordain Rev. S. Scott at their next meeting. How long he served as pastor the records do not show. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Willis, but whether as pastor is not apparent. The interval between 1827 and 1831 was partially, if not wholly supplied by Revs. Ezekiel I. Chapman, Nathaniel Latham, P. Field, S. Scott and Samuel Manning. March 4, 1835, Rev. Jeremiah Pomeroy was invited to visit the church with a view to settlement. He did not, however, assume the pastoral relation. Rev. William B. Tompkins, who had served them in the interval, was called to the pastorate May 21, 1836, and installed June 14, 1836. His labors were terminated in October, 1839.
During his pastorate, in 1836-'9, the church, which was built in 1825 a mile north of the center, was removed to the village, and completed for occupancy in the fall of 1839. In March, 1838, the church resolved to solicit funds from abroad for this object and to exchange their parsonage, as the funds they had been able to raise on subscription were not sufficient for the purpose. Previous to 1825 they worshiped in school houses.
In July, 1840, they voted to invite the Congregational church of Georgetown to unite with them in calling Rev. G. W. Finney to the joint pastorate of the two churches the ensuing year, which they accordingly did and secured his services. He was succeeded by Revs. Redfield and Copeland, the latter of whom closed his labors Oct. 2, 1845. September 23, 1845, the church withdrew from the Oneida Association. Rev. Wyn Root officiated in 1846, but whether as pastor does not appear. Rev. G. M. Smith was the pastor as early as July 7, 1848, and was voted a letter of dismission Aug. 10, 1851.
February 11, 1854, a call was extended to T. A. Wadsworth, who was ordained Feb. 21, 1854. His pastorate was dissolved March 26, 1855. Sept. 13, 1857, Rev. C. Barstow was called to the pastorate. He closed his labors April 13, 1862, at which time he preached his farewell sermon. W. W. Warner commenced his labors as pastor June 1, 1862, and was dismissed by letter April 2, 1864. Rev. Abisha Scofield united with the church April 3, 1864, and was dismissed by letter Oct. 29, 1865, but whether he was pastor or not the records do not show. Rev. Ovid Miner was the pastor Aug. 30, t873, and Rev. E. D. Reed, apparently, a year earlier, but who, if any one, filled the intervening period does not appear.
May 23, 1875, it was voted to call Rev. J. D. Woodruff, who was installed July 7, 1875. April 23, 1876, being unable to raise his salary of $650, it was resolved to release him from his engagement at the end of the year. Rev. Ward Batchelor was the pastor as early as April 27, 1878; and Seward M. Dodge, a graduate of Hamilton College in 1872, and Auburn Theological Seminary in 1878, was ordained pastor Nov. 19, 1878, and still sustains that relation. Sept. 1, 1878, the church reported a membership of 55, 22 males and 33 females.
South Lebanon, situated a mile anti a half south of I.ebanon, contains a church, which was built some fifty years ago by the Methodists, but not now occupied, a district school, one store, a steam saw-mill, a wagon shop, (Samuel Benedict,) a blacksmith shop, (Stephen J. Wedge,) and a population of about fifty. There was never a post-office here.
The first merchant at this place was W. H. Williamson; a native of Lebanon, who came here from Hamilton about 1871 and sold in 1876 to I.ewis H. Wedge, the present merchant, who is also a native of Lebanon. There have been no other merchants here.
The saw mill, owned by Sidney Bills & Son, was built---the main part---about 1860, by Sidney Bills, for a carriage shop, and was used for that purpose till May, 1871, when it was converted to its present use. The addition containing the feed run was built by Mr. Bills about 1858, for a cider mill, and was removed to its present location when the main building was erected. Mr. Bills' son, Charles S., became associated with him in 1871. The motive power is supplied by a twenty-horse-power engine.
Smith's Valley, (Randallsville P. O.,) is situated in the east border of the town, a little north of the center. It is a station on the New York, Ontario & Western railroad, and the southern terminus of the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton railroad. Once the seat of many of Lebanon's important enterprises, it early lapsed into a state of rural repose, to be aroused from its lethargy of more than a Rip Van Winkle period by the introduction of railroads. It was the locality of the earliest mercantile operations in the town; but the first merchant under the present regime was J. Dayton F. Smith, who commenced business in 1870, was associated with his son, Adon N. Smith, from 1873, and sold about 1874 to Charles E. Montgomery, who, after trading a little over a year and a half, sold in 1876 to Sidney Dayton Smith, the present merchant. The first postmaster since the revival was Peter L. Beers, who was appointed about a year before the Midland railroad was built. He was succeeded by Henry T. Robinson, J. Dayton F. Smith, C. Montgomery and Sidney Dayton Smith, the present incumbent, who was appointed Jan. 1, 1877. The post-office is named in honor of Postmaster-General Randall. E. C. Bixby has kept a grocery here since 1877. There is a cheese factory located here, which was built in 1863 or '4. It is owned by a stock company composed of M. N. Campbell, A. L. Brown, W. C. Russell and D. B. Shapley. There is also a saw mill, owned by Mr. Simmons.
MANUFACTURES.---About one and one-fourth miles east of Lebanon is a grist and saw mill owned by Mr. Partridge, who has been in possession some two years. Both are operated by water. The grist mill was built at an early period, about 1810. About a mile south-west of Smith's Valley is a saw mill, planing mill and cheese box factory owned by Erastus Clark, who built it some fifteen years ago. It is situated on a tributary of the Chenango, which furnishes the water-power. In the north part of the town, on a stream which empties into the Chenango about a mile above Smith's Valley, is a saw mill owned by George Morse. About a mile and a half west- of Lebanon, on the west branch of the Chenango, are two saw mills in close proximity, one of which is owned by John Fisk and the other by Clinton Stowell. The latter is an old mill; connected with it is a cooper shop. In the same locality is a carding machine owned by Marvin Day. About a mile above South Lebanon is a small saw mill owned by the widow of Jonathan Green, who operated it till his death, in 1878; and about a mile below South Lebanon, on the same stream, is a saw mill owned by Marvin Torrey, by whom it was built about 1867.
About one and one-fourth miles north-east of Lebanon is a Baptist church and about a mile east of that village is a tumble-down Universalist church which has not been used for years.
The Baptist Church of Lebanon.---Early in the century, Elder Hosmer, of Hamilton, and others preached occasionally in various parts of the town, and under their labors a revival was experienced in 1808 which continued till 1811. Thomas Jeril, then residing in Georgetown, was a convert of this period, and subsequently removing to the central part of Lebanon, he prepared one room in his dwelling as a place of worship. There and at the house of Zor Benedict he preached and gathered a band, which, to the number of twenty-seven, were recognized as a church by a council convened at the barn of Z. Benedict, June 26, 1816, at which time Mr. Jeril was ordained its pastor.
Nov. 19, 1819, an agreement was entered into to build a church edifice 24 by 36 feet. It was erected about a hundred rods south of the present church, which was completed in 1835 and dedicated in February of that year.
The first allusion to a pastor's salary is recorded Sept. 15, 1821, when a committee was raised to circulate and collect a subscription for that purpose. No amount is stated. Two years later the stipulated salary of Elder Jeril was $40 in labor, $30 in grain and $5 in cash. Two years later still, the pastor stated to the church that he "thought he ought to have fifty dollars per year for his services." No further record in reference to salary is found till Nov. 5, 1835, when it was resolved to allow the pastor a salary of $100.
In November, 1831, a number were dismissed to unite with a conference in Georgetown.
Growing infirmities compelled Elder Jeril to resign the pastorate and he closed his labors with the church April 1, 1836, after a twenty years' pastorate. Elder A. Wheelock was employed as a temporary supply. The second pastor was Elder Washington Kingsley, who began his labors Jan. 29, 1837, and closed them in "1840." The third pastorate, Elder Benjamin Putnam's, commenced Sept. 22, 1830, and continued two years; the fourth, Elder E. D. Reed's, began Oct. 10, 1841, and continued four and one-half years. Linus M. Peck served them as supply one year succeeding Mr. Reed's departure. The fifth pastorate, Elder Daniel Hascall's, commenced Nov. 13, 1847, and continued three years; the sixth, Elder Bela Palmer's, commenced March 15, 1851, and continued thirteen years. James Parker, from Madison University, succeeded as a supply and was ordained Sept. 22, 1864. He served them one year; likewise H. H. Bawden, in the same manner. H. Jones succeeded as a supply, serving about a year. In September, 1867, E. D. Reed was recalled and continued his labors with them till 1873. Succeeding his departure the pulpit was supplied by A. W. Cady, from Madison University. Rev. C. V. Patterson, of Hamilton, became the pastor in July, 1876, and closed his labors April 1, 1877. He was succeeded by George B. Simons, of Hamilton Theological Seminary, who was ordained in September, 1877, and closed his labors with them in 1879.
The church has licensed many to preach, and ordained five. The whole number who have been baptized is 407. June 11, 1879, the church reported a membership of 81. The Sunday School, which was organized in 1836, numbered nine officers and teachers and seventy scholars. The estimated value of church property was $2,000.
WAR OF THE REBELLION.---The first recorded action taken by Lebanon with reference to filling its quotas during the late war was Aug. 17, 1863, when, at a special town meeting, it was decided by a vote of 158 to 94, not to levy a tax to raise the commutation fee of persons who might be made liable to military service by the impending draft.
A special town meeting was held at the store of Avery & Lamb, Oct. 19, 1863, for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of granting relief to the indigent families of volunteers who have entered the service of the United States from this town, agreeable to an Act passed May 17, 1863, and it was resolved that the Justices be a committee to ascertain the wants of such families and render such assistance as they should deem necessary.
At a special meeting held at the house of S. E. Sabin, Aug. 19, 1864, the following action was taken by a vote of 51 to 1:---
"WHEREAS, In view of a possibility of a failure of our county recruiting commissioners sent to Georgia to procure recruits to fill the quota of this county, and in view of the fact that some of the towns of the county have already voted to pay town bounties in addition to the county bounty authorized by the Board of Supervisors; and,
"WHEREAS, Under the above circumstances, if the towns of Lebanon are obliged [to raise] a part or all of their men to fill the quota under the President's last call they will necessarily be brought in direct competition with those towns that are paying town bounties; therefore,
"Resolved, That we raise $12,000 on the credit of the town of Lebanon to be used for procuring volunteers or substitutes to be credited to said town to fill its quota under the President's call of July 18, 1864, for 500,000 men, said money to be procured, or such part thereof as may be necessary to be used for the above purpose, by issuing orders pledging the credit of the town, signed by the Supervisor and Town Clerk, payable on or before the first day of September, 1865."
The War Loan Committee was charged with the duty of procuring the volunteers or substitutes to fill that quota, and authorized to pay such sums as bounties as they deemed necessary.
At a special meeting held at the same place Jan. 7, 1865, by a vote of 96 to 1 it was
"Resolved, That we raise $20,000 on the credit of the town of Lebanon, or such part of said sum as may be necessary, to be used for procuring volunteers or substitutes, to be credited to said town to fill its quota under the President's call of Dec. 20, 1864, for 300,000 men; the above sum or such part thereof as may be necessary shall be raised by issuing orders, pledging the credit of the town, signed by the Super-visor and Town Clerk, payable one-half on or before the first day of February, 1866, and the balance on or before the first day of February, 1867, with annual interest at seven per cent; said money or such part thereof as is necessary to be used shall be raised on said orders, and the men procured by the present War Loan Committee of the town, the money to be paid at the discretion of said committee."
The following is the report of E. M. Lamb, Chairman of the War Loan Committee, dated February 28, 1865:---
|Bounty paid in August and September, 1864, to 24 men||$11,700 00|
|Exchange on $2,400 sent to Georgia||12 00|
|Bounty paid to 20 volunteers in January, 1865||12,730 00|
|Exchange paid on bounty money||23 00|
|Discount and revenue stamps paid||8 06|
|For which amount town orders were paid out||$24,473 06|
March 7, 1865, a bounty of $300 each was voted to Orange C. Thompson and Curtis Kingsley.
Lebanon furnished during the war 154 men, about one-tenth of its entire population. With the exception of 29 not indicated they were distributed in the various branches of the service as follows: 5 in the 26th, 3 in the 44th, 8 in the 61st, 27 in the 114th, 22 in the 157th, 4 in the 176th, and 14 in the 184th New York, and 14 in the 16th United States infantry regiments; 2 in the 1st, (light) 2 each in the 2d and 3d, 1 in the 4th, 5 in the 9th, 1 each in the 11th and 14th, and 2 in the 21st veteran heavy artillery regiments; 2 in Bates' Battery, 1 in the Oneida Independent Company of Cavalry; 2 in the 21st, 3 in the 22d, 1 in the 24th New York cavalry regiments, and 3 in Scott's Nine Hundred (cavalry).
The subject of this sketch was born Feb. 24, 1791, in the town of Franklin, New London county, Conn. He was a son of Amos and Mary (Smith) Armstrong, natives of Connecticut. The former died June 25, 1828, and the latter July 22, 1827. They had eight children, six sons and two daughters, and our subject was the last of the family at his death, all the others having been called home before him.
Jabin attended the common schools of his native town, and these facilities were the only ones he ever enjoyed for obtaining an education. He spent the time until he was seventeen years old on his father's farm, but about this time he met with an accident which partially disabled him, and unfitted him for farm work, and in consequence he was put to learn the wagon-maker's trade, at which he spent two years. In November, 1810, he came to Lebanon on a visit and was advised by his friends to make a start for himself here, and so he did, and here the remainder of his life was passed. He worked at his trade and met with flattering success during his active business life. He also worked a farm for about four years.
In 1813, March 14, he was united in marriage with Clarissa Emeline, the eldest of a family of eight children of Oliver and Hannah (Pettingall) Hartshorn natives, the former of Connecticut and the latter of Massachusetts. Clarissa was born in the town of Lisbon the 29th of June, 1788. She came to Lebanon in 1812, in company with a number of her friends and acquaintances, among whom was her future husband who had been on a visit to his native State. Her father died in his native town in 18i5, and her mother came to Lebanon the following year with all her children, and settled in the vicinity of Smith's Valley. The names of these children were as follows: Royal, Oliver, Ira, Clarissa, Miranda, Sophronia and Eliza, all of whom are now dead except Miranda, still living in Smith's Valley. After the death of Oliver Hartshorn his farm was apportioned to his children, and the lot that fell to Clarissa is now occupied by the great Sprague Cotton Mill, one of the largest in the world.
Clarissa Emeline Armstrong was a woman of splendid, and in many respects, remarkable characteristics. Her executive ability was of a high order and her management of her home affairs was simply perfect. She was intelligent and gifted, and was one of that type of women, who, if favored with advantages equal to those enjoyed by many of the sterner sex, become the peers of the best of them. All who enjoyed the pleasure of her acquaintance know how perfectly she exemplified in every detail the traits of the refined lady and affectionate wife and mother. She died October 19, 1865.
Jabin Armstrong, as a mechanic, was widely known through this section, his wagons being sought for by all who wanted one for durability. He was highly respected by his townsmen and acquaintances everywhere, and was honored by appointment and election to several offices of trust, the duties of which were performed in a manner that reflected credit upon himself, and that was satisfactory to the people.
In politics he was formerly a Whig, and after the formation of the Republican party he united with that and was always known throughout the entire county as one of the most zealous supporters of its principles and measures. He was never an aspirant for public place, but had he been, he would have been entrusted with the best offices in the gift of the people of the county.
In religious sentiments he had no pronounced views and never united with any denomination, but attended the Congregational church at Hamilton. He was liberal of his means when the cause of religion appealed to him for assistance.
A marked characteristic in him was his kindness of heart and his desire to alleviate suffering in whatever form it appeared to him. He was benevolent to the poor and unfortunate, and the distressed and unhappy ever found in him a sympathizing friend.
The death of this good man was most sorrowful and distressing. On the 24th day of January, 1877, during a blinding snow storm, he started from Smith's Valley, where he had been visiting his wife's sisters, Miranda and Eliza, to return to his home, and while walking on the railroad track he was struck by a snow-plow. His injuries were so severe that he died from the effect of them six days after the accident, on the 30th of January, 1877.
To Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong were born four children, named in the order of their birth as follows: Clarissa Emeline, born April 18, 1814, married to James H. Maydole, Sept. 4, 1838, after his decease to Dan Storrs, and now residing at Eaton, N. Y.; Jabin Waldo, born Nov. 5, 1815, married Lucy Melinda Owen, of Lebanon, now residing on the old homestead; Hannah Frances, born Jan. 12, 1818, died June 12, 1844, and Martha, born Oct. 21, 1820, married Stephen Chaphe, of Cazenovia, N. Y. She died March 7, 1877.
One of the three oldest men now living in the town of Lebanon, and the subject of our sketch, was born in the town of Windham, Conn., Dec. 2, 1795, son of Calvin and Hannah (Hartshorn) Palmer, who were natives of Connecticut. The former was born Sept. 1, 1766, and died here in the town of Lebanon, Mad-
ison county, March 29, 1843, and the latter was born about the same time. She died Feb. 3, 1852, both died in the home of our subject. They were married Oct. 6, 1791, and had five children, viz: Lucy, born Dec. 6, 1792, and died Jan. 26, 1835; Henry, born Feb. 7, 1794, and died June 10, 1876; Ephraim, as above; David, born June 26, 1798, and died Nov. 16, 1867; Gurdon L., born May 2, 1801, died Nov. 9, 1877, and William, born March 31, 1808, now living in the city of Monmouth, Ill.
Ephraim's father was a miller by occupation, and for several years operated a mill that was situated on the site now occupied by the great Willimantic Thread Mill, said to be one of the largest in the world. Ephraim, as soon as he was able to work, was employed on a farm, attending district school winters. When he was about 19 years of age he learned the trade of cloth-dresser. He followed that business up to the time of and many years after his settlement in Log City, now Eaton, in 1824 The 10th of June of that year he married Sally, daughter of Benjamin and Bridget Palmer, natives of Connecticut. The former was born Feb. 21, 1767, and the latter Feb. 14, 1767. They removed to Otsego county, N. Y., in 1820, and there died, the father Feb. 10, 1855, and the latter Aug. 19, 1839. They had 12 children, and Sally is the only one of that number now living. She was born May 9, 1801, and is yet quite vigorous and active for one of her years, having her house affairs under her personal supervision, and managing and conducting the business of a dairy of forty cows.
Ephraim, when he left Connecticut, started with a team of two yoke of oxen, and brought the household goods of his parents in a sled, the journey being accomplished the entire distance to Otsego county, where they first settled, in 10 days. The trip was made in the winter and the Connecticut and Hudson rivers were crossed on the ice.
He followed his trade in Log City a number of years. About the year 1823, his brother Henry came to the town of Lebanon, and purchased 60 acres, where the old homestead is and in which this venerable couple arc now living, and where Henry lived until he died. The latter and Ephraim carried on this farm adding by purchase from time to time, until it contained 335 acres. In the fall of 1848 Henry C., the son of Ephraim, became interested in its management and after the death of Henry the elder, and the inability of Ephraim on account of his weight of years, the sole management devolved upon him.
Henry the brother was one of the most popular men in the town. He was a democrat and a zealous politician. After the formation of the Republican party he joined its ranks and was always until he died a warm advocate of its principles. He was honored by his townsmen with the best offices in their gift and was elected to the State Legislature in 1843. He was justice of the peace four years, superintendent of the poor three terms, assessor some years, and the duties of the offices to which he was elected were most faithfully and satisfactorily performed. He was the friend of peace and good order and was the chosen arbiter to settle difficulties between neighbors and contestants from far and near, such was the respect the people had for him, and the confidence reposed in his faith and good judgment. He never married. Ephraim was not fond of prominence and resisted all attempts to place himself in a position that would tend to make him conspicuous. He has the love and esteem of his townsmen however no less than his brother, but for reasons of a different character. Mr. and Mrs. Ephraim Palmer have one son, Henry C., who has been mentioned before. He was born May 29, 1825. He married Susan A., daughter of Silas Danforth, of West Eaton. Henry C. has five children, Henry D., Willie W., Cora, Ephraim C., and Walter.
The oldest, Henry D., is living with his uncle in Monmouth, Ill., associated with him in the management of a hotel there. Willie W. has charge of a store of general merchandise in West Eaton, assisted by his brother Ephraim C. Willie was elected town clerk at the spring election in 1880 and such was his popularity with the people that he was elected by a majority even larger than that given the most popular supervisor that the town ever had, Dr. Holmes.