Chapter XLI.

The Press of Madison County.

    For observation on the origin and growth of the Press the reader is referred to Chapter XIL.1

    The Madison Freeholder, which was established at Peterboro in 1808, was the first newspaper published in the county. John Peter Smith was the proprietor. It was edited by Jonathan Bunce, and published under the firm name of Jonathan Bunce & Co. It soon after appeared as The Freeholder, and in 1813, was again changed to The Madison County Herald, under which name it was continued several years.

    The Pilot was established at Cazenovia, in August, 1808, by Oran E. Baker, and continued till August, 1823.

    These two papers seem to have satisfied the demand for that class of literature until 1817, when two others were started, The Gazette and Madison County Advertiser and The Hamilton Recorder.

    The Gazette and Madison County Advertiser was established at Peterboro, in May, 1817, by John B. Johnson & Son. It was removed to Morrisville in 1819, and discontinued in 1822.

    The Hamilton Recorder was started in 1817, by John G. Stower and Dr. Peter B. Havens. In 1819, it passed into the hands of Stower & Williams, and afterwards into those of John P. Van Sice. In 1829, it was removed to Morrisville and united with The Madison Observer, which was established at Cazenovia, in January, 1821, by Rice & Hall, who removed it in 1822, to Morrisville. In 1824, Bennett Bicknell became the publisher; and in 1829, after its union with The Hamilton Recorder, it was issued as The Observer and Recorder. In 1832, it passed into the hands of H. C. Bicknell and James Norton, and in 1834 the latter became the sole proprietor. In 1835, it was changed to THE MADISON OBSERVER. In 1839, J. & E. Norton became its publishers, and in 1856 it passed into the hands of Edward Norton by whom it has since been published.2

    The Republican Monitor was started at Cazenovia in September, 1823, by L. L. Rice. It was published by John Fairchild from April, 1825, till January, 1832; by J. F. Fairchild & Son, till July, 1840; and by J. F. Fairchild till March 4, 1841, when it was discontinued.

    The Madison Farmer was published at Hamilton, in 1828, by Nathaniel King.

    The Vidette was published at Canastota in 1829.

    The Civilian was started at Hamilton, July 27, 1830, by Lauren Dewey. In February, 1831, it passed into the hands of Lewison Fairchild, and in November, 1831, was discontinued.

    The Canastota Register was published in 1830, by Silas Judd and H. B. Mattison, and in 1831, by H. S. Merritt.

    The Student's Miscellany was published semi-monthly at Cazenovia, in 1831, by A. Owen and L. Kidder.

    The Chittenango Herald was established in 1832, by Isaac Lyon, and published successively as The Chittenango Republican, The Phnix, and The Democratic Gazette, until 1856, when it was discontinued.

    The Hamilton Courier was commenced by G. R. Waldron, in February, 1834, and the following year appeared as The Hamilton Courier and Madison County Advertiser. It was continued until 1838.

    The Union Herald was started in May, 1835, by L. Myrick and E. W. Clark. Mr. Clark withdrew in 1836, and the paper was discontinued in 1840.

    The DeRuyter Herald was published in 1835, by C. W. Mason.

    The Cazenovia Democrat was started in September, 1836, by J. W. Chubbuck & Co., and edited by J. W. Dwinelle. It was discontinued in February, 1837.

    The Protestant Sentinel was moved from Schenectady to DeRuyter in November, 1836, and published by J. & C. H. Maxon until the fall of 1837, when it passed into the hands of William D. Cochran, by whom it was issued as The Protestant Sentinel and Seventh Day Baptist Journal. In February, 1840, Joel Greene became its publisher and changed it to The Seventh Day Baptist Register. In 1841, it passed into the hands of James Bailey, by whom it was continued till 1845.

    The Hamilton Palladium was started in 1838, by John Atwood, and continued six years, a part of the time by J. & D. Atwood.

    The Hamilton Eagle was published in 1839, by G. R. Waldron.

    The Madison County Eagle was established at Cazenovia, in February, 1840, by Cyrus O. Poole. In 1841, it was published by Thomas S. Myrick, and W. H. Phillips, the former of whom withdrew in 1842; and in May, 1845, it was changed to The Madison County Whig. In August, 1848, H. A. Cooledge succeeded Mr. Phillips in the proprietorship, and changed it to The Madison County News, in October, 1853. In May, 1854, it was again changed to The Madison County Whig, and in January, 1857, was discontinued.

    The Abolitionist was started at Cazenovia, in 1841, by Luther Myrick, and continued two years.

    The Literary Visitor was published at Hamilton about three months in 1842, by Dennis Redman.

    The Democratic Reflector was established at Hamilton, in 1842, by George R. Waldron and Wallace W. Chubbuck, who published it about six months, when Waldron acquired his partner's interest, and within a year became associated with Arthur M. Baker, whose interest he purchased in 1854. In 1856, he united it with The Madison County Journal, which was started in September, 1849, at Hamilton, by E. F. & C. B. Gould. W. W. Chubbuck, F. B. Fisher and Thos. L. James, (the latter of whom is the present postmaster in New York city,) were afterwards interested in the publication of the Journal. After the union the name was changed to THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICAN and was continued by Waldron & Jones until 1860, when the latter sold his interest to J. Hunt Smith, to whom Waldron also sold his interest in 1861. Smith continued its publication some six months and sold it to his father, Adon Smith, who published it some six or seven months and exchanged it for other property with A. Lord, who did not publish it, but sold it Feb. 6, 1863, to E. D. Van Slyke, who still publishes it. The paper is issued every Thursday; is Republican in politics, and has a circulation of about 800.

    George R. Waldron, his son George G., and three of his compositors, enlisted in the 157th regiment---exchanging the shooting-stick for the shooting-iron.

    The Madison and Onondaga Abolitionist was published at Cazenovia in 1843, by Luther Myrick and J. C. Jackson.

    The Mill Boy and The Polker were published at Hamilton during the campaign of 1844, the former at the Palladium office and the latter at the Reflector office.

    The National Banner was commenced at DeRuyter in October, 1847, by A. C. Hill, and continued two years.

    The Central New Yorker was published at DeRuyter by E. F. & C. B. Gould, from September, 1848, until May, 1851.

    The Madison Republic was commenced at Cazenovia in January, 1850, by W. H. Phillips, and continued about three months.

    The Land Mark was published at Hamilton, as a campaign paper, in 1850.

    The Cazenovia Gazette was published at Cazenovia, by Baker & Debnam, from October, 1851, until May, 1852.

    The Oneida Telegraph was established at Oneida in October, 1851, by D. H. Frost. In June, 1854, it passed into the hands of John Crawford, and was changed to The Oneida Sachem, under which name it was continued until May, 1863, when it was changed to THE ONEIDA DISPATCH. Edward H. Spooner was associated with Mr. Crawford in its publication from March to October, 1864. September 16, 1865, it passed into the hands of E. H. Purdy and D. A. Jackson; and June 1, 1870, Mr. Purdy withdrew and M. M. Allen became associated with Mr. Jackson in its publication. Messrs. Jackson & Allen are the present publishers. It is published weekly; has a circulation of about 3,000; and is Republican in politics.

    The Progressive Christian was established at Cazenovia in April, 1853, by A. Pryne, and was published two years.

    THE CAZENOVIA REPUBLICAN was established May 1, 1854, by Seneca Lake. It was afterwards published successively by the Crandall Bros., the Forte Bros., and by E. B. Crandall, until May 17, 1877, when the latter sold it to Fred M. Taylor, the present publisher. It is issued every Thursday. It is and always has been an advocate of Republican principles. Its circulation is a little more than one thousand.

    The Journal of the Madison County Temperance Union was the outgrowth of early and persistent efforts in the cause of temperance. It was published monthly at Peterboro; and was edited by William B. Downer. The name was soon after changed to the Maine Law Journal; but failing to receive merited support from the friends of the cause it advocated, it was discontinued after a weakly existence of nearly a year.

    The Christian and Citizen was published at Peterboro in 1854, by Pruyn and Walker.

    The New York State Radii was removed from Fort Plain, Montgomery county, in 1854, and published at Hamilton about eighteen months, by Levi S. Backus, when it was returned to Fort Plain.

    The Banner of the Times was published at DeRuyter during this period, by Walker & Hall, and continued until 1855.

    THE DEMOCRATIC UNION was commenced at Hamilton in October, 1856, by Levi S. Backus. In 1857, it passed into the hands of W. H. Baker, who removed it in 1862, to Oneida, where he published it until his death, June 15, 1872. August 1, 1872, its publication was assumed by Messrs. Baker & Maxon, the former a brother of W. H. Baker, who still publish it. It is a strong advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, and has a circulation of upwards of 3,000.

    The Canastota Times was commenced in 1857, by George H. Merriam. In November, 1857, it was changed to the Herald and Times. In the spring of 1858, Mr. Merriam sold it to Frederick A. Williams, who discontinued it after a few weeks.

    The Circular, published weekly, was established by the Oneida Community in 1857.

    The Canastota Eagle was commenced Nov. 4, 1858, by J. E. N. Backus, who published it about three years, when it passed into the hands of Smith Van Allen, who changed it to the Canastota Weekly Gazette. It soon after passed into the hands of F. A. Darling, who entered the army in 1861, and the paper was discontinued.

    The DeRuyter Weekly News was started in 1862, by J. E. N. Backus, and was discontinued in 1864.

    The Sabbath School Gem was published monthly at DeRuyter in 1863 and 1864, by J. E. N. Backus.

    The Independent Volunteer was established July 5, 1863,3 and published simultaneously at Morrisville and Hamilton by George R. Waldron and J. M. Chase. Waldron acquired Chase's interest and after publishing it two years associated with himself in its publication his son George Gilbert Waldron. Sept. 26, 1866, it was changed to Waldron's Democratic Volunteer and its publication confined to Hamilton. It was published by Waldron & Son until 1875, when the elder Waldron, having become blind from disease contracted while in the army, relinquished the conduct of the paper to his son, who still publishes it as THE DEMOCRATIC VOLUNTEER. Both the Waldrons were in the army and the paper was named the Volunteer in commemoration of that service. It is and has been from the beginning a Republican paper. It is published every Wednesday, and has a circulation of 1,150. It has been enlarged three different times. Its present size is 25 by 37 inches.

    The Canastota Herald was established in September, 1866, by Arthur White, who published it until April, 1867, when it passed into the hands of White & Greenhow, who continued it a year. Greenhow & Son then became its publishers. They sold it to ____ Shaffer, who sold in 1871, to Walter C. Stone.

    The DeRUYTER NEW ERA was established October 6, 1870, by John R. Beden, its present publisher. It is a Republican paper, published every Thursday, and has a circulation of 900. Its size is 30 by 40 inches.

    The Chittenango Times was established in 1870, by Arthur White.

    THE BROOKFIELD COURIER was established at Clarksville, May 3, 1876, by Frank M. Spooner and Frank E. Munger, and was published by Spooner & Munger one year, when Henry L. Spooner, father of Frank M. Spooner purchased Munger's interest. It has since been published by H. L. Spooner & Son. Its size at its commencement was 26 by 40 inches. It was enlarged to 28 by 40 inches Nov. 26, 1879. It is independent in politics; is issued every Wednesday, and has a circulation of 1,200.

    The Earlville Recorder was started Dec. 9, 1876, by Frank W. Godfred, who published it some eight weeks. It was a four page weekly, 22 by 32 inches, and was "strictly neutral on all controversial questions."

    THE ENTERPRISE was established at Earlville April 5, 1878, by Eugene M. Lansing, its present publisher. Its successive enlargements indicates the enterprise of its publisher. Its size at first was 16 by 22 inches. It was enlarged with the fourth number (April 28, 1878,) to 20 by 26 inches, with the thirty-fourth number (Nov. 29, 1878,) to 24 by 40 inches, and with No. 33, Vol. II. (Nov. 20, 1879,) to 32 by 44 inches. "The" became a part of the name March 14, 1879, with No. 49 of Vol. I. It is published every Thursday; is neutral in politics, and has a circulation of 600.

    THE WEEKLY GLEANER was commenced at DeRuyter, September 18, 1878, by Warren W. Ames, by whom it is still published. It is devoted to general and local news, and is independent in politics. Its size is 21 by 31 inches; its circulation, about 500. It is published every Thursday.

    The Cazenovia Standard was started November 10, 1878, by Henry C. Hammond and E. S. Vanvalen, who published it till March 1, 1879, when H. C. Hammond became the sole proprietor. He published it about three months, when it was removed to Manlius, where it is still published as the Manlius Monitor. It was a weekly paper; independent in politics.

    THE WEEKLY PIONEER was started at Poolville July, 1879, by Charles H. Jackson, the present proprietor. It is a three-column paper, with a circulation of 300. It is edited by the proprietor, who is nineteen years old.

    THE HAMILTON RECORDER, a monthly advertising sheet, was started in November, 1879, by A. B. Campbell, a merchant in that village.

    THE ONEIDA FREE PRESS was established April 3, 1880, by W. Hector Gale.

    The Blue Ribbon a small semi-monthly temperance journal was started at DeRuyter in August, 1877, but had only a brief existence.

    For a more complete record of the Press of Chittenango, we would refer the reader to the History of the Town of Sullivan.

1 - See page 106.
2 - See History; Town of Eaton.
3 - This is the date given by its publisher. Child's Gazetteer of Madison County gives as the date of its commencement July 28, 1864.
Transcribed by Tim Stowell
November, 2005
If you have resources for Madison County or would like to volunteer to help with look-ups, please e-mail me at Tim Stowell
1880 History
Madison Co, NY Page
There were 2,325 visitors from 30 Nov 2005 - 2 Jun 2016 - thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 4 Feb 2018