Note a.---ABRAM ANTONE was born in the year 1750, on the banks of the Susquehanna. His father was an Indian of the Stockbridge tribe---his mother, the daughter of an Oneida chief.1 When quite young, his parents removed to the county of Chenango, where for the most part he has since lived.

    Bold and adventurous, having been bred in the true spirit of his savage ancestors, he took up arms in favor of the Americans in the year 1776. It has been asserted that he was a British Indian, which he altogether denied. "I was," said he, "in three battles. I fought for the Americans, and fought bravely." On being asked how many of the enemy he had slain, "More that that," he replied, holding up both hands with fingers spread, and then added that he could not tell exactly how many, "because," he said "though I often pointed my rifle, yet on account of much smoke, I could not always tell whether I had killed or not." He asserted that he had once been employed by Gov. George Clinton on a secret mission, and observed that he was a great friend to him. If this is true, it shows him to have been perfectly trustworthy, even if bloodthirsty and revengeful.

    The first murder of his which was well attested and to which he assented, was committed at Chenango Point about 1798. The Indian whose duty it was to distribute the government allowance to the different tribes, defrauded, or was believed by Antone, to have defrauded him of some part of the money. He consequently declared his intention to kill him, which he effected in the following way: At the raising of an Indian house near the Point, Antone, as usual on such occasions, was present. The Indian whom he had threatened was also present, though not without the precaution of being armed. Antone did not assist much, but sat on a piece of timber within the frame. He continued sitting there, till the house was raised, and the people assembled together to the number of fifty, for the purpose of drinking, when Antone suddenly taking aim, fulfilled his promise by shooting the Indian directly through the heart. He then arose and walked deliberately off. The Indians buried the body and here the matter ended, Antone paying a sum of money to the tribe for a ransom. But the most atrocious deed of all, is one at which humanity starts with horror---a crime at which nature revolts, and which is almost without parallel---the murder of an infant child, and that child his own! The circumstances of this event are almost too horrible to relate. It appears from the account of his wife, that returning from an assembly of Indians one evening to his wigwam, he found his little infant of four or five months old vociferously crying. Impatient at the noise, the monster snatched the child from its mother's arms, and raking open a hot bed of coals, buried the infant beneath them. It might be hoped for the honor of humanity that this account were not true, but the fact was allowed by his wife, and well attested by others, so that no doubt can remain as to the truth of it.2

    "To look at the old warrior," writes his historian, "one would scarcely suppose he could be guilty of so enormous a crime. He has a noble countenance in which there is not the least expression of malice. On the contrary there is something placable and bordering on serenity in his features. His eye is penetrating but yet expresses no cruelty. His voice is somewhat broken by age, but pleasant and sonorous. In short, no one has seen him, but has gone away with a more favorable impression than when he came."

    The next thing of any consequence which occurs in his life is his removal to Canada. This appears to have been ten or twelve years before his death. While residing in that country, in a removal from one encampment to another, he was overtaken by a company of men on horseback, one of whom insulted the squaws in Antone's company. On his resenting it the other struck him with his whip calling him an Indian dog, and rode off with his companions, laughing at the Indian's threats of vengeance, which would probably have been executed on the spot had it not the offender been surrounded by a number of well-mounted cavaliers. The indignant warrior left his friends to seek their encampment alone. Armed only with his knife he determined to follow his enemy till an opportunity should occur of dispatching him. For many days he pursued the travelers without success, closely dogging them. Grown desperate he at length determined on a bold step. Disguising himself by painting his face warrior fashion, he entered a public house where the horsemen had put up. He was not recognized. Gaining the favor of the landlord by his peaceful demeanor, he was permitted to lodge before the fire. The observing eye of the Indian had noticed where the bedroom of the doomed man was situated. He arose in the night with a noiseless step, entered the room and finding where he lay, struck him on the left side; the blow needed not repeatal; and the groan of the victim was lost in the exulting yell of the savage, who burst from the house before the family, terrified by the demoniac whoop, could oppose him. The particulars of this murder were received from a civilized Indian of the Stockbridge tribe, who probably heard them from Antone himself. Antone confessed to the murder of a white man in Canada.

    The next occurrence in order was the murder for which he was indicted. It will be necessary, however, to briefly mention a few events which took place previous to it. In 1810, Mary, the daughter of Antone,3 formed a connection with a young Indian, it is said, of the Stockbridge tribe; however, the connection was soon broken off, and the young man left her for one more agreeable. This so enraged Mary that she determined to kill her rival, which she effected by stabbing her with an Indian knife.4 When arrested and on her way to prison she manifested a remarkable indifference as to her fate, justifying herself concerning the murder of the squaw, by saying that "she had got away her Indian and deserved to die." She was executed in Peterboro, in this county. John Jacobs had been the principal evidence against her. He had also been very active in her arrest. In short, he was considered by Antone as the principal cause of her death, and before and after her execution, he openly threatened to kill him. Jacobs (who was also an Indian, or half-breed,) left the country and did not return till Antone sent him word that he would not molest him. Relying upon Antone's promise, he returned and engaged in his usual avocations. He was hoeing corn in a field with a number of men, when Antone came up in a friendly way, shaking hands with each one, and while grasping the hand of Jacobs in apparent friendship, slipt a long knife from out the frock sleeve of his left arm, pronouncing, "How d'ye do, brother?" and quick as lightning plunged it into the body of Jacobs, striking him three times under the short ribs. He fell at the first blow. Antone, giving a terrific yell, bounded off before any one had recovered presence of mind sufficient to pursue him. That night he was pursued by a number of Indians and was surprised in his hiding-place, but by his fleetness he escaped. He went constantly armed with a rifle and knives, accompanied by dogs, and his sons daily ministered to his needs while concealed in the forest. He was often surrounded by officers in pursuit of him, but he managed to escape.

    There was an attempt to take him while encamped on a Mr. John Guthrie's land, in the town of Sherburne. Two large and resolute Indians having obtained information that Antone was alone in his camp, went with full determination of securing him. They went to his wigwam and discovered him alone, making a broom; but the ever-watchful Indian, hearing a rustling noise, seized his rifle, and, as they suddenly entered, pointed at the foremost, declared if he advanced a step further he would shoot him dead. His determined manner appalled the pursuers, and after parleying with him a short time, they withdrew, very much mortified at the result of their enterprise. Antone grimly smiled as they turned away, for his trusty rifle was not loaded, a circumstance of which he frequently boasted afterwards. He at length grew so bold and fearless that he marched through our towns and villages in open day, without any fear of being taken. It is said that in the village of Sherburne he entered a store in which there were about twenty men, and drank till he was intoxicated.

    Antone was finally betrayed into the hands of a posse of officers, by a man who won his confidence by professions of friendship. He decoyed him by getting him out of his cabin to have a trial with him in shooting at a mark. As soon as Antone had discharged his piece, the officers, who were stationed in secret a few steps away, rushed upon and secured him, though not without a desperate struggle, for the old veteran fought manfully, exhibiting exceeding strength and agility, and was considerably bruised in the conflict.

    During Antone's confinement several pious people endeavored to explain to him the principles of the Christian religion. But he either could not or would not understand them. He had no idea of a Saviour. He mentioned through the interpreter that he put his trust in God, or more properly the Great Spirit. He was then asked if it was the God of the Christian, or the spirit which was worshiped by his fathers. The eye of the warrior sparkled as he readily replied, "THE GOD OF MY FATHERS!"

    Until toward the last he nourished a hope of being reprieved, but when this hope failed he expressed a willingness to die, and only complained of the manner; the mode of execution he regarded as degrading. "No good way!" he said, putting his hands about his hands about his neck. "No good way to hang like a dog!" then, pointing to his heart, observed that he should be willing to be shot. He was, moreover, very anxious about his body, feeling it would be obtained for dissection. He made no lengthy confession, but assented to having committed the murder herein related, and only these. Several other atrocious murders had been attributed to him, which he utterly denied.

    The jury in his case, according to the facts elicited by testimony, and agreeable to our laws, rendered a verdict of "guilty," and according to his sentence he was executed in Morrisville, on Friday, the 12th day of September, 1823. A large delegation of his own race were present. The execution was a public one, and a great concourse of people witnessed it.


    Note b.---Charles, Job, Naboth, Amos, Jonathan, Nathan, Catharine, Sally, Lewis, Nancy, Mary, Polly, and Phebe Welch were the names of the Welch family of the pioneers of Brookfield.


    Note c.---DEATH OF LEDYARD LINCKLAEN---In Cazenovia, April 24th, 1864, Ledyard Lincklaen, Esq., in the 44th year of his age. This sad announcement will awaken feelings in this community and elsewhere which are seldom so stirred by an obituary notice. Mr. Lincklaen was an extraordinary man, and his loss a public one of no ordinary magnitude. But a few years since he came forward endowed with a finished education, enlarged by foreign travel, and possessing a mind peculiarly fitted for the investigation of the popular branches of natural history, in which he soon made such progress as to challenge the attention and acquire the respect of many of the foremost men of science in that department. With ample leisure and means to prosecute his favorite course of study and investigation, his friends indulged the reasonable expectation that at the proper time of life, and, indeed, much earlier than usually happens, he was quite sure to take his place among the leading scientific men of the land. But these fondly cherished hopes were doomed to be crushed by the prostration of his hitherto vigorous health, which commenced a few years since and has finally stricken him down in the prime of life and in a manner almost if not entirely inscrutable to the best medical minds of the country. But what are the blighted prospects of public usefulness to the more deadly blight with which his bereavement falls upon his family connection, and a whole community of friends?

    Mr. Lincklaen was born, and has always lived in this place; and it may be said with truth that he has lived an unblemished life in all the relations of the family, the neighborhood and of society. He was a rigidly just man, a strict conscientious man, and a habitually kind and benevolent man. These leading characteristics never bent to outward circumstances, and were never influenced by considerations of a personal nature. Selfishness formed no part of his character, and duty never was surrendered to fear, favor or partiality. Sincerity, both of word and action, was one of his marked characteristics, and so strong was its influence that he never became what the world terms a polite man, though his intercourse with others was always kind, genial and inoffensive, and his expressions heartfelt and friendly. He despised everything which we denominate sham. It was loathsome to his uprightness of disposition; and much of what is deemed policy in the business and intercourse of the world, he looked upon with disgust. His habits of life were simple and unostentatious, as befitting a refined, sincere, straightforward man as he was, and his loss will be intensely felt by all classes of our community, as well as by those to whom it is irreparable and enduring. It would ill become the writer of this to speak of the religious character of the deceased. Suffice is to say, that he was a regular attendant at and a liberal supporter of the Episcopal Church of this place, and is confidently regarded as a man who did justice, loved mercy and walked humbly before God.---[From Cazenovia Republican, April 27, 1864.]


    Note d.---LUCY DUTTON, or "Crazy Luce," as she was called, the subject of a number of romantic love tales, lived in Cazenovia seventy years ago. She was one of the daughters of an honest and respectable farmer. She was "winningly rather than strikingly beautiful. Under a manner observable for its seriousness, and a nun-like serenity, were concealed an impassioned nature, and a heart of the deepest capacity for loving. She was remarkable from her earliest childhood for a voice of thrilling and haunting sweetness." So writes "Grace Greenwood," who further tells us that Lucy's sister, Ellen, was a "brilliant born beauty," petted and spoiled by her parents, and idolized by her sister. Lucy possessed a fine intellect, and was a far better educated than other girls of her station in a new country, therefore she left home about this period to take charge of a school some twenty miles distant. There she was wooed and won by a young man of excellent family, Edwin W_____, and her parents gave their approval to the union.

    It was decided that Lucy should come home to prepare for her marriage, and that her sister should return to the school to take charge of it for the remainder of the term. Lucy's lover brought her home, and on his return went with him the handsome sister Ellen. He was a rather genteel young man, having some pretensions to fashion, and quite satisfied Ellen's exacting fancy. Utterly heartless as she was, she proceeded to deliberately win his love, regardless of the destruction of the happiness of her sister.

    Unconscious of the proceedings being enacted in that distant town, Lucy, with a happy heart, perfected the preparations for her marriage, which was to take place in two months from the time she came home. At length the wedding day arrived---Lucy's nineteenth birthday---and Ellen and the bridegroom were hourly expected. But the day wore away, and neither the bridegroom, nor Ellen, the first bridesmaid, had appeared.

    This episode in the sad story of her life is related affectingly in Grace Greenwood's "Lucy Dutton," which has been generally regarded as the correct version.

    At evening the anxiously looked for couple arrived. The manner of the bridegroom was somewhat agitated as he tossed off a glass or two of wine, and when sufficiently stimulated for the occasion, he announced that he was already married. Turning to Mr. and Mrs. Dutton he said, "I found I had never loved until I knew your second daughter." Says Grace Greenwood:

    "And Lucy? She heard all with a strange calmness, then walking steadily forward confronted her betrayers! Terrible as pale Nemesis herself, she stood before them, and her look pierced like a keen, cold blade into their false hearts. As though to assure herself of the dread reality of the vision, she laid her hand on Ellen's shoulder, and let it glide down her arm---but she touched not Edwin. As those cold fingers met hers, the unhappy wife first gazed into her sister's face, the dilated nostrils, the quivering lip and the intensely mournful eyes, she covered her own face with her hands and burst into tears, while the young husband, awed by the terrible silence of her he had wronged, gasped for breath, and staggered back against the wall. Then Lucy, clasped her hands on her forehead, first gave voice to her anguish and despair in one fearful cry, which could but ring forever through the souls of the guilty pair, and fell in a death-like swoon at their feet."

    On awakening from this swoon her friends found that she was hopelessly insane. Her madness was of a mild nature, but she seemed possessed by the spirit of unrest. She would not be confined, and though her parents while they lived, in some measure controlled this sad propensity, on their death she became a hopeless wanderer, and constantly traversed the whole area of Madison County and those adjoining. One informant states that Lucy in 1812, appeared then to be about thirty or thirty-five years of age. Though faded and worn, and sometimes ragged, the marks of beauty lingered about her features and person. She was of scarcely medium height, straight, with handsome rounded form, which expressed considerable ease and grace in her carriage and movements. Her naturally fair and soft complexion was browned by much exposure, for poor Lucy was always on the tramp. A handsome mouth, lips neither thin nor too full, a delicate Grecian nose, sad-looking hazel eyes, a forehead neither very high nor too low---a perfect feminine forehead, we should judge---formed a face pleasing to look upon, but sadly interesting because of the deeply-troubled expression always there, overshadowing the light of reason. At all times, whether in action or repose, her soft voice gave vent to a low mournful sound---intonations, between the moaning of deep trouble and the audible sighs of abject weariness, or something resembling the moaning of a child in a troubled dream.

      Grace Greenwood says: "Her appearance was very singular. Her gown was always patched with many colors, and her shawl or mantle worn and torn, until it was all open work and fringe. The remainder of her miserable wardrobe she carried in a bundle on her arm, and sometimes she had a number of parcels of old rags, dried herbs, &c.

    "In the season of flowers her tattered bonnet was profusely decorated with those which she gathered in the woods, or by the way-side. Her love for these and her sweet voice were all that was left her of the bloom and music of existence. Yet no,---her meek and child-like piety still lingered. Her God had not forsaken her. Down into the dim chaos of her spirit, the smile of His love yet gleamed faintly---in the waste garden of her heart she still heard His voice at eventide, and she was not 'afraid.' Her Bible went with her everywhere."

    She had a great repugnance to the society of men, and would climb fences in the most tedious wintry weather to avoid meeting them. Her friends, knowing this peculiarity, humored her---the men by never appearing to notice her, when in her presence.

    After wandering thirty years, Lucy Dutton was taken suddenly ill, and was moved to one of her old friends to die. A few hours before dissolution, reason returned,---she awoke, as it were, from a long nightmare. Supposing she had been asleep, she related to her attendant her terrible dream. It was soon revealed to her that her dream had been the sad reality of her life; that she was now old and dying. With a few old friends around her, the services of the Christian religion were administered by a servant of Christ in a manner peculiarly tender and sacred, befitting the occasion, and her lips, which at first joined in prayer, grew still. The prayer began on earth ended in a song of praise, over the other side of the dark valley.


    Note e.---An extract from the Leland Magazine, published 1850, says:---"Amasa Leland, Ezra Leland, Isaac Leland, Orrison Leland and Uriah Leland, children of Joshua Leland, were born in Sherburne, Mass., and removed with their parents in 1794, from Sherburne to Madison Co., N. Y. His other five children, Phebe, Sylvia, Juliette, Yale and Joshua, were born in Madison County, near Morrisville. Amasa Leland settled in Madison; was an industrious farmer and a pious member of the Baptist Church. Ezra has for many years lived near Morrisville and has held several responsible municipal offices. He is a farmer, a professor of religion and deacon in the Baptist Church. Orrison Leland several years ago settled in Northfield, near Ann Arbor, in the county of Washtenaw, Michigan. He is a respectable farmer and a pious christian. Uriah Leland is now living (1850) in Morrisville, N. Y., where he has hitherto resided during his youth and manhood. He was in the active military service of his country at Sackett's Harbor as a subaltern officer for a short period of time, during the war with Great Britain, and since that time he has passed through all the grades of military promotion from a Cornet to a Colonel in the horse artillery of the State troops of New York. He has also for many years holden several responsible municipal offices in the town of Morrisville, and for the year 1839 he was a member of the Legislative Assembly of New York, for the County of Madison. Sylvia was married in 1823 to James Howard, of Madison, and since that time has resided with her husband in Madison, N. Y. Yale has always lived in Madison. He is a millwright of considerable note. He has holden the offices of Colonel in the militia and County Supervisor. He is a professor of religion and holds the office of class-leader in the Methodist Church. Joshua is an intelligent farmer, settled in Washtenaw County, Mich., where he has resided for many years. He is an active and useful citizen and a pious christian. He has holden the office of Magistrate for several years, and for the years 1844 and '46 he was member of the Legislature of Michigan."

    Uriah, Amasa and Sylvia, the authoress learns, have passed away since the above family record was written.


    Note f.---The Tayntors of this town are of the fifth and sixth generation from the Joseph Tayntor who embarked from England, April 24, 1638, and settled in Watertown, Mass. They were a race of patriots and of pious men and women. There were Captains, Lieutenants, Doctors, Deacons and Ministers. To the work of the church they seemed to have been especially devoted, as all along down their line of ancestry and branches, during two hundred and thirty-three years, are scattered numerous ministers, deacons and other prominent churchmen.

    The Joseph Tayntor who came to Lebanon in 1808, was born in Worcester, Mass. in 1774. In 1795 he married Miss Abigail Fuller, a descendant of another ancient and prominent family of New England, and after some thirteen years came on to Madison County. Here, in the dreariness of winter and in the solitude of an extended wilderness, he gathered his little family around the parental fireside, sheltered from the bleak winds by a rudely constructed log cabin built from the timber that grew on the ground where it stood; and on this very spot, endeared by various and numberless associations, he lived full forty years.

    Five sons and daughters represented Joseph Tayntor's family, who filled positions of usefulness in the town of Eaton, County of Madison. These sons were Joseph Tayntor who became a Baptist Deacon and who adorned his position by a consistent life; he was also a substantial farmer and useful citizen, in many respects; Rev. Orsamus Tayntor, a Baptist clergyman, who is still living in West Eaton; Cyrus Tayntor, who resided many years in Eaton, a man respected wherever he lives; and Ira B. Tayntor, a man of influence and position who has been Superintendent of Schools, and has held other municipal offices in town and county. There are other worthy families of Tayntors in this town, who are from the same progenitors.


    Note g.---Three families of Morse came to Eaton from Sherburne, Mass. They were Benjamin, Joseph and Hezekiah Morse, of the sixth generation from Samuel Morse, who was born in England in 1585, emigrated to New England and settled in Dedham in 1637. From Joseph Morse, son of Samuel, the pioneers of Eaton descended. The race is marked for there being among its members prominent pioneers of noted localities. Joseph Morse was proprietor of the "Medfield Grant," which formed the town of Medfield, Mass. His son, Capt. Joseph Morse, was an extensive land-holder in Bogistow, where he settled in 1670, and who married Mehitable Wood, the daughter of Nicholas Wood, the founder of Sherburne, Mass.

    Capt. David Morse, a son of Capt. Joseph, was one of the first white settlers of Natick, about 1727. He was empowered by the General Court to call the first parish or town meeting. He was a master spirit among whites and Indians. His son, Maj. Joseph Morse, (fifth generation) was a patriot in the Revolution. His three sons were the pioneers of Eaton.

    Benjamin Morse married Deborah Sawin, and with four children removed from Sherburne to Eaton in 1795. The only one of his family now living, is Julia, wife of Sylvestor Macomber, of Hamilton; but other descendants live in Michigan and other Western States.

    Joseph Morse married Eunice Bigelow, and with four children removed to Eaton in 1796. After their removal four more children were born. Joseph Morse was the founder of Eaton village, and his sons have been identified with nearly all of its business interests. These sons may be named as follows: Ellis, whose biographical sketch appears in the chapter relating to Eaton; Joseph, who removed to Pennsylvania and was there several times returned to the Legislature of that State, and also became Judge of his County Courts; Calvin, who was elected member of the Legislature from Madison County in 1842, and has held municipal offices in town and county; Alpheus, who has been a merchant and scientific farmer, and for many years past, manufacturer, being proprietor of the Alderbrook Woolen Mill; and Bigelow, who was a respected citizen of Fabius, Onondaga County. Eunice, the eldest daughter of Joseph Morse, married Dr. James Pratt, the pioneer physician of Eaton. After her husband's death, she with her family removed and began pioneer life again in Palmyra, Mo. She was a woman of indomitable will and great energy of character.

    The descendants of Joseph Morse have, many of them, distinguished themselves in various positions. Gen. Henry B. Morse entered the late war as Captain of the 114th Reg. N. Y. V., was promoted to the office of Colonel, and subsequently, for meritorious services, was brevetted Brigadier-General in the army of the southwest. He is grandson of Joseph Morse; as also is the Rev. Andrew Morse, of Warsaw, Wyoming County. Gardner Morse, who was member of the Legislature in 1866, Walter, a member of the manufacturing firm of Wood, Tabor & Morse, George E., a prominent citizen of Rochester, and Alfred, who bravely gave his life for the Union cause at the battle of Winchester, Va.; all these being sons of Ellis Morse. Darwin and Frank B. Morse, merchants at Eaton village, sons of Bigelow, are grandsons of Joseph Morse. Two grand-daughters, Belinda and Eliza, daughters of Calvin, have been conspicuous as teachers, the latter being now assistant Principal of Vassar Female College.

    Hezekiah Morse, the third of the pioneer brothers, came to Eaton in 1806. His children are scattered and many of them dead. One of his sons, Alpha, was for many years a prominent manufacturer of Eaton. Another son, ElijahE9, who is now dead, was a wealthy farmer of Eaton. A grand-daughter is wife of Rev. John Raymond, President of Vassar Female College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Albert H. Morse, a prominent citizen of Eaton is also a grandson, being son of Elijah. H. B. Morse, youngest son of Hezekiah, is a scientific and successful farmer of Norwich, N. Y.

    Where the facts in the history of a family present such a record as the foregoing, it is evident that they have been men and women eminently calculated by birth and training, to assume the duties and responsibilities, and to bear the hardships of building up the new country, and to perpetuate the institutions of civilized life. Hereditary physical strength and great mental activity characterizes this family.


    Note h.---The Darrow family are of Scotch descent, their Scottish ancestor coming to this country sometime during the sixteenth century, and settling in New London, Conn. The first name of the genealogical record the author has been able to obtain is that of Nathaniel Darrow, grandfather of David Darrow, Esq., of West Eaton, who was born in 1696, and, who married Rachel Willey, a woman of English descent. He moved to Norwalk where his son George Darrow was born in 1748. George Darrow when a young man went to reside in New Lebanon, N. Y., where he married Eunice Meacham, and where his family of six children were born. One of these dying when a child, the other four sons, Joseph, George, David and James, lived to be heads of families of their own. One daughter made the sixth child. Joseph and George took up large farms in Stow, Ohio, whither their father and mother removed in 1806, and where their father died. James joined the Shakers, where his mother, after his father's death spent her declining years.

      David, the third son of this family of George Darrow, became one of the pioneers of West Eaton. His family are and have been through the whole history of this village, prominent. The sons and daughters of David Darrow were ten in number. The daughters connected themselves with prominent and enterprising families. The sons, Joseph, George, Frederic, David M., William H., and J. J. Darrow, have been useful citizens in every respect. Joseph was a long time successful merchant and a promoter of religion and good morals; George, whose unfortunate and tragical death, which occurred in Buffalo, N. Y., was the first who died among the sons of this family. He fell by a murderous shot (while riding from his place of business in the city, to his residence,) fired by some unknown assassin, who, it is believed, mistook him for some other person, as no cause for the act could be ascertained. His body was brought to West Eaton for internment, where the tragedy had cast a gloom over community. A very large concourse of friends followed his remains to the grave. He was greatly respected for the many good qualities of his head and heart. He was a Christian in the true sense. At the time of his death he was one of the first business men in Buffalo, and was a main pillar in the M. E. Church there. David M. Darrow has been a long time Justice of the Peace at West Eaton; Frederick is a wealthy and enterprising farmer; Wm. H. Darrow is a wealthy farmer of Cazenovia; J. J. Darrow has been Justice of the Peace and Superintendent of Schools. He is a successful farmer and public spirited citizen, prominent in all matters pertaining to the advancement of religion and good society.


    Note i.---EMILY C. JUDSON, or "Fanny Forrester."---This gifted authoress was born August 22, 1817, in Alderbrook. She was a daughter of Charles Chubbuck, one of the pioneers of Eaton. Her parents were poor, hence her opportunities were limited. As a family, however, literature was their forte. The works of the best authors were brought with them from their New Hampshire home, and in the absence of congenial society, they found sweet solace in the companionship of Milton, Pope, Shakespeare, Dryden and other favorite authors.

    Underhill Cottage was not the house of "Fanny Forrester's" birth, that being the "weather-painted house at the top of the hill," described in her "Alderbrook Tales," which long ago disappeared, its location being a few rods from the Cottage. Underhill was the home of her childhood and youth, her foster birth-place, for here her mind first unfolded itself to the outer world, and here her intellect and genius had its birth. The wild country about this home seems to have bred the very atmosphere of romance and poetry, which the susceptible organization of Emily Chubbuck inhaled at her earliest breath.

    Although not physically strong, yet the narrow circumstances of their family compelled her to a life of labor while yet very young. At the age of eleven years her parents removed to Pratt's Hollow, where Emily spliced rolls in the factory. Her delicate organization but illy sustained the hardships of that weary summer, and aching feet, bleeding hands, and a sad heart were trials of daily occurrence. Later she twisted thread for a Scotch weaver and thread-maker in Morrisville; and still later, when yet in her early womanhood, she occupied a situation in a milliner shop. In the meantime her heart was devotedly set upon education. At intervals she attended the Academy, and there studied French and Mathematics, evincing a remarkable strength and penetration in the latter studies, surprising in an organization so light and fragile, proving there was depth and power to her mind as well as beauty and brilliancy.

    In the spring of 1832, when but 15 years of age, Emily Chubbuck, with a courageous heart, took into her hands the reins of her own destiny. Cautiously she proceeded, measuring every footstep, prudently assuring herself that she was right, and therefore moving on solid ground. With the ostensible purpose of visiting friends, she left home one bright April morning and tripped over the green fields, with the real intention of securing, if possible, the privilege of teaching a district school. She first repaired to the house of one of the trustees of the school district of Nelson Corners, and, not a little fluttered, applied for the school. The burly, blustering trustee did not seem to favor the application of such a demure little body, whom he considered would be no ruler over the boisterous, headstrong scholars of their school, many of whom were larger and older than herself. Her ardor was dampened, still she did not give up the object of her pursuit, and while being entertained by her friends, she made known to them the object of her wishes. They kindly offered their assistance, and went with her to the other trustee, introduced her to that good natured, smiling gentleman---the antipode of his colleague---who was highly pleased with her appearance, and satisfied with her ability. He promised to inform her in a few days if his associate should consent to hire her. She went home with her heart full of doubt and hope, and kept her trial a secret from her parents. Her mother was completely surprised a few days after, when a stranger came there and inquired for Miss Emily Chubbuck, saying he had some to hire her to teach their district school. It was soon explained, and Emily engaged to teach at seventy-five cents per week.

    That summer's trial at teaching proved a successful one, and subsequently for many years she spent her time alternately between teaching and pursuing her studies in the higher branches.

    About 1840, Miss Chubbuck entered the Utica Female Seminary, and there continued her studies and also taught composition. Here she wrote her first book, a small volume for children, entitled "Charles Lynne, or How to Observe the Golden Rule." The work met with success---fifteen hundred copies were sold in eleven weeks. After this she contributed to the 'Lady's Book," "Knickerbocker's Magazine," and 'Mother's Journal." Although her writings were not always noticed, they were in the main finally appreciated. After her name had attained celebrity, editors drew forth from some oblivious corner, neglected manuscripts, and now produced them for the benefit of an appreciative public.

    In 1844, a letter written, half in play, by herself, but signed "Fanny Forrester," to N. P. Willis, then editor of the "New Mirror," from which she did not expect any serious result, was the means of bringing her before the public in a new and attractive light; and from this date commenced her successful literary career under the nom de plume of "Fanny Forrester." We shall not further detail, but those who remember that period know how with what wondering anxiety the question was asked throughout the reading and literary world, "Who is Fanny Forrester?" The originality, purity, beauty and vivacity of her style had not its precedent on the American Continent; and yet---tell it not in Gath!---there are many of her native townspeople who never knew that "Fanny Forrester" was the timid, sensitive, shrinking factory girl, or the quiet, unassuming district school teacher.

    In 1846, she married the celebrated pioneer Missionary, Dr. Adoniram Judson, and with him went to Birmah. She aided her husband largely in his labors, and translated much in the Birman language to aid the natives in their studies. Letters from her hand, in Birmah, found thousands of anxious readers of the journals on this side of the waters.

    But at length a change came, and America read with sorrow of the death of Adoniram Judson. The eastern miasma had done its work. With a stricken heart and a body enfeebled by disease, Mrs. Judson bade adieu to Maulmain, and, bearing her precious charge, her child, in October, 1851, again set foot on her native shore. Her constitution was broken and swayed with every breeze. She often expressed a wish to die when earth was putting on her loveliest robes, and so it was. Surrounded by the children of her husband, to whom she had been a true mother, with her own darling nestling beside her, she died on the day previous to the anniversary of her marriage, in Hamilton village, June 1, 1854.

    The published works of this gifted writer were quite numerous, but among them all none was more widely read than her "Alderbrook Tales." In American literature she entered a new channel, and opened a rich mine where subsequent writers have dipped their pens to find them burnished with poetic fire.


    Note j.---Mrs. Dr. Chase was the first lady physician established in Madison County. She commenced practice in Eaton in 1848. She encountered some opposition on account of her sex, but, owing to her remarkable skill and success in difficult cases, she won public confidence and secured a large and successful practice. She continued in practice from 1848 to 1868, when sickness prostrated her. Mrs. Chase was a faithful wife, and as a mother was tenderly beloved by a large family of children. By a large circle of friends she was highly esteemed as a gifted woman and worthy in every respect. She died March 12th, 1869, aged 67 years.


    Note k.---"HON. DANIEL DARWIN PRATT, the eldest son of Dr. Daniel Pratt, of Perryville, was born in Palermo, Maine, in 1813, coming to this section with his parents in 1814. At the early age of twelve he commenced preparing for College under the tuition of Dr. Guernsey, of Fenner, which was continued at the Oneida Conference Seminary, at Cazenovia. He entered Hamilton College under the Presidency of Dr. Davis before he was fourteen and graduated with the highest honors of his class, taking the valedictory, before he was eighteen. Hon. John Cochrane was his College mate, and Rev. A. C. Kendrick, of Rochester University, was a class mate. At the age of eighteen he delivered a Fourth of July oration in Perryville, which was pronounced at the time to be one of the finest productions ever delivered in the County on such an occasion. He immediately commenced the study of law in Cazenovia. In 1832, in company with Mr. Holmes, now (1871) of Bloomington, Ill., he started for the "great west" with less than $30 in his pocket. The two young men went on the Canal to Buffalo, thence to Cleveland, where, finding a transportation wagon to Cincinnati, they obtained conveyance for their trunks, and went on themselves to that city on foot. There they endeavored to obtain situations as students of law; but the price of admission was too high for their nearly exhausted purses, and they left on a boat for Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Here young Pratt obtained a small school and remained one term, getting scarcely enough to pay his expenses, when, fortunately, he was elected principal of Rising Sun Academy, one of the most flourishing institutions of southeast Indiana. He conducted this Academy successfully, and saved money enough to go to Indianapolis and complete his law studies in the office of Fletcher & Butler, leading members of the bar in that city. In 1836 he located at Logansport, Ind., and commenced practice, to which he devoted his undivided attention and established a reputation of being one of the very best lawyers in the State. In 1851 and again in '53 he represented his district in the State Legislature, where his duties were arduous and his discharge of them highly commended and appreciated. In 1860 he was selected as a delegate for the State at large to the National Republican Convention at Chicago. Being a man of large and prepossessing appearance, with a voice in proportion to his mental as well as physical proportions, he was selected from all the men of high qualifications present, as reading clerk, and will be remembered by the many thousands who assembled at that great and important Convention. In 1868 he was nominated for Congress in the Eighth Congressional District of his adopted State,, and abandoning all else devoted his whole energy and power to the canvass, and by his eloquence and convincing arguments added no little to the success of the Republican party; but before the time arrived to take the seat he had been elected to fill, the Legislature of his State chose him U. S. Senator. He is now (1871) an active member of the Senate, and no Senator does harder work or is more faithful to his trusts. He is a finished scholar, of high and refined mental culture; possesses a genial disposition, intermingled with a never-failing fund of humor, wit and sentiment combined, and is the life of the circle of his professional friends and neighbors. Upright in his character; gentlemanly in his deportment; unostentatious in manner; modest and retiring to a fault; in short, possessing all the qualities which should ever characterize a great and good man. He has filled the position he occupies with honor to himself and credit to the State and party who have chosen him, without even soliciting his consent.


    Note l.---THE FEMALE ANTI-SLAVERY SOCIETY of Hamilton was formed in Hamilton in December, 1843, in the house of John Foote. The object of this association was to lend its influence against slavery, raise means to contribute to the advancement of freedom by donations to Anti-Slavery agents, ministers, or missionaries, and to the fugitives from bondage, &c., &c. A constitution was formed and adopted by this body of refined and intelligent women, who conducted their meetings with president, secretary, treasurer and managers.

    They raised funds by sewing societies and by subscriptions for the cause, procured the best and most noted of the Anti-Slavery lecturers to hold public meetings in Hamilton, and in some cases adopted colored children, or otherwise provided for them by finding them places to work, and having their schooling attended to.

    The membership of the society increased as the years wore on; their meetings were well attended, and conducted with grave decorum. The exercises were of a religious and literary character, always bearing on the question of slavery, and made deeply interesting by the talent brought forward.

    The association continued its meetings and labors until the close of the civil war, when their labors were no longer required.


    Note m.---ANGEL DE FERRIERE was born at Niort, Department Des Deux Sevres, France, in the year of 1769. His youth was passed under the reign of Louis XVI., a period characterized by turbulence, revolution, and finally the downfall of the empire. The ancient families of the empire strove to maintain their beloved king, and when he fell, the whole nobility of the realm were involved in the general ruin. Death, imprisonment, or banishment awaited those who did not flee the vengeance of the furious revolutionists.

    The De Ferriere family belonged to the ancient nobility, whose representative was Mons. Chevalier Edward Brieard, the last French Governor of Canada. Truly loyal to the fortunes of their king, they fell with him, and their estates in the city of Alnay were confiscated, and the family hurried into exile.

    Angel De Ferrier, at an early age, had been sent to the Military School at Brien, where Napoleon Bonaparte was educated, and when not twenty-one attained to the promotion of colonel in the King's Life Guards. In an attack made upon the palace in August 1792, the king's body-guard were driven to use arms in a fruitless attempt at defense, for they found themselves unequal to the fury of a Parisian mob. They were compelled to witness the most cruel treatment of their king and queen, and to be unable to rescue them from violence and imprisonment, and were forced, in self preservation, to flee from the vengeance of a continually increasing and formidable faction which swelled the mob, and was hurrying to prison or the guillotine every member of the nobility whom they could seize. Few of the king's body-guard escaped, but among the fortunate ones was Col. De Ferriere, and a companion in arms, a young noble, who fled to Holland, where, their families being known, they found friends. Even here they were not safe, for the spies of the revolutionists swarmed throughout the adjacent countries.

    During their stay in Holland, at a dinner party they were introduced to some gentlemen who belonged to the Holland Land Company, who, in conversation on their affairs in America, proposed that these young men should try their fortunes in the new country, as many other noblemen had done before them. Col. De Ferriere and his companion were impressed with the idea and decided to go thither. They immediately made the necessary arrangements, deposited funds with bankers in Holland, and took letters of credit on the Holland Company's bankers in America, Messrs. Leroy Bayard & Co. Nor far from the time when their King, Louis the XVI., was beheaded, in the year 1793, they embarked at Amsterdam in a vessel bound for New York.

    When about to embark, it was observed that cruisers, searching for the proscribed loyalists of France, lined the coast. They had been but a few hours at sea, and just at night, when one of these cruisers drew near, clearly with the intention of boarding the vessel. The captain desired to secrete the loyalists, but De Ferriere's companion declared he could pass for an Italian, and thus escape. De Ferriere was prevailed upon to be secreted, and the ship's crew soon made a recess in among the fire-wood of the cook-room in which he and his effects were safely placed.

    The cruiser hove alongside, the officers boarded the ship, and having displayed their papers of authority, commenced search. They soon met the pretended Italian, but his speech betrayed his high birth and French origin, and he was hurried from the vessel into confinement. Diligent but fruitless search was made for De Ferriere, and great was his relief mingled with heartfelt sorrow, as the cruiser receded from view, for, although he was safe, his friend was being borne to a dreadful doom.

    Soon after night had settled down upon the sea, another vessel, whose flag they could not discern in darkness, drew near and hailed them. There was instant and anxious fear, lest the cruiser had returned, perhaps having learned by plying their frightened captive with questions that another fugitive was in the ship. Taking this view, Col. De Ferriere refused to be again secreted, and desired to be left to himself, assuring them that he would not be taken alive. Immediately, on the exchange of the usual marine salutations, the Captain sprang to De Ferriere's side, clasped his hand with joy, and exclaimed, "You are safe; that vessel is a Yankee!" This was the end of his danger, and the incubus of suspense, anxiety and fear, which the "reign of terror" produced wherever the loyalists were on the Continent, gradually lifted from his mind, as he left the shores of his native country behind.

    Arriving at New York he met Col. John Lincklaen with whom he came to Cazenovia, Madison County. While at Cazenovia himself and Mr. Lincklaen occasionally went to Canaseraga to talk French with Mr. Dennie, the only man in this region of the country with whom they could converse in that language. It was at these visits that Angel De Ferriere, then a young man of twenty-two, formed the acquaintance of Polly Dennie, Lewis Dennie's only daughter, a respectable young woman, with pleasant manners and civilized habits, said by some to have been very beautiful, and resembling the race to which her mother belonged but very little. In due time they were married, and settled near Cazenovia. Subsequently he was prevailed upon by his wife's friends, to settle at Wampsville, Madison County, where her brother, Jonathan Dennie, presented his wife a fine farm. Mr. De Ferriere added to this until he was owner of about 3,000 acres of valuable land.

    In 1817, he went to France to present his claims and receive his heritage from the once princely estates of his family. His inheritance enabled him to promptly complete all payments on his Lenox land, and indulge a cultivated taste in adorning his American home. Here he reared a family of five children, sending them from home to be educated. Here he died in 1832. At the family homestead, in Wampsville, Madison County, is the De Ferriere monument which bears the inscription:---

    ANGEL DE FERRIERE was born January 8th, 1769, AT NIORT DEPARTMENT DES DEUX SEVRES IN FRANCE. Died September 17th, 1832, aged 63 years.


    IN MEMORY OF POLLY DE FERRIERE, CONSORT OF ANGEL DE FERRIERE; Born March, 1774; Died March, 1853, aged 79 years.


    Note n.---The Bruces are said to be of Scotch and Dutch lineage. The name in Scottish history is synonymous with greatness. The following extract from a sketch published when B. F. Bruce (son of Joseph Bruce,) was Member of Legislature, suggests that the spirit of their Scottish ancestors may have descended through all the centuries from the illustrious Robert Bruce, to the present generation. "Mr. Bruce has perhaps more of an air distingue than any other member of the Lower House. His tall, finely developed figure, his proud, erect bearing and his well-shaped head, combine to attract the attention of the spectator, in glancing over the gentlemen who compose the Assembly. Mr. Bruce has a deep sonorous voice which has been highly cultivated, and as an orator he fully commands the attention of the listener. Some of his most brilliant speeches were extemporaneously delivered; in fact he seldom puts his ideas on paper, preferring to trust himself to the impulse of the occasion."---[See Civil List, Chapter 2.]


    Note o.---The raising of the first church building, at the Opening, was made an "occasion," it being something new to erect a church edifice, and the frame, also was of heavy timbers. Madison could furnish from within her own borders a more than sufficient number of stalwart men to rear the ponderous "bents"; but men of superior physical strength were held in high esteem in those days of stern realities; the society was doing a big thing, and it was a time to be complimentary; therefore a special invitation to attend the raising was sent to five men, living just over the line in Augusta, who were thus endowed by nature. These were Daniel and Benjamin Warren, Archibald and Parker Manchester, and Noah Leonard. They of course accepted the honor and attended; and it was a compliment that each was proud to remember and to refer to long years after. Dea. Benjamin Warren, one of the five, stood six feet in height, weighed upwards of 200 pounds, and was possessed of enormous physical powers. Pardon Manchester was an inch taller, nearly of the same weight, and not withstanding his giant proportions was possessed of an elasticity and quickness of motion almost superhuman. This man was for a time a resident of Madison. During that residence he happened one day to be at a tavern on Augusta east hill, and got involved in a quarrel---a too common occurrence with him---in which he was assailed by six men, who all made for him at once. As they came on, Manchester gave the foremost man a terrible kick in the abdomen; then, as fast as he could deliver as many blows, he knocked down three more. But the remaining two gave him a hard fight; his flying fists failed every time to hit the mark, and he could only hurl them from him through his superior rapidity of action. At length, the floored ones beginning to rally, he decided to retreat, but on the attempt found both doors and windows fastened! Quick as lightning he seized the first one and then the other antagonist and threw them across the room; then, turning to a window, he jumped several feet from the floor, planted both feet in the center of the lower sash, and in a shower of flying glass and splinters landed out door in an upright position and made good his escape!


    Note p.---ERI RICHARDSON, one of the Richardson brothers, was a member of the Legislature in 1822, and represented his constituents worthily and satisfactorily. While at Albany, he gave his whole attention, first to the understanding, and then to the performance of his duties. But, unlike many other legislators, he cared little for mere etiquette. An anecdote, illustrating his singular indifference to the commonest observances of cultivated life, as well as the peculiar temperament of the man, is told of him: The Major, as he was called (he was so commissioned in 1812,) had an inveterate habit of spitting. Early in his term as Assemblyman he was sitting in his room at Albany, preparing, with pen in hand and busy brain, the speech he was to deliver before the august body of his peers, and as usual, when all absorbed in a subject, was spitting in every direction upon the carpet. A servant came in to perform some office, and observing this, shoved the spittoon in front of him; the Major was oblivious, and out went another mouthful to the left; the Major's eyes were still bent upon his paper, his thoughts were deep in the intricacies of his theme, and his mouth working nervously; it soon filled, and away went another copious ejectment, this time to the right; the servant pushed the convenience to the right; the Major's salivary glands rapidly secreted again, and while his lips were apparently gathering for one grand discharge in front, the servant, hoping to anticipate it, gave the appurtenance a desperate shove with the broom in that direction. "Now, see here!" said the Major, just brought to consciousness, "do you take that d____d thing right out of the way, or I'll spit in it!" This story leaked out, got home, and made much .amusement at the Major's expense. It has been repeatedly told in and out of print, with variations, but it rightfully belongs where we place it.


    Note q.---The Warren family, noticed in the Stockbridge chapter, is one of the oldest, capable of being traced in this country. Its progenitor, or original ancestor upon New England soil, was Sir Richard Warren, an English Baronet; a puritan (if old colonial history is correct,) of the most rigid and bigoted kind. He came to Plymouth, Mass., with the puritan colonists in the next vessel after the Mayflower (probably about 1632). With him came his only son, Sir James Warren, who was at the time married and had one or more sons then in their childhood. At his death also expired the family title inherited in England, titles being even at that early day obsolete and valueless in the already republican colony, except perhaps a few Crown officers in the new settlements. From these descended the Warrens of New England, and from them the Warrens of New York and other Northern States, till they have become (to use an inflated comparison) as "numerous as the sands of the sea." The grandfather of Gen. Joseph Warren of Bunker Hill memory, and the grandfather of John Warren, of Stockbridge, were brothers; sons of a grandson in some degree (not ascertained) of James. Benjamin, the father of John Warren, was a native of Raynham, Plymouth Colony, Mass., but removed to Royalston, Worcester County, about 1769. He was a soldier in the old French war, so-called, and subsequently a soldier of the revolution. In the latter, he served from the first general call of the patriots to arms until October, 1777, when he fell in the battle of Stillwater Plains, the day before the taking of Gen. Burgoyne, and died instantly, a musket ball entering his forehead and passing through the center of the brain. A brother and a nephew were in a rear rank; they saw him fall, paused over his dead body as they advanced, and saw that he was dead; there was no time for even a pulsation of grief over kindred remains; the battle was raging; the same moment they were pressed on with the hurrying troops of the command who were advancing to a charge. The remains of the father of John Warren were not again identified; the fallen of that day's contest were at night hastily gathered and received a common sepulture, unknelled and uncoffined, but not unmourned.

C O N C L U S I O N.


    Our task is done, and yet we have a few concluding words to offer for the consideration of those readers who may discover that certain persons, events, &c., well known to themselves, have been omitted, while other matter corresponding, of only equal and perhaps often of less importance, appears upon the record. We desire to remind them that this was unavoidable. At an early stage in our labors of collecting the material for the foregoing work we learned by brief experience that a local history, necessarily made up chiefly from oral data, could not be written in full; there is literally no end to such data, and there must be a limit to the matter composing a book. From the long array of names of early settlers and prominent men, and the vast quantity of incidents, events, &c., gleaned in our travels for that purpose over the County, we have selected that which in our judgment was most valuable for preservation and the most illustrative of the pioneer days; which should avoid tedious repetition of similar experiences as much as possible, while covering the whole ground and retaining as much matter of local interest as a convenient and not too expensive volume could embody. After selecting from the mass which our nine years' toil had gathered, we were unable to compress that selection within the limit of the six hundred pages announced in connection with the price in the prospectus of the work; but rather than abridge in that which seemed to belong to our readers---since was it already obtained---we have swelled the volume by an addition of one hundred and seventy-four pages, in order to give such selection complete. Also, we are aware that notwithstanding our earnest efforts, we may have failed to obtain the names of many persons equally as worthy of honorable mention as those who are thus noticed in the foregoing pages. And further: that without doubt many incidents quite as interesting as anything given, are lost to the work, from having been either passed by unknowingly when in search of them, or not occurring at the time to the memory of our informants. We can only deeply regret any serious omission from whatever cause.

L. M. H.



E1 - Page 322, on 10th line from top, instead of "successful," read "unsuccessful."
E2 - Page 300, 5th line from the bottom, for "town," read "house."
E3 - Page 510, 14th line from top, to place of "The latter," read "Daniel Crouse."
E4 - Page 569, 9th line from bottom, for "Bullard," read "Ballard." E5 - Page 570, 12th line from the top, for "and," read "once."
E6 - Page 667, 26th line, omit "*," also corresponding note at bottom of page.
E7 - Page 729, 4th line, for 'east," read "west." E8 - Also on same page, 13th line, for 'west," read "east."
E9 - In appendix, page 761, in note (g,) read "William," instead of Elijah."

Unable to find reference on page 322 above. --- Tim Stowell 11 Jun 2005

    APPENDIX.---Note "a" refers to page 158; "b," 173; "c," 228; "d," 241; "e," 286; "f," 299; "g," 303; "h," 331; "i," 334; "j," 338; "k," 373; "l," 454; "m," 489; "n," 520; "o," 615; "p," 646; "q," 744.

Note p is actually on page 640. --- Tim Stowell 11 Jun 2005

1 - It is said he descended, by way of his mother (through which line all Indian genealogy is traced), from "Thick-Neck," a savage chief who held dominion in Chenango, and who ruled the Indian village at Oxford many generations ago. Thick-Neck was subdued by the Oneidas, and the remnant left of his tribe were adopted into the Oneida family.
2 - Liquor was, no doubt, the cause of his frenzied madness in this instance.
3 - Mary Antone was a handsome, bright Indian girl, yet, having much of her father's revengeful disposition.
4 - This occurred in Middleport, on the Chenango, south of Hamilton village.
Transcribed by Dianne D.
March, 2005
If you have resources for Madison County or would like to volunteer to help with look-ups, please e-mail me at Tim Stowell
Madison County History - 1872
Madison Co, NY Page
There were 4,533 visitors from 11 Jun 2005 - 2 Jun 2016 - thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 10 Feb 2018